Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mallory may have had "youthful smartness", but all of the interesting designers worked for Portis.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Older Portis

Here is a nice old one with a raw brim edge and wide sweat. The color is spectacular. In different lighting its Royal Blue, blue purple, or blue grey. More of Portis' fine ribbon work on this one too. Also a great warranty card was hiding behind the sweat.

B

blue_2.jpg

blue_4.jpg

blue_7.jpg

blue_8.jpg

blue_9.jpg

blue_10.jpg

blue_11.jpg

blue_12.jpg

blue_13.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Here is a nice old one with a raw brim edge and wide sweat. The color is spectacular. In different lighting its Royal Blue, blue purple, or blue grey. More of Portis' fine ribbon work on this one too. Also a great warranty card was hiding behind the sweat.

B

blue_8.jpg

What a super hat! I love the way you have totally abandoned yourself to your hat addiction. If you lived in my place you would have to build tunnels through them to move.

billysmom

One Too Many
buler said:

B

blue_2.jpg

This is really lovely, Buler! Portis always seems to have that extra twist to make each special. In this case, several twists!

Sue

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Portis Two Tone

4116309954_be6669388e_b.jpg
4116309718_0aeb137440_o.jpg
4116310170_84962dc2bd.jpg
4115542329_9e6e539071_b.jpg
4115542579_dc0787c636.jpg
4116310872_f59017d302.jpg
4115543149_371d27f0df.jpg

2-5/8"+ wide brim with bound edge to match crown. As creased 5" at front center 3-3/4" at rear. Thin and soft 2-1/8" unreeded sweatband. Navy and Medium Gray goes or clashes with anything.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Portis Sterling

Got this one from ScottF. The ribbon treatment on this lid reminds me a bit of the Stetson Privateer. This ribbon is two-tone -- dark taupe and copper. Interestingly, the copper part of the ribbon is also a different weave from the rest of the ribbon -- a sort of box weave, compared to the upper two pleats. Overall, this one is in great condition, with a supple sweat. The felt itself is dress weight, and quite soft. Brim width is 2 5/8". The crown is slightly more than 5 1/4". Originally, I tried out a diamond crease -- but I have since decided to go with what I call an "elevated center dent."

Portis-a.jpg

Portis-4.jpg

PortisRibbon.jpg

PortisRibbon-2.jpg

PortisLiner.jpg

PortisSweat-2.jpg

PortisSweat-1.jpg

Portis-e.jpg

Portis-b.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

EDITED to add new photos...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
EricH said:
What can I say? Sigh. That is a beauty and a Grail that eludes me yet. Congrats.

Eric
buried in snow, and hats

Thanks, Eric. A Portis has eluded me for a long time, as well. Thankfully, this one was a bit too large for ScottF! :)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Is the crown lower on yours than the crown on Sues hat?

It looks that way, doesn't it? But I'm not sure how much that's due to the photo angles, etc. Hopefully, Sue will post hers on this thread and provide some dimensions. ;)

I guess the way I'd describe this lid, based on things I've read here on the Lounge, is that my Portis probably has crown dimensions more similar to an Akubra Squatter (as opposed to an Open Road or Campdraft crown). The height is in the 5 1/4" to 5 3/8" range, and the proportions of the crown itself aren't quite as large as on an OR. A different look, but a good one, I think. :)

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
...A different look, but a good one, I think. :)

Yup! :eusa_clap

Variety is the spice of life isn't it?

Man I love these Portis hats, especially the pugs. Whoever was in charge of design was certainly willing to take risks and correctly, I think.

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
It looks that way, doesn't it? But I'm not sure how much that's due to the photo angles, etc. Hopefully, Sue will post hers on this thread and provide some dimensions. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Ok - Here ya go!

Portis-Dec.jpg

DSCF1831.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1833.jpg

DSCF1834.jpg

Portis-Button.jpg

Dimensions:

Brim: 2 5/8"
Crown: 5 1/4" (+)
Ribbon: 1 1/4"
Sweat: 2" reeded

Sue

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
RBH said:
I like it Jimmy.
Is the crown lower on yours than the crown on Sues hat?

The crowns appear to be identical. I think crowns tend to look taller on diminutive noggins like mine. And, as Jimmy says, the angle will influence the perspective.

Sue

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for weighing in, Sue! As far as I'm concerned, that lid is an absolute classic. Looks like the the height of your crown is pretty much identical to mine. Two different variations of the same lid...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Cleaning my new Portis Tissue Weight

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy it arrived today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230415951374&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It appears to be in great shape but man is it FILTHY. It's crying out for a trip to the Naptha spa, but I need some advice first.

The sweatband isn't leather, it's cloth, and it appears to have had some kind of cushioned backing that has deteriorated into a fine black powder - or else the original owner operated a soot farm. The yellow plasticky/wax papery/crinkly stuff between the sweatband and the liner is intact and is supple, not brittle.

My question is, will a dunk in the Naptha bucket harm the sweatband or that yellow thingy?

Also, the liner is spot glued in place, not sewn - was that typical? I have to take it out and clean it too - it's not stained but that sooty stuff has found it's way between the liner and the brylcream shield.

Any pointers you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran