Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Failsworth 'Rodney'

Probably late 60's maybe early 70's from the label. Near new condition so despite not needing yet another brown stingy brim...

Fairly deep pinch and square sides for an English Trilby.

Failsworth are still going, and produce decent caps, but their hats aren't what they were up until the late 70's.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Stetson Vogue

I was thinking this Vogue was from the early 50s with the plastic liner protective cover but it also has an unreeded sweatband which I didn't know that Stetson was using in the 50s. Any Stetson experts care to chime

photo-28_zps4ff2dcb2.jpg

photo-18_zps3514dffd.jpg

photo-26_zpsd77668d4.jpg

photo-17_zps9a44d8f8.jpg

photo-11_zps2159b960.jpg

photo_zps7805cbf8.jpg

ManofKent

I started out wearing smaller brims but over time decided I liked the wider ones better. That being said, those little guys look good on you.

I wasn't actively seeking out small brims, but I keep coming across them for not very much on ebay and they're hard to resist. I think the English hat makers adopted the short brimmed Trilby in a way they didn't adopt broader brimmed fedoras as much, so they're pretty common in comparison. The new CampDraft feels masssive in comparison to what I'm used to, but I suspect I'll get used to it. Of course we never adopted the wide brim Westerns (althought if I recall Christy's invented them), so don't have the really wide brimmed hats.

PurpleSage -sorry no help on dating, but it's a fine looking hat.

g.durand

One Too Many
Richard, if it's any consolation, my new Campdraft seems massive, too, in comparison to my my other relatively wide-brimmed hats. I'm debating whether to have the brim trimmed, but I'm going to give myself time to get used to it. I'm reluctant to alter a vintage hat since there won't be any more like it produced. I also feel that even modern production hats that are well made and well-designed deserve some respect, too.

ManofKent

Richard, if it's any consolation, my new Campdraft seems massive, too, in comparison to my my other relatively wide-brimmed hats. I'm debating whether to have the brim trimmed, but I'm going to give myself time to get used to it. I'm reluctant to alter a vintage hat since there won't be any more like it produced. I also feel that even modern production hats that are well made and well-designed deserve some respect, too.

You've summed up my feelings too! I'm not rushing into brim trimming.

ManofKent

New arrival from over the pond. I'll try and get some better photos and put them in the Cavanagh thread.

Cavanagh 'Louis'.

No idea whether the box is original. The hat is in near mint condition apart from the owners initials embossed on the sweat. Sewn in liner, but no idea of age. Very dark grey in colour - not quite black. Cavanagh edge, and a 1 7/8" brim, crown a little over 5 1/2" open. US Size 7 1/2 LO - fits perfectly.

Purplesage

One Too Many
I've had quite a few stingy brim hats including pork pies that don't seem to be that much in demand, at least here or on ebay. I've taken a loss on a lot of the ones I've sold. I have a very nice Wormser for sale that has a 1 3/4" brim and a tall crown which I have been trying to sell for quite a while. I also have a real nice pork pie that has a burgundy velour ribbon which is real unique that hasn't generated that much interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen