Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TPD166

One Too Many
Alan - the Bancroft military hat company was what I first thought of when I saw your post. They were located in Framingham, MA, and started about 1900-01 (just before they went bankrupt in the early 2000s their last facility was in Arkansas I believe). I have seen and owned many Bancroft military hats, but I have never personally seen one from earlier than the 1930s. And the earlier ones (1930s-1960s) are top quality. Maybe they made civilian hats initially and switched to military at some point? Not much history on the company out there that I can find.

Bancroft genuine beaver. Very similar in softness and finish to the Stetson Clear Nutria I've posted recently to the WHAYWT thread. It needs to go to the groomer, which should perk it up nicely, I think. I've not had any luck with Bancroft or the store (Donath Acker Co. Harvey, Ill.) - any relation to the military cap mfgr. Bancroft in Mass.? I see a United Hatters of N.A. union label... other forensics will need to be done carefully from home. Will post and update.

These just arrived, courtesy of moontheloon. Thanks, bro!
They were posted in detail a week ago Sunday. A pair of Thomas Begg Originals, from New York.

First, this Cocoanut.

A little big, but that is why the Powers That Be made foam tape.
Next, this Milan

Fit is perfect. A little Lexol, and the bands are like new. Dimensions look 60's, and the Persian Pickle pugarees would put them later in the decade. Interesting note while doing detective work on the tags...Milan has a union label on the size tag, but the cocoanut has no union label. I didn't see one under the sweat either.
A couple of cool additions to the warm weather lineup. Funny, usually the cross-country flow of psychologically addictive weeds goes from west to east...more proof that Loungers do things differently! :)

Great pugs, man. Great.

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out after your efforts to revive it. If it wasn't so tiny size-wise I'd give you $10 for it as-is. :p

The worst of the dirt came out with a brush and sponge. I will probably try the naphtha bath just for the experience. There is a scrape toward the front and a crack (just off the ribbon into the brim at the back) that probably negate any value. I'm sure someone would enjoy it for a yard-work hat. If it fit me I would have no problem wearing it.

The worst of the dirt came out with a brush and sponge. I will probably try the naphtha bath just for the experience. There is a scrape toward the front and a crack (just off the ribbon into the brim at the back) that probably negate any value. I'm sure someone would enjoy it for a yard-work hat. If it fit me I would have no problem wearing it.
I'm one of the few members here who likes the look of a "beater" hat, so a little dirt and/or defects in the felt wouldn't bother me at all. But I wear size 7-1/2, so I'd need a chin strap to keep it on my head. :D

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thanks! The Playboy is an amazing upgrade from a 60's version I used to own. It really is remarkable what a decade can do.

The Stetsonian is my favorite of the two though, really unique feel to the felt in terms of the finish, lightweight and squishy as our friend Seabass would say.

Heres another new arrival I forgot to post. Fits fantastic shockingly enough. This ones for Matt Deckard.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
wow Ofcourse

those are stunning

the Stetsonian and the Playboy are just out of this world

great haul my friend

the Playboy look very much like one I just received ... yours is in much better condition.
is it like a bluish gray ?
... almost robins egg ?

foamy

A-List Customer
Some very nice finds there fellas. I keep trying. There seems to be a dearth of fedoras in my neck of the woods and everything I like on ebay seems to go for a dear price.

So, I order. And after the obligatory 3-month wait, this one finally showed up. My first time out with it and my first center dent.

CD Silverbelly.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Some very nice finds there fellas. I keep trying. There seems to be a dearth of fedoras in my neck of the woods and everything I like on ebay seems to go for a dear price.

So, I order. And after the obligatory 3-month wait, this one finally showed up. My first time out with it and my first center dent.

View attachment 38921

great job on the crease

looks perfect !!

nice and high ... awesome

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
wow Ofcourse

those are stunning

the Stetsonian and the Playboy are just out of this world

great haul my friend

the Playboy look very much like one I just received ... yours is in much better condition.
is it like a bluish gray ?
... almost robins egg ?

Its almost identical in color to a Stratoliner from similar vintage I own, but the playboy definitely has a bit more of a sky blue/ robins egg to it.

foamy

A-List Customer
Thanks, gentlemen.

Moon, I've been taking my cues from you and your CD's (they all look great) as well as everyone else's bashes. You told me early on that I'd enjoy and come to prefer open crowns—and I do.

I'm liking this lid, and like Fruno, I can see it becoming a favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy