Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
My Akubra Cattleman worked by hand. Haven't had time to work in the fine details & set with steam yet but will soon. It won't hold the pinches without steam. But I'm going to wear it some today & start breaking it in. Hopefully will have time to steam & finish it tomorrow. It will serve as a summertime outdoor adventure type hat.

21e52ec50e.jpg

21e567cb70.jpg

21e59833ce.jpg

My Akubra Cattleman worked by hand. Haven't had time to work in the fine details & set with steam yet but will soon. It won't hold the pinches without steam. But I'm going to wear it some today & start breaking it in. Hopefully will have time to steam & finish it tomorrow. It will serve as a summertime outdoor adventure type hat.

21e52ec50e.jpg

21e567cb70.jpg

21e59833ce.jpg
Nice! I like it just like this, although it will look great with that crease.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
The Borsalino Velour I was wearing today is apparently such a large chunk of dark matter that it has a gravitational field. I entered my favorite thrift this morning, and even though it rarely produces a fedora, this was immediately sucked into my hands.
DSCN2007 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The only info is the stamp on the sweatband,
DSCN1980 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
So now I know, black velour attracts black velour. I'll have to remember that.
DSCN2008 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
~ 2 3/8" brim, ribbon a touch over 2", back bow, unlined.
DSCN2005 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2006 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2010 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Does anyone have any ideas as to origin or age?

Thanks,
Michael

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The Borsalino Velour I was wearing today is apparently such a large chunk of dark matter that it has a gravitational field. I entered my favorite thrift this morning, and even though it rarely produces a fedora, this was immediately sucked into my hands.

Thanks,
Michael
Now THAT is different!
Love it! And a cool name even!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

21e52ec50e.jpg

21e567cb70.jpg

21e59833ce.jpg
nice work Jack

Thanks,
Michael

That's a find, Mike! Post it in the German Hat thread, and Steve will have good guess.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Now THAT is different!
Love it! And a cool name even!
I'll agree with you Moe, different for my collection at least. The color of the ribbon is probably nearest truth in the last photo above. The back bow is pretty cool.

That's a find, Mike! Post it in the German Hat thread, and Steve will have good guess.
Thanks Charlie. I will post it over in the German thread.

Michael

Thanks,
Michael
Hat spanker! Love the back bow and the color. Interesting find.

Well, here are two found on one of my weekend treasure hunt drives.....Both are Lion brand hats.....(later Beaver Brand). The Whippet clone is a very unusual color and a 7 1/2.....sweat is very stiff and put on with no reed.......grey is a cross between a playboy (ribbon) and a Stratoliner (narrow bound edge) clone and in the best shape overall.....sweat is in great condition and has the onionskin behind it.....size large 7 3/8. Both are project hats hat and do exibit some mothing......both need their linings at least pressed.....
Not sure if I will resize the grey.....
Cheers,
M
PS: Colors are represented pretty well.......
20170413_151434.jpg
20170413_151638.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I'll agree with you Moe, different for my collection at least. The color of the ribbon is probably nearest truth in the last photo above. The back bow is pretty cool.

Thanks Charlie. I will post it over in the German thread.

Michael
Still think the name is the best. I mean, I've heard of a Love Shack before, but a Spanke Hut? Are you sure it's black and not a Shade of Grey?:D

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Hat spanker! Love the back bow and the color. Interesting find.
That back bow is pretty cool. The more I look at the hat the better I like it.

Still think the name is the best. I mean, I've heard of a Love Shack before, but a Spanke Hut? Are you sure it's black and not a Shade of Grey?:D
Given enough light it could be one of several shades of grey, but I think at it's heart it's black.

Thanks,
Michael

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well, here are two found on one of my weekend treasure hunt drives.....Both are Lion brand hats.....(later Beaver Brand). The Whippet clone is a very unusual color and a 7 1/2.....sweat is very stiff and put on with no reed.......grey is a cross between a playboy (ribbon) and a Stratoliner (narrow bound edge) clone and in the best shape overall.....sweat is in great condition and has the onionskin behind it.....size large 7 3/8. Both are project hats hat and do exibit some mothing......both need their linings at least pressed.....
Not sure if I will resize the grey.....
Cheers,
M
PS: Colors are represented pretty well.......
View attachment 72135 View attachment 72136
nice

The grey has very much a Wanderer look ... which is basically a Playboy with a bound edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot