Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
I have always thought a straight center dent like this is nice, but you have enough felt there to play with. See if the hat will allow you to spread it out to a diamond crease with some nice pinches. Lots of pictures and videos on the lounge with instruction.

Still working on it....

91d69f2174f4d3c066b396d6bbe96fd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65 Classic

Practically Family
GREAT hat there, 65.

Here's a great thread which shows a Longley Catalog and some examples.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/longley-low-alexander-catalog.50973/

There isn't a whole lot of information about Longley after 1920. A few ads, but nothing much. Most of the hats we see from Longley and the ads are pre-1920, so my guess along with the guesses of some around the lounge, was that Longley was either bought or went out of business completely sometime in the early-mid 1920's. Rothschild was a hat distributor so its interesting to see both names on the logo. The most probable reason was becasue Rothschild probably bought the Longley name which was established by Longley, Low, and Alexander in Chicago in the late 1800's. Since it was an established brand, Rothschild made it one of their "lines" of hats.

Here is a Rothschild ad from 1919 where it makes mention of Longley

And here is a Rothschild ad from 1920 where it mentions Longley as well.

Your logo is pretty identical with the two birds and Rothschild on top. The only difference is "Longley" is spelled out on the lower banner.

You should also post photos of that great hat in the "Pre-1940's Dress Hat" thread

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pre-1940s-dress-hats.42884/
Thank you for the info and links

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Great pick up, Michael.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thanks Fruno. It will be a fun one to wear.

one of the beat hats I've seen around lately
great score
Thanks Anthony. Any idea on the age? There are a couple of labels under the sweat that I haven't explored yet. I want to let a couple of light conditioner treatments to settle in before I think about easing out the sweat to look at them.

Thanks,
Michael

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fruno. It will be a fun one to wear.

Thanks Anthony. Any idea on the age? There are a couple of labels under the sweat that I haven't explored yet. I want to let a couple of light conditioner treatments to settle in before I think about easing out the sweat to look at them.

Thanks,
Michael
I'm no Wormser expert but I'd say no later than 50s... and 50s is probably right where it is from.
... and it looks to be unreeded ... with those it is more the stitching you have to worry about than the actual sweat.
My personal advice ... if you feel the slightest bit questionable about it then do not tug on the sweat just to get some photos ... it is completely not worth popping stitches ... trust me I've done it.
The hat is gorgeous and in impeccable condition

40Cal

One Too Many
IMG_4319 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4322 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4324 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4321 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
'Nuff said?
IMG_4317 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4308 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
2 3/4" raw edge brim, 5 1/2" open crown, 7/8" ribbon. Very light felt, comes in at 100 grams even.

Michael
Michael, That is a beautiful hat! I am a huge fan of Wormser.... yours is one of the best I've seen. Late forties early fifties would be my guess. Spectacular!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm no Wormser expert but I'd say no later than 50s... and 50s is probably right where it is from.
... and it looks to be unreeded ... with those it is more the stitching you have to worry about than the actual sweat.
My personal advice ... if you feel the slightest bit questionable about it then do not tug on the sweat just to get some photos ... it is completely not worth popping stitches ... trust me I've done it.
The hat is gorgeous and in impeccable condition
I'm less than not an expert. Yes, unreeded sweat, and I too am familiar with popping stitches. Dammit. The leather seems quite supple, but I'm in no hurry to fool with it. No tip protector in this one. The bottom half of what I think was the original price tag is still there, but the price part is gone.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael, That is a beautiful hat! I am a huge fan of Wormser.... yours is one of the best I've seen. Late forties early fifties would be my guess. Spectacular!
Thanks Robert. I can see why you are a huge fan of Wormser if this is a good example of their felt. Very nice stuff. I see this is one of the hats with the trolly button sewn onto the hat.

Thanks,
Michael

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_4319 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4322 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4324 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4321 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
'Nuff said?
IMG_4317 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4308 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
2 3/4" raw edge brim, 5 1/2" open crown, 7/8" ribbon. Very light felt, comes in at 100 grams even.

Michael
Wow! Love everything about this Wormser! The detail of the liner, ribbon treatment, and that felt color, exquisite. Let me guess, you bought it at Goodwill for $5?

Willebe

A-List Customer
Father's Day gift arrived
View attachment 77786
BGCD - unsteamed as yet, still thinking about it. Just drycreased for this pic, then popped it back out. No rush. love it. Felt is not as stiff as I dreaded. No idea how the wind cord works, or where it goes, do you cut the loop?
Great hat, Karl. I was just talking to my wife about one of those for my birthday. She isn't keen on the BGG, but I think it has more potential. She is stuck on the green aspect and not it's ability to be versatile. I have enjoyed my Father's day Akubras, and plan on getting many years of adventures out of them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21