Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Head shot

ac4249c2856ff29abc20dbb5c14518a2.jpg

The crown is 5 1/4", the brim 2 1/2". 126g. The felt is extremely malleable, thin and dense with a nice soft hand and my favorite hat color to boot! Now I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.
From clues and a little research I'm guessing '53 to '55.
Any opinions confirming or refuting this welcome!

Powered by happy thoughts

That one pushes all the right buttons!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you on the quality of most JAB items. I only buy select items from them when they're massively discounted. This hat fits that category. I consider it something to wear with a seersucker suit or blazer during the warm summer months. Made in the USA for $8. Can't really go wrong.

If you buy one, I'd be interested in your evaluation of the product. There are certainly people here with more knowledge of hats than myself.

I did buy it, but it was $20 and not $8. Story of my life.

If you're looking for someone with lots of experience and knowledge of hats to give an opinion you're going to have to wait for someone else. I'm just a hack. But I'm with you; for the price we can't go too far wrong.

Picked this one up yesterday. I left it in the shop once before, but these things sometimes haunt me in my sleep (paranomal hat-activity?). It was still there but it looked a bit sad really. But after only a little brushing and steaming it remembered what it was.
Battersby Superior homburg in black, size 58. Quite a wide brim for a homburg at 6,5cm, crown at 11cm at the pinch. Lovely felt and well done finishing. The creases in the ribbon will come out after a little more TLC. The way the bow and ribbon are done make me think it might be even older that the late forties to early fifties I think it's from.

battersby homburg_02.jpg
battersby homburg_01.jpg
battersby homburg_03.jpg
battersby homburg_05.jpg
battersby homburg_04.jpg
battersby homburg_06.jpg
battersby homburg_07.jpg
battersby homburg_10.jpg
battersby homburg_11.jpg
battersby homburg_09.jpg

Perry Underwood

One of the Regulars
This is an Akubra Plainsman that I received on Friday. I purchased it on eBay for the opening bid. There was an alligator pin affixed on the front of the crown. One of the first things I did after receiving the hat was to remove the pin. I was the only bidder on the hat, and perhaps it's because of the pin. Fortunately, only a pin hole was left after taking the pin out.

In the first photos, you can see my attempts at changing the crease from a pork pie to a teardrop. Still have some work to be done on it, but I think it's looking good. The last photo is from the eBay auction.

Akubra Plainsman 3.jpg

Akubra Plainsman 4.jpg

Akubra Plainsman 1.jpg

The hat is a size 7 1/4. I usually buy 7 3/8, but I wanted to try one size smaller. The hat fits well, but I need to put a long oval into the hat using a hat stretcher. Thanks for looking, Perry

This is an Akubra Plainsman that I received on Friday. I purchased it on eBay for the opening bid. There was an alligator pin affixed on the front of the crown. One of the first things I did after receiving the hat was to remove the pin. I was the only bidder on the hat, and perhaps it's because of the pin. Fortunately, only a pin hole was left after taking the pin out.

In the first photos, you can see my attempts at changing the crease from a pork pie to a teardrop. Still have some work to be done on it, but I think it's looking good. The last photo is from the eBay auction.

View attachment 99468

View attachment 99469

View attachment 99470

The hat is a size 7 1/4. I usually buy 7 3/8, but I wanted to try one size smaller. The hat fits well, but I need to put a long oval into the hat using a hat stretcher. Thanks for looking, Perry
Sometimes it just need the right eye to see the potential in a hat, Perry. Nice catch and you're getting there with the reshaping.

I still owe you some more hats from last weeks' find. In between the food and drink and all other things christmassy you can have a look at some nice hats (it's good for the soul). First one is a Rehfus Oberländer antilope hat in grey. Size 57, with a bound brim at 6,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Lovely feel of the felt (I really like these antilope finishes). All in all a very nice find. I'm thinking late fifties to mid sixties for this one.

oberlander_02.jpg
oberlander_01.jpg
oberlander_03.jpg
oberlander_04.jpg
oberlander_05.jpg
oberlander_07.jpg
oberlander_08.jpg
oberlander_09.jpg
oberlander_10.jpg
oberlander_11.jpg

RJR

I still owe you some more hats from last weeks' find. In between the food and drink and all other things christmassy you can have a look at some nice hats (it's good for the soul). First one is a Rehfus Oberländer antilope hat in grey. Size 57, with a bound brim at 6,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Lovely feel of the felt (I really like these antilope finishes). All in all a very nice find. I'm thinking late fifties to mid sixties for this one.

View attachment 99482 View attachment 99483 View attachment 99484 View attachment 99485 View attachment 99486 View attachment 99487 View attachment 99488 View attachment 99489 View attachment 99490 View attachment 99491
Very nice,great finish.

And another interesting find. Mauerer "Super" in blue. It was missing its liner, so I added this one which I had lying around. Size 57, bound brim at 6,5 cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. Mauerer has shop in Vienna since 1873, which still exists today. I visited it a few years ago; lovely shop with a nice old-world feel to it. The hat is a bit roomy for me, but I don't have a Mauerer hat yet and the colour is quite unusual.

mauerer_2.jpg
mauerer_1.jpg
mauerer_3.jpg
mauerer_4.jpg
mauerer_5.jpg
mauerer_6.jpg
mauerer_7.jpg
mauerer_8.jpg
mauerer_9.jpg
mauerer.jpg

This is an Akubra Plainsman that I received on Friday...In the first photos, you can see my attempts at changing the crease from a pork pie to a teardrop. Still have some work to be done on it, but I think it's looking good...
It can be difficult to modify a "factory" crease, but with a little patience and time you'll get it looking the way you want it. I prefer the Teardrop crease on that hat myself. Nice work, nice hat!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
40s Stratoliner thats too small, 30s Wilson in perfect shape (trying to find a fitting thread. I suppose the mallory mile will do since wilson was subcontracted by mallory), and a 40s Stetsonian (moths thought it was tasty, but I'll try to fix what i can)
89c36028c6d2e842878df89eb25246b9.jpg
776a97e0fa9fd38b339c8c7796f3ac98.jpg
b9260a0fa863d53b8949bae76120e1db.jpg
7ad1c5b992cd57cb7bedb666c074c53a.jpg
That’s Wilson sure is something... really tickles my envy bone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw