Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Stylemaster in moonstone arrived today. I ordered it with the contrasting band. After comparing to the instock hats at the store, I feel it was the right choice :)

2010-11-11145110.jpg

Wow! That's great! Good job!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Stylemaster in moonstone arrived today. I ordered it with the contrasting band. After comparing to the instock hats at the store, I feel it was the right choice :)

2010-11-11145110.jpg

That's honestly one of the best pics of the Stylemaster, especially it's shape, that I've seen on the Lounge.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone tell me what style or model this Borsalino is? It is very silky soft. I think it may be beaver. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

If you look behind the leather sweatband you may find the original label. It should be about the size of a fortune cookie fortune. That label will likely give some details such as color and block, and perhaps style as well.

I doubt the hat is beaver. It's most likely hare. I think the consensus is that Borsalino generally indicates beaver content by the use of Xs (or by stating as much in some other way).

Very nice hat. Kudos!

Last edited:

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Can't say I see anything wrong with it. Just wait to apply steam or moisture until you've got it how you want it. The brim will sort itself out with time, too! Gotta say, though, that the upturned brim in combination with the current shape you've got it in looks GREAT!!!

Thank you. I guess the dents and the top bash just aren't that defined yet. Like you say I'm sure a little moister will take care of that

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Lookin good Dasmoeturead ! Your correct, get that puppy good and wet a few times and it will only get BETTER ! You'll find the felt on that one softens up NICE the more weather you give it ! (NOT floppy, just the "hand " smooths out and it gets softer) . I've got two, one since 1972 and my current one that I wear almost daily almost 4 years ago. GOOD CHOICE :)

Thanks for that. I read most if not all of your posts on this hat. It sounded to me that this hat would suit my needs for a sturdy outdoor,in the woods, hunting,sunshade,stoke the fire type of hat. Also the color will not show the dirt as easy as my OR in Silverbelly (which will now be my dress hat). Thanks for all the info.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
If you look behind the leather sweatband you may find the original label. It should be about the size of a fortune cookie fortune. That label will likely give some details such as color and block, and perhaps style as well.

I doubt the hat is beaver. It's most likely hare. I think the consensus is that Borsalino generally indicates beaver content by the use of Xs (or by stating as much in some other way).

Very nice hat. Kudos!

Reads "Castoro" if beaver. Most multi-X are Velours--saw one that said Mink recently. I am skeptical it has any Beaver content meaning. They do say Marque Grand Luxe on liners of all I've encountered. Stamps have color of felt/ribbon and style code name.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Can't say I see anything wrong with it. Just wait to apply steam or moisture until you've got it how you want it. The brim will sort itself out with time, too! Gotta say, though, that the upturned brim in combination with the current shape you've got it in looks GREAT!!!

Speaking of the up turned brim, how do most people shape these hats? Another words what style is usually associated with the Bushman. I know it's pretty much a personnel thing, but I haven't seen to many example's on different bashings and what not. I'm pretty sure I like the style I have it shaped now,but you never know. Thanks for the help.

Neophyte

Speaking of the up turned brim, how do most people shape these hats? Another words what style is usually associated with the Bushman. I know it's pretty much a personnel thing, but I haven't seen to many example's on different bashings and what not. I'm pretty sure I like the style I have it shaped now,but you never know. Thanks for the help.

Most people here, even the Australian members, don't seem to know much about the Bushman. We had an Austalian member not to long ago who asked about it because he had never even heard of it lol. As it's only offered in America by DavidMorgan, my guess would be that "anything goes." As an open crown hat you can do whatever you want with it. DavidMorgan's picture gallery of the Bushman shows several possible styles. One of the prevailing styles I've seen in Australia is a low-crowned hat, especially with a telescope crease.

You could take that route, or you could mimic Monbla's fedora crease. Hell, you could put a cattleman's crease (American or Australian versions) in that baby. I think, though, that with your face shape, the loose-pinch crease and upturned brim seen in your dry-bash pictures works wonders.

Last edited:

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
That's honestly one of the best pics of the Stylemaster, especially it's shape, that I've seen on the Lounge.

thanks man. I was about to take the standard 3/4 shot when I thought, if the shot was more straight on, people might see that it's not as tapered as some think. Certainly more so than something like a Fed IV, but the way some folk carry on, you'd think it was shaped like a bathing cap ;)

Neophyte

Thanks for the info ,and the compliment.

You're welcome :). I'm trying to see if I can get my Posts Per Day average to 8.00 and above without annoying the ever-loving hell out of my fellow Loungers. I figure I might try to help out as long as I'm pushing it :). I'm currently at 7.60ppd (sad, isn't it lol!).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hey guy, here's an example of what I have done with BOTH of my Bushmans (pics are of the newest) . I'm not a fan of upturned brims but everyone has their own feelings on that subject. :) I feel they don't work that well with large brimmed hats as they do with smaller brims.

Bushman1-1.jpg

Bushman1.jpg

Bushmaster2.jpg

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Hey guy, here's an example of what I have done with BOTH of my Bushmans (pics are of the newest) . I'm not a fan of upturned brims but everyone has their own feelings on that subject. :) I feel they don't work that well with large brimmed hats as they do with smaller brims.

Bushman1-1.jpg

Bushman1.jpg

Bushmaster2.jpg

Yes I like that. I can't fiqure out how to put that dome in the center,after you bash the top, as per the Aukubra site.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If you want the Telescope style crease, you need to bring the crown DOWN to where you want it, work out a nice even ring all around (as seen from the top) THEN take a lot of steam and something nice and round like a grapefruit and work a dome into the center section of the crown ( as seen from the top making it define a ring at the sides as you do this) from the inside of the hat. Most hatters of course use a wooden block to do this in one operation but you can do it at home in steps. Take some pics when you get it done . BTW, the dome in the center is usually ABOVE the top of your head not touching so you need to set the first hight relative to where you wear your hat. Go for it :)

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
If you want the Telescope style crease, you need to bring the crown DOWN to where you want it, work out a nice even ring all around (as seen from the top) THEN take a lot of steam and something nice and round like a grapefruit and work a dome into the center section of the crown ( as seen from the top making it define a ring at the sides as you do this) from the inside of the hat. Most hatters of course use a wooden block to do this in one operation but you can do it at home in steps. Take some pics when you get it done . BTW, the dome in the center is usually ABOVE the top of your head not touching so you need to set the first hight relative to where you wear your hat. Go for it :)

That's pretty much what Akubra Say's. Your procedure is more detailed. I think the dome thing for me is unnecessary. I like the pinch, and the top of the crown doesn't touch the top of my head, so I will probably re-fine this. Funny story. I got the hat yesterday afternoon, and I was so excited I decided to try and form it up a bit, so I got the old steam kettle out that doesn't have a lid,and filled it up with water and put a saucer over the top. Left the room for a minute and when I came back into the kitchen the wooden handle on the teapot was in flames. I had to laugh. I didn't get much steaming done because the smoke detectors were going off. I was also cooking dinner in a crock pot and trying my hand at some cowboy biscuits in a dutch oven we just got. When the wife came home she said it smells so good in here. Has a bit of a smoky smell. I had to laugh. I didn't tell her about the fire. I think I will wait for it to rain, and shape it up then. Until then Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou