Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1 Aureliano!
+1 hat-o! love that wide brim.
looks from a distance to be western weight felt, so you're probably right on about it being a converted cowboy hat.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano; The hat is a stunning! I too would like to know more about the Mallory. I looked up the other references on the forum and googled for others about the Knockabout. It must be very rare as little info is available. Again, stunning. Congrats!

You need to search on Nokabout, not knockabout. Then you'll find more. It appears that early in Mallory's history, they used the "Nokabout" term to reference the felt weight/type and not a specific model name. The Nokabout name was used by Mallory pre-Stetson buyout and also used by Stetson after they bought Mallory.

B

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Mine at last, my holy grail hat! (thanks again, Zetwal!)

12-1.jpg

:thumb: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson xxxxx

I found this Stetson XXXXX on ebay. I'm debating weather to convert it, or leave it as is and sell it. I did my best to give it a dry bash, (Tom Mix) look. Great color and love the grosgrain. What y'all think?

DSC06129.jpg

DSC06130.jpg

DSC06131.jpg

DSC06132.jpg

DSC06133.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
Bolthead, I kind of like it for a flashy western. What is that, 1980s or so? I think that ribbon is pretty cool. I think I'd tend to leave it as is as it is a little different than most Stetson westerns.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
pw017-6.jpg

J-Lee Hats of Abilene Texas. I suspect this is a converted newer cowboy hat, but I really like the color and the wide brim. Thought it would make a nice summer fur felt. Needs to be cleaned and stretched slightly.

I was watching that. Put in a bid, but only half-heartedly.

From what I read J-Lee went out of business in the 1990s when the owner passed away.

I liked the color. I kind of wish I'd bid higher, but I'm glad a Lounger got her.

I was watching that. Put in a bid, but only half-heartedly.

From what I read J-Lee went out of business in the 1990s when the owner passed away.

I liked the color. I kind of wish I'd bid higher, but I'm glad a Lounger got her.

Well, of the two of us, you definitely got the nicer hat with that 7X.

Bolt, dude, don't touch that hat! That's a cool-looking Western, especially the way you have it bashed!

HatsEnough

Banned
LOL. I kind of did with that J-Lee what was done with that Playboy. I kind of passed on the J-Lee because I really wanted that 7X and buying too many all at once is baaaad... well, my wife says it is, anyway. (For the record, I was able to sneak that 7X in without the wife seeing it today!)

Brando11

A-List Customer

Picked up a beauty. Really nice black Barbisio from a fellow lounger- Steamed it, shaped it a bit and now I'm letting it dry while I wear it.

Thx, Scott-

-Brando

Two hats from June auctions that arrived while I was on vacation:

Borsalino Colombo - a thick velour, somewhat more rugged and less refined than the Marque Grand Luxe

colombo1.jpg

colombo2.jpg

colombo4.jpg

colombo3.jpg

Royal Stetson Whippet - trying to understand what the fuss is about. Maybe I needed to buy a RSD?!
The ribbon needs a blast from the de-wrinkler.

whippet1.jpg

whippet2.jpg

whippet3.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I own that Borsalino's slightly more refined and lighter cousin, a 4X (same style [XXXX] and liner) in a peach color a tad darker and less complex than Art's Sunset. The felt on mine is rather substantial, but very plush to the hand.

I have two Whippets, but I was drawn to them for reasons other than them being *Whippets* One is a minty, practically NOS 50's model, and the other is very nice earlier 40's Vita Felt. Yours has a wider brim than both of mine, and it's in great shape. Great finds as always!

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, that Whippet looks great to me (great Bors'o too!). But as for understanding the Whippet craze, in my mind, it's simply a situation where Stetson just sort of got all the style elements right. They work and while not flashy, are distinctive and recognizable.

Sort of like Chevy did with the Bell Air in the mid/late '50's. (While the '57 may be THE classic, others are right up there- and so it is with the various changes of the Whippet over the years). JMHO, but I do like them, and do understand the desirability. What I don't understand, is why I haven't snagged one yet! :D

Alan, could you tell us a bit about that stretcher contraption the Whippet is sitting on (maybe a "hatless" pic?).

Thanks Flute and T Rick, for those Whippet thoughts.

The stretcher is a Garvé... I posted some photos a while back but can't remember where so including another here. They are very nice to have if you come across one.

garve1.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Flute and T Rick, for those Whippet thoughts.

The stretcher is a Garvé... I posted some photos a while back but can't remember where so including another here. They are very nice to have if you come across one.

garve1.jpg
That is a nice looking stretcher. Looks like it sure beats having to use a hat jack in 4 different tiers up the crown of your hat!

Seems like it was a very productive weekend for everyone-- some great new acquisitions. Congrats, all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou