Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Here you go Ale. This one is almost as great as Horowitz---but not quite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMs7o19C-YM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

John, here's a pic of the lining with the logo---same as what's on the hat pin:

downsized_0307020959.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
JB-- I like that BB. Sorry you had so many problems with the stiffness. I've had some similar reactions, only I have shrunk mine during the "softening" process. Did you experience any of that?

I'm not familiar with these Schumann pieces-- I will have to check them out. It will bring me back to the real world after playing Villa Lobos and Julio Medaglia (great South American stuff!) all last week. Horowitz and Mozart is also a sublime combo, in my opinion.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Bowlerman, no shrinkage at all. The hatshaper may have helped to prevent that. It feels and fits great now.

Nothing wrong with Villa Lobos---I've played some of his pieces for guitar (Etudes, Preludes). I have not heard of Medaglia. Will check him out. I can't believe I've never heard Horowitz play Mozart. My absolute favorite composer is Mozart. Schumann is among my favorites as well.

Glad you were digging the Argerich Ale! :)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Some great new hats today.

Steve, love the velour... nice that Optimo was able to restore with the original sweatband left in place.

Mike, really nice 3X western! What is the brim width?... it doesn't look very wide from that camera angle.
It has a 3-inch brim. Just a tad over an OR.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Pino - nice to see spring is arriving. Signs of spring here in New Hampshire too, but still a ways to go.

Mike - cool S100. Is this one a good fit for you?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Excellent!
I like how you have the brim as well. I've been trying to snap mine down, but the hat is fighting me all the way.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
First of all, the Beaver Brand Heritage is about the stiffest hat I've ever owned---as stiff as the new Borsos are soft. It was my understanding that the hat was to be "made to order" and that I would hear from someone at the Village Hat Shop regarding head shape, etc. The turnaround time was to be no less than 8 weeks. Well, they must have had one in stock because I ordered it last week and received it last night.

When I took it out of the box I could already feel how stiff it was. It was not a long oval and the fit was terrible due to its cardboard-like stiffness. I snapped the above pic just minutes after receiving it. After that I proceeded to spray it with distilled water, remove the lining and put it on my straight sided dome hatshaper. The factory creases were so stubborn that it took several attempts with a steam iron to remove them. I finally managed to shape it into an open crown with no sign of the original crease. Then I spent about an hour beating the crap out of it to soften it up--- especially the brim and the reeded sweatband. I then creased it by hand and I'm quite happy with it.

That may be a much longer answer than what you wanted, so here's the verdict in a nutshell: the Beaver Brand Heritage compares quite well with the Modern Borsalinos, but only after reshaping and beating the crap out of it. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Wow, I wish I would have seen this when you'd posted it. If you'd been a little patient you would have noticed that a week of wearing it would have softened it up like crazy. You didn't need to do all of that.

I'm quite happy with mine, it's appropriately softer but not too much after some wearing.

For those thinking of ordering one... you do NOT need to do this.

Tom

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
guilty as charged, although my first few soakings/steamings were actually intended for crease-changing, not with the purpose of softening the felt. The softening and shrinkage was more a byproduct, I think.

I just posted this in the Ebay thread-- new to me Resistol with 1 7/8" Cav edged brim.

013copym.jpg

triple pleat on the bow--

011copyq.jpg

color comparison, with my other "dark brown" fedoras. flash on worked better here in the cellar.

018copy.jpg

Nog. (not the best shot, but it will do.)

007copye.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw