Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Trick-Color Canadian
Received my "new" Biltmore from a fellow-lounger today and was surprised when I opened the box. From the ePrey listing, I expected a "sandstone" or pinkish beige hat--of which I have only one. Instead, it was taupe with a touch of olive to my eye. Then, I took a snapshot of it, indoors, and presto, it's back on that putty side of the aisle again. Can't wait to get it outdoors and see what my Olympus does with it.

None of this is to say that I don't like it; it is just that I have about 6 taupe/tan hats, and probably wouldn't have rushed into another had my eyes not been playing a trick on me. My calibrated monitor is above this stuff! Anyway, here it is in its Canadian beaver splendor.

15328012-lg.jpg
I think this is an excellent lid!
What color is the ribbon? Looks almost like a brownish maroon....

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Too excited to take a pre-carved shot I’m afraid. As of now it’s the widest brim hat I have, so here we go with a poor photo, the new glen grey Camp Draft shaped but still wet. Trimmed ½” off all around. The brim on this one is wider than was originally on my silverbelly and the crown is taller. Comes out at a hair over 2 3/8” trimmed, which is wider than I prefer, but it’s OK. Was going to sew a 1 1/2” navy ribbon on this one, (and it looks great sitting on it) but I kind of like the one that’s on it now so I think it will stay a thin ribbon. I could use an informal hat so I gave it more of a rumbled bash. Now I’m thinking of what I could do with a Boss of the Plains. I’ve got two old ribbons to use up still.

FL2.jpg

Just for fun, here are the not-so-alike twins.

FL1.jpg

RBH

Bartender
I like it BJ, I had the Major trim my BG Camp Draft. I understand about how you feel about the brim width, I used to love the wider brim but now really prefer around 2 1\2 - 2 5/8s. My BG CD is now 2 5/8s. And the raw edge with the thin ribbon really looks good I think.
So from one of the original CD lovers here I think it looks great!

coble

A-List Customer
The doorbell just rang not too long ago:

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2840.jpg

I’m going to give the brim a trim, but I plan on leaving the ribbon for now.

oh man, giving the brim a trim its up to you man, but its a stunning lid with it like that. But just my opinion, since i like brims wider. Please post photos when your done, would like to see. Good luck with your endeavor.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Thanks gents. It sure looks nice with that edge coming out of the box though. I’ve been thinking about picking up one and sending it out for a trim and new edge binding and ribbon at 2 3/8 or 2 1/4 just for fun. So far I’m liking the thin ribbon, although it’s proven a bit fussy. Think I’ll work on it a bit more before turning in, and I’ll post some finished shots tomorrow in one of the other threads. When it comes to trimming brims, this one proved that third times the charm.

TipTop

Practically Family
Trick-Color Canadian
Received my "new" Biltmore from a fellow-lounger today and was surprised when I opened the box. From the ePrey listing, I expected a "sandstone" or pinkish beige hat--of which I have only one. Instead, it was taupe with a touch of olive to my eye. Then, I took a snapshot of it, indoors, and presto, it's back on that putty side of the aisle again. Can't wait to get it outdoors and see what my Olympus does with it.

None of this is to say that I don't like it; it is just that I have about 6 taupe/tan hats, and probably wouldn't have rushed into another had my eyes not been playing a trick on me. My calibrated monitor is above this stuff! Anyway, here it is in its Canadian beaver splendor.

15328012-lg.jpg

Truth in Lighting

With a little bright shade and a chocolate shearling jacket that absorbs every bit of light, I ventured out to seek the truth in lighting with my new Biltmore. It is good. I like the light tone of it, even though it is not sandstone. Here are a couple of shots for you to see the difference natural lighting can make. Also, I calibrated my Eizo this morning, so that's a sure-bet.

15333254-lg.jpg

15333236-md.jpg

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I love the hats guys. I have yet to figure out how to post a picture of my new Homburg, but I'll get it soon!! Everyone else's makes me want to get more, but I can only wear one at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn