Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TPD166

One Too Many
Homburg with a History

Actually it was "new" to me about 3 weeks ago, but it went straight to the hatter for cleaning/blocking. This is one of two homburgs that belonged to U.S. Senator Guy Gillette, who served in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. It is a late 1940s - early 1950s Adam DeLuxe homburg, and the sweatband is embossed "Made Especially for Hon. Guy M. Gillette." I picked the hat up today from Paris Hatters and below are "before" and "after" pictures - this is one of many hats that they have done amazing work bringing back to life for me!

Adam_Homburg.jpg

How it looked when I got it 3 weeks ago
Adam_before.jpg

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Borsalino Avorio . Mint condition. I added the wrap ribbon over the thin ribbon. My favorite vintage for these old borsos . Brim is also a smaller size of 2 1/2".
d8622167.jpg

f76898b1.jpg

7e7b6c3a.jpg

Last edited:

magruder

New in Town
Self Intro and New hats

Hello Folks,
Please pardon my ignorance of protocol, if this is not the way/place to do this.
I am new to the Fedora Lounge and I just wanted to intro myself: Steve Morrisette
I have long worn hats and have dozens of caps, drivers and a few straws and fedoras.
I've recently become very interested in really fine hats had a very lucky day today to kick off my foray into this world that, if I'm not careful, will break me, I'm sure!
So... in the mail today an Ebay find- a vintage Knox Milan (?) in apparently unworn condition, with a beautiful multi striped band. The hat seems perfect and from the $9.00
price tag, I judge it to be fairly elderly, ah, vintage.
Then, I notice on the local Craig's list an ad for an "unworn, 1950's Stetson Open Road" ............. for FIFTY DOLLARS!
I immediately made arrangements to purchase it and it was in the original box with a $16.95 price tag. The lady that owned it said it was purchased in Alaska in the 50's.
Like an idiot, I didn't pursue more info about it, I just forked over the cash and stunned, sat in my car admiring it for twenty minutes.

I have included a couple of quick and dirty photos, that you might judge for yourself what I think was astonishingly lucky beginning. ( Btw - they both fit well)

If anyone can offer info on these two guys, I'd be most grateful indeed. Also, is it possible to have the Open Road re-blocked to a pinch front w/teardrop crown,
or is that asking too much of it and perhaps tainting a classic hat?

I am sure I will want to obtain a custom hat soon, but I shall hang around here a bit a soak up some knowledge before that project.
I make high grade artisan tobacco pipes for the collectors market, so I know it will take time and money to get a great custom hat.
Cheers to all and thank you for enduring such a long first post.
Steve Morrisette
http://www.smpipes.com

Well, it seems I cannot post images. Am I missing something, or is there a prohibition/required number of post for new people?

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for comments guys.
Magruder welcome to the lounge,Those are some nice hats you have there.
Well done !

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Love the colours and the wide binding on the Dobbs 15, Hatto!

A new arrival for me today, many thanks to TonyB here at the Lounge. Another fast doggie for the pack!

smugshot8128391-L.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, OG - yes, slightly more cheerful than my usual "miserable old git" look.

It is nice to get a cool hat for a very good price - I've seen people pay more for one Whippet than I have for my 3 combined. Of course, they are in a smallish size which helps.

Even more exciting, a flatish package from Mr Fawcett also arrived today...

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Good Morning, Folks,

On Sunday, I found a black fedora at a San Diego swap meet, and scored it for a good price. I mentioned that find in the "ask a question, get an answer" area, and was asked about photos, which I actually took in the back seat of my Mother-in-law's van after the swap meet. Sorry for the poor quality of these photos, but, here's what I found:

DSCN2865.jpg

DSCN2866-1.jpg

DSCN2860-1.jpg

DSCN2861.jpg

DSCN2863-1.jpg

DSCN2862.jpg

This hat is a 7 1/4 size, and I wear, mostly, size 7 3/8, but the hat "almost" fits me, and I'm thinking that, once it is steamed and stretched a bit, it should fit like just as it should. A few questions, please?

The hat band, whilst in very good condition, overall, is detached from the hat itself, and I would like that repaired. Also, even though there are absolutely no moth holes, or other such damage, the hat is dirty and in need of a good cleaning. Can you suggest a good Hatter in Southern California that can do that job for me in a truly professional and competent manner? We live up in the mountains, between LA and Palm Springs, and so a place in that area would be most convenient for my wife and I visit. Last, I would like to know what a hat like this would have cost me, has a I bought it new, if possible? I am thinking that this hat is from the 1930-1960 era, but could be way off track. Any ideas? The transparent protection cover over the logo inside the hat is made of some sort of woven fabric, it seems, if that helps denote it's age.

Thank you, very much, for any information, or help you can send my way. I look forward to getting this old hat back up and being worn as it was originally attended. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Hanging out here may well be dangerous to my wallet! Since I stumbled upon this site, I've already purchased my first Stetson western hat, and am looking at another, plus this old fedora came to hand, and now I'm looking at a nice Resistol straw western hat to add to my chapeau stable!! It's fun, for sure, and my wife loves the look of the hats I've acquired so far!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart