Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Gannon:

Edit: I posted in the wrong thread. This is not a new hat.
4C209E99-CD88-4925-BD70-0B30E51916F5.jpeg
1B291CE0-9C3C-4D92-9272-8B09EEB21649.jpeg

Last edited:

Pellie

One Too Many
Great colour and a nice looking felt. A popular style in France it seems, because I find hats like this regularly. I am surprised about the late date for this one; Mossant moved away from hats fairly early to focus more on clothing.
Yes you told me on whatsapp. Very funny to find this 1979 then :)
Do you know why Lacoste is printed on the sweatband @steur ?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
4X Miller, of Denver, Colorado. 3 1/4 inch brim, 6 1/4 inch open crown. Don't know the date of this hat. Opinions, anyone? 40's? Could it be from the 30's? The style looks like a San Fran to me, except for the shape of the crown.
Great hat!
I like this crease. Kinda like a reverse Gus.
Should shed rain better. I’m gonna try this on my fishing hat.
Thanks.
B

kenbid

New in Town
I recently got a 1980’s resistol 5x cowboy hat, rancher I think, cattleman crease. hat was worn maybe once or twice only so like new, I carefully compared this to several other cowboy hats I have, carefully. I would say the 80’s resistol 5x is equal to stetson el patron 30x current version. Softness and density comparable , build may be little better on resistol but nothing major. You can get these resistol 5x vintage from 1980’s for say $125 as a low up to about $200 for mint, like new or never worn. Now the Stetson el patron 30x is going to run $600 new. Hard to find A el patron 30x in your size, in decent condition for less than $400 often $450 or more. I have never handled the Stetson 50x. The el presidente 100x is 100% beaver and is a significantly better class of hat running about $900 new. Finding one on eBay is very tough.

The Stetson 200x is about same as a 100x, Stetsons. I would think it is a waste of money, the 100x is really an event or formal dress hat. I have never handled a 500x or 1000x Stetson beaver so I have no insight.

Now if you can get a 5x 1970’s resistol will be little better, a 1960’s 5x resistol I expect would be substantially better if they made 5x beaver in the 60’s. Then the older back you go the better but best may stop at 3x. That being said go find one on eBay, not easy. You need your size, the condition has to be good, you have to like the style and the price needs to be affordable. Many who sell such a hat will try to hit a hone run when it comes to price and can easily be $1000 or more plus these sellers know it can take weeks, months to sell it for big money. A lot of these antique hats will have loose linings, cracked headbands,moth holes,odors etc.you might go a year and never find a pre-70’s in nice condition for under $450. The 1980’s 5x resistol might take no time or maybe 2 weeks to get a good one reasonably, should make a great everyday hat or even an event hat. ‘The 4x are more abundant. 5x has a better headband and slightly better hat so heck go for the best. Now you can get into a tough choice. A new 1980’s 4x versus a minty 5x from 1980’s, tough call. Lot more 4x’s out there. Good hunting.

kenbid

New in Town
Just got a 1980’s 3x resistol cowboy hat beaver in brown. Hat was new or worn a handful of times at most so like new.

Built of hat was solid. Hat was not very flexible. Beaver felt was soft but not very soft, yet was not scratchy like wool either. Hat looks GREAT.

These are easily found on eBay in new or like new condition. Then can be had for $100 to $150. They make great everyday hats they are tough and will hold up under adverse conditions. A new Stetson 6x will be softer but is nowhere near as good a hat. I would think this is better than a modern Stetson 10x but not as soft. Hey they are cheap.

kenbid

New in Town
Tried Seratelli 100x. Great value for money. New on eBay about $600. For the money a great value. Serratelli used to make Resistol in their earlier days. The hat beaver felt is not as soft as Stetson el presidente 100x but is nice and dense. This hat should take the weather just fine. They look rich. It’s a great hat. The Stetson 100x is a $900 hat. Is Stetson a better hat? I think they are about same but Stetson is softer felt which I am not so concerned with. So for price of a Stetson 30x el patron get a Serratelli all beaver 100x. Makes sense. Stetson spends a lot on marketing and keep their prices high. I find the high end Stetsons are very good hats, their lower priced hats are not good value for the mobey at all. I also think Stetson cowboy straws are overpriced by a lot. My opinions only.

Welcome to the Lounge @kenbid

I'm not sure why, but Seratelli hats don't have much exposure on the Lounge. My wife's late cousin -- a former fashion buyer out of New York and New Jersey -- asked me why I didn't have any Seratelli hats? I had no real answer. I may have to remedy that someday if I find the right hat.

Here is an older article with some history on the company.

https://www.nj.com/business/2012/03/newark_company_established_187.html

I recently got a 1980’s resistol 5x cowboy hat, rancher I think, cattleman crease. hat was worn maybe once or twice only so like new, I carefully compared this to several other cowboy hats I have, carefully. I would say the 80’s resistol 5x is equal to stetson el patron 30x current version. Softness and density comparable , build may be little better on resistol but nothing major. You can get these resistol 5x vintage from 1980’s for say $125 as a low up to about $200 for mint, like new or never worn. Now the Stetson el patron 30x is going to run $600 new. Hard to find A el patron 30x in your size, in decent condition for less than $400 often $450 or more. I have never handled the Stetson 50x. The el presidente 100x is 100% beaver and is a significantly better class of hat running about $900 new. Finding one on eBay is very tough.

The Stetson 200x is about same as a 100x, Stetsons. I would think it is a waste of money, the 100x is really an event or formal dress hat. I have never handled a 500x or 1000x Stetson beaver so I have no insight.

Now if you can get a 5x 1970’s resistol will be little better, a 1960’s 5x resistol I expect would be substantially better if they made 5x beaver in the 60’s. Then the older back you go the better but best may stop at 3x. That being said go find one on eBay, not easy. You need your size, the condition has to be good, you have to like the style and the price needs to be affordable. Many who sell such a hat will try to hit a hone run when it comes to price and can easily be $1000 or more plus these sellers know it can take weeks, months to sell it for big money. A lot of these antique hats will have loose linings, cracked headbands,moth holes,odors etc.you might go a year and never find a pre-70’s in nice condition for under $450. The 1980’s 5x resistol might take no time or maybe 2 weeks to get a good one reasonably, should make a great everyday hat or even an event hat. ‘The 4x are more abundant. 5x has a better headband and slightly better hat so heck go for the best. Now you can get into a tough choice. A new 1980’s 4x versus a minty 5x from 1980’s, tough call. Lot more 4x’s out there. Good hunting.

I don’t have anything against Stetson and Resistol hats from the 1960s to the 1980s, but the 3X, 4X, and 5X hats of that era don’t impress me as great hats. They are serviceable and can be bargains, but the felt and the sweatbands have never impressed me. I recently had my first encounter with a modern Stetson 20X and the felt and sweatband were both substantially better than the 5X hats from the earlier era in discussion. A lot of this is of course subjective.

I do agree that if I was looking for a solid hat for a good price I’d look at the same hats you are recommending. I’d place a 1950s 3X as 500% better than a 5X from the 1960s or earlier, and I’d place a 3X from the 1940s or earlier as 200% better than the 1950s 3X. The problem is that once you experience some great hats it’s hard to be satisfied with lesser hats even though they are completely functional and look decent.

Just got a 1980’s 3x resistol cowboy hat beaver in brown. Hat was new or worn a handful of times at most so like new.

Built of hat was solid. Hat was not very flexible. Beaver felt was soft but not very soft, yet was not scratchy like wool either. Hat looks GREAT.

These are easily found on eBay in new or like new condition. Then can be had for $100 to $150. They make great everyday hats they are tough and will hold up under adverse conditions. A new Stetson 6x will be softer but is nowhere near as good a hat. I would think this is better than a modern Stetson 10x but not as soft. Hey they are cheap.

A 1980s Resistol 3X Beaver hat is almost all rabbit and/or hare with very little beaver in the blend.

Yamahana

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97