Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1st Whippet

Just arrived. It's a 7 5/8 long oval and it sits on my head just fine, with just one little piece of felt in the front. Original $10 May's tag inside.

Question - how do I remove that $25 antique store tag without removing leather surface?

I love this hat :)

WhippetMe.jpg

WhippetLiner.jpg

WhippetSweat.jpg

WhippetSide.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Scott. :eusa_clap Looks to be in great condition, as well. Congrats!

As far as the sticker goes, you should be able to peel it right off -- it shouldn't hurt the leather sweat. If it doesn't come off easily, you might try dampening the sticker a bit to see if that doesn't help.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Very nice, Scott. :eusa_clap Looks to be in great condition, as well. Congrats!

As far as the sticker goes, you should be able to peel it right off -- it shouldn't hurt the leather sweat. If it doesn't come off easily, you might try dampening the sticker a bit to see if that doesn't help.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks JtL - I tried to peel one off a Mint Stratoliner once, and it ripped the entire surface off the leather. Working this one gently, the leather surface is also coming off. I'll try dampening it.

Yes, it's in great condition. And my girlfriend actually likes it on me! It fits sort of Johnny Depp-like.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
It was the cool accordian-like inside brim where it meets the crown that hooked me. Its a Dunlap Superior straw, size 7 1/2.

That's quite a nice one.

1924 - Comfit isn't mentioned, but it has the same feature.
straw_hat_1924.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic find on the Dunlap, buler! We don't see enough Dunlaps around here.

Because of the looped tassel, that dates it to after the merger into Hat Corporation of America. Probably around 1935 or 1936. Interesting that it has the taped sweat.

Brad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks JtL - I tried to peel one off a Mint Stratoliner once, and it ripped the entire surface off the leather. Working this one gently, the leather surface is also coming off. I'll try dampening it.

Well -- I've learned something, Scott. I had no idea that taking a sticker off would have that particular effect. Good luck with the process, whatever you decide!

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That's quite a nice one.

1924 - Comfit isn't mentioned, but it has the same feature.

Thanks Lefty! Great ad. What are the prices listed? I can't quite make them out.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
Nice colour in that No.1 Dman
JPMcA - Great VS, the colour really works for you.

I have two today.

First a Bluegrass Green Camp Draft - this really is a deep dark green - really hard to shoot.

Second is another Adam - This one has Sundial under the sweat - model name? It's a really nice light green (colour's most like the 4th picture), and has a very interesting brim treatment with a very thin binding and an extra row of stitching. Thanks alot Razzman.

TTFN,

Bill

Both very nice, but I really like the brim stitching on the new addition to the Adam's Family.

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Well -- I've learned something, Scott. I had no idea that taking a sticker off would have that particular effect. Good luck with the process, whatever you decide!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks for suggesting dampening the tag. I did this, rubbing it off in pieces, and only lost a very small touch of the leather surface around the edges where I had started pulling it off originally.

Yep, warning - do NOT try to just pull sticky tags off of leather sweatbands - do it very, very slowly.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks for suggesting dampening the tag. I did this, rubbing it off in pieces, and only lost a very small touch of the leather surface around the edges where I had started pulling it off originally.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This one arrived today. The first two photos are from the Ebay listing. It was presented as Montecristi because it does have that stamped on the box, but I wasn't expecting that to be true. Sure enough, it's a very coarse weave Cuenca. A sort of souvenir hat they could weave in a day.

It was one wonky, wavy, lampshade of a thing when I first tried to put it on, but some water and the hairdryer shaped it into something wearable. It still rolls up easily enough and retains the memory of the crease I gave it.

Overall I'm happy to have one I can pack and not worry about.

BS5zm2kKGrHgoH-DoEjlLluCsSBKFjEshe4.jpg

BS5zziQBWkKGrHgoH-C8EjlLlykEBKFjFC1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Black FED IV

FFF,

What a super look! That black fedora with the black leather jacket and dress shirt is a nice combination! I'm envious of your Fed IV collection! Thanks for sharing all of them. One is better than the next. :eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Porkpie

Here is a Mallory Porkpie I picked up. Really like the ribbon on this one. From Jac Donges in Milwaukee. Is this 50's or even 60's? Was there a range of years when the porkpie was popular?

B

mallory_pork_1.jpg

mallory_pork_2.jpg

mallory_pork_3.jpg

mallory_pork_4.jpg

mallory_pork_5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo