Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
redhawks2, excellent hat! Almost identical to the first vintage hat I bought. Love the ribbon treatment on yours.

B

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
bbshriver said:
Got this Royal Stetson from RoninJedi in the classifieds...

I'm thrilled to death that this hat found a good home. I guess I was merely the conduit for getting it to it's rightful owner. lol

I agree that you should take your time figuring out the crease and notice where the hat likes to settle. I'm using a cheap spray bottle with distilled water as often as steam, these days. Works wonders.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Cue Raiders March

Looklook!!! [jumps up and down like a little schoolgirl] I've wanted a decent Indy fedora for years and now, thanks to Neil and the Classifieds, I finally have one! It's a Federation IV Deluxe, no less! Mmmmm. Buttery felt!

4017215335_75638b6cdf.jpg

I found it on my doorstep as I was rushing out to work. The postman must've left it without knocking or while I was in the shower. At any rate, I paused, looked at the box trying to decide whether to open it right there or toss it inside on the couch for after work. Instead, I snatched the box and continued hurrying out to my car.

The size on this is 61cm. My head measures 61.5 and it's a long oval which means I really should be wearing a 62. The price was right, though, and I couldn't let it slip away. As I suspected the hat was tight when I put it on in the car. I drove to work with it, wore it in between incoming calls at work, and thought I noticed it loosening slightly during my shift. When I got home I folded up some cloth and put it on my head as a do-rag, steamed the outside of the hat to pop out the C-crease and soften the sides, and jammed it as far down on my head as I could. After a half-hour or so, I took off the rag and the hat fit almost as well as my size 62. It's on my head right now, a bit more snug than last night but still pretty good. I suspect I'm going to have to do a few more of these "training" sessions in order to convince the felt to permanently accept it's new size.

While I'm not overly concerned with Raiders screen accuracy, I tightened the front pinch and put in a center dent, for a more Indiana Jones look, like so...
4017977718_da2c26ea99.jpg

Maybe I'll change it back to a "C" since that center dent is touching the top of my head right now. Perhaps I can join Admiral Goose's fleet?

Mediocre picture but it shows the top view of the center dent.
4017977780_c3c5225354.jpg

Here's that awesome mid-brown in the late afternoon sunlight.
4017215471_e1544b6f97.jpg

I'm like a kid with a new toy. I'll probably be wearing this hat constantly for the next week or so. It's going to get sweated up and dusty over time, which should be just right for both an Indy hat and an Akubra. :)

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Roninjedi said:

I'm like a kid with a new toy. I'll probably be wearing this hat constantly for the next week or so. It's going to get sweated up and dusty over time, which should be just right for both an Indy hat and an Akubra. :)

:eusa_clap Congratulations Ronin, that's a sharp looking Fed on yur head! Now, for the whip... :D

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
djgo-cat-go said:
:eusa_clap Congratulations Ronin, that's a sharp looking Fed on yur head! Now, for the whip... :D

Thanks, Cat. Since I do some leatherwork, I've been thinking about making one. That's a big project, though.

And Redhawks2, I'm loving that Marathon. Bee-yootiful! :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
Roninjedi said:
Looklook!!! [jumps up and down like a little schoolgirl] I've wanted a decent Indy fedora for years and now, thanks to Neil and the Classifieds, I finally have one! It's a Federation IV Deluxe, no less! Mmmmm. Buttery felt!

4017215335_75638b6cdf.jpg

I found it on my doorstep as I was rushing out to work. The postman must've left it without knocking or while I was in the shower. At any rate, I paused, looked at the box trying to decide whether to open it right there or toss it inside on the couch for after work. Instead, I snatched the box and continued hurrying out to my car.

The size on this is 61cm. My head measures 61.5 and it's a long oval which means I really should be wearing a 62. The price was right, though, and I couldn't let it slip away. As I suspected the hat was tight when I put it on in the car. I drove to work with it, wore it in between incoming calls at work, and thought I noticed it loosening slightly during my shift. When I got home I folded up some cloth and put it on my head as a do-rag, steamed the outside of the hat to pop out the C-crease and soften the sides, and jammed it as far down on my head as I could. After a half-hour or so, I took off the rag and the hat fit almost as well as my size 62. It's on my head right now, a bit more snug than last night but still pretty good. I suspect I'm going to have to do a few more of these "training" sessions in order to convince the felt to permanently accept it's new size.

While I'm not overly concerned with Raiders screen accuracy, I tightened the front pinch and put in a center dent, for a more Indiana Jones look, like so...
4017977718_da2c26ea99.jpg

Maybe I'll change it back to a "C" since that center dent is touching the top of my head right now. Perhaps I can join Admiral Goose's fleet?

Mediocre picture but it shows the top view of the center dent.
4017977780_c3c5225354.jpg

Looks great!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roninjedi said:

Well done, RJ. I like the new crease you put in. Looks sharp, but then, I am fond of the center dent.

billysmom

One Too Many
2 more from the 'Bay

These arrived today:

Lembert-left-side.jpg

This Lembert I bought as a costume piece for a corporate Leadership get-together with an Oktoberfest theme. Turns out to be a pretty nice lid! I'll post details on the German/Austrian thread.

Whippet-hat.jpg

This one's a Stetson Whippet that's got a trashed sweat but great felt. I'll find somewhere else to post details. The thing that's annoying is that the crown has been stiffened beyond belief! The brim's nice and malleable, but the crown's worse than my cowboy starched Wrangers!:(

Oh, well. It looks super on my noggin! :D

Sue

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Roninjedi said:

That's fantastic, Roninjedi! I get a kick out of someone being so happy about a dream fedora becoming their own. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hint: Often times the ribbon is what fights the hat back down in size when it's off of your head. Wet grosgrain relaxes and dries in its new position if you let the stretcher stay in while the ribbon dries.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:

You just have to pause when you see someone with the perfect hat for them as you scroll down through these threads. This is a prime example. Perfection:eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom-n-Perris said:
I know it has been awhile since I last posted but I thought I would start back up with my latest find. A wonderful green Mayser from Germany note the leather sweat band reads Made in West Germany
DSCF4077.jpg

Thats a nice one Tom. I like the green color.

Tom-n-Perris said:
I know it has been awhile since I last posted but I thought I would start back up with my latest find. A wonderful green Mayser from Germany note the leather sweat band reads Made in West Germany

Very nice find. Is the rope loop at the back retractable? I am thinking very early sixties. If you get a chance please post the pics in the German and Austrian thread.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
You just have to pause when you see someone with the perfect hat for them as you scroll down through these threads. This is a prime example. Perfection:eusa_clap
:arated: Really looks outstanding on you.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy