Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Menswear Fall 2012

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
10.jpg

Prada-menswear-fall-2012-ad-campaign

[video=youtube_share;1YpD0tnGotE]http://youtu.be/1YpD0tnGotE[/video]

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I like that suit that Gary Oldman is sporting. Nice bold pinstripe in a rich blue.

Aaaaaand the frock coat is back! Told you guys the Victorians were the Lords of Style ;)

I can't say I like everything about these offerings; the excessive bits of metal are a bit odd, the lack of ties is a bit hurting, and modern fashion still doesn't know how to fit a suit coat (too tight still, but actually not terrible in this line) but I have to say I love the classic feel here.

Some of this stuff is downright hilarious, like the guys with shorts and knee high socks, but one or two of these I think are actually very successful derivations from Victorian sources while doing something new and interesting. I particularly liked the gent in the white frock coat at 7:20. His outfit was smart looking, well-coordinated, Victorian in its inspiration and yet distinctly different and new. I liked that one a lot.

Last edited:

crazydaisy

Practically Family
OMG was that Adrian Brody among the last few in a red overcoat?!!! :shocked: I was going to tell you how I felt about the collection,but it doesn't matter anymore :)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
OMG was that Adrian Brody among the last few in a red overcoat?!!! :shocked: I was going to tell you how I felt about the collection,but it doesn't matter anymore :)

Several famous names in there actually; Gary Oldman, Willem Dafoe, and a couple others I think. There was a thread on the FL some time ago about Gary Oldman and his love of vintage style. I bet he was tickled pink to be a part of the unveiling of a collection with such a distinctly vintage Victorian inspiration.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Prada Menswear Goes Steampunk This Fall
Prada has recently launched its Fall/Winter 2012 ad campaign for their menswear—which features a stunning collection of steampunk inspired clothing—modeled by Gary Oldman, Garrett Hedlund, Jamie Bell and Willem Dafoe.

According to Prada’s website, “The campaign—shot by David Sims—layers different codes of dress in a subtle parody of power and role-play.”

“Exaggerated poses and conspiratorial glances hint at the game, a palm solemnly placed on the heart or into a pocket with precise formality.”

Modeled by four of Hollywood’s leading men, one can imagine them smoking cigars, drinking brandy and playing a game of cards while discussing gentlemanly affairs...
http://designtaxi.com/news/352865/Prada-Menswear-Goes-Steampunk-This-Fall/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+designtaxi_news+%28TAXI+Daily+News%29

2.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

There are some really great images in this article. Oddly enough I liked much of the clothing I saw. I know it'll be way beyond my pocket book but I can at least window shop. Maybe a main stream shop like Banana Republic will take a page from their notes and offer something up in the near future. I would love to see what kind of hats that Prada could come up with in the Victorian/Steampunk flair to go with many of these outfits. They could take a page from the costume designer for Moulin Rouge.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Ha. I love misreading things. I thought it said PRAVDA Menswear Collection. :eusa_doh:

Now that would have been great to see, say, back around 1955. (And some of the models in the clip look pure Cold War...)

Yes, sad to see a lack of ties, but much of the clothing presented is an interesting mix of Victorian/Regency/Soviet/ Steampunk/1984 (the latter reference coming from John in C.). I, too, like the "return" of the frock coat, and it is good to see a couple of "older" models, Mr. Oldman included (and some facial hair for once). Most of the trousers were too long, though...

If you want to see the 2013 Spring/Summer lines from Prada, here they are:

http://www.prada.com/en/live-parade/post?cc=US

If I were making an updated version of the The Prisoner, I think I'd go along those lines.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
After watching the video I would admit that certain elements, the shoes especially, don't seem to go with the overall look and feel, and the addition of the actors like Adrian Brody, Willem DeFoe and Gary Oldman were a great touch as they are good point men for style. Especially Gary Oldman who is into vintage fashion. But other elements and outfits I'd say they were inspired by the latest Sherlock Holmes Adventures. I see a little Lord Blackwell & Dr. Watson for sure in some of these outfits. The music in the video was a nice touch as well. Had the feel of an old silent film.
I hope this look takes off as it is a far better option than most of the spoon fed unimaginative trash that is out there now. If I could afford it I would purchase it for sure.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I may have to take that back about the shoes. What I thought was some hideous red & black number I think was a rubber rain protector (the red part) over the shoe. It shows up about half way in the video. It looked bad at first, but it is a good practical element that would help protect some really expensive shoes. I suppose if one chose a color that would harmonize with the overall outfit it wouldn't stand out as much and draw the eye down to the feet. After all the idea is to draw the eyes up to the face.

Cheers!

Dan

William Stratford

A-List Customer
It is quite refreshing to see the frock coat make a return :D but oh dear god that music is maddening, the models all walk as if they have the coat hangers still in and why please someone explain do they STILL insist on sports coats that do not cover your bum (as if you got it when you were 12 and wont let nanny throw it out :( )?!

One or two really pulled off the "Von Richthofen" look well though :D

MB5

One of the Regulars
DanielJones, they seem to be wearing Swims (or some other brand of rubber shoe protector) throughout the show. Likely they were using them as a more modern substitute for spats.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones, they seem to be wearing Swims (or some other brand of rubber shoe protector) throughout the show. Likely they were using them as a more modern substitute for spats.

I'll agree with you on that. At first it looked like some hideous strawberry chewing gum colored leather but on closer examination I noticed that the soles were the same color and concluded what you did that it was a rubber rain over protector. They kind of went with what was passing for a rain coat in that section of the show.

Thought Adrian Brody looked well in this outfit, but I think that he could have kept his signature facial hair and still pulled off the look better.
0117-adrien-brody-prada-fall-2012-menswear_fa.jpg

I take it this is the "Von Richthofen" look spoken of?
prada-menswear-fall-12-13-2.jpg

And of course Gary Oldman
Prada-Fall-Winter-2012-Menswear-Show.jpg

And I think that Tim Roth was in that line up as well.
Header_prada_2012.jpg

003-prada-autumn-winter-2012-13-hollywood-actors.jpg

It just goes to show that you are never to old to have fun with your clothing and look darn sharp doing it. I think that this is something right up Vampyre Master's alley. Would love to know what he thinks of this collection.

11.jpg

I think what I enjoy about this collection is the high collars. I'm one of those odd ducks that doesn't mind having a tall collar, from a turtleneck to a zip up workout shirt around his neck. I find it rather comfortable. Probably why I like wearing scarves a lot too.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Of course some of the items like the Shorts outfit looked more like one was walking around in their boxers around the house and needed that smoking robe, and the Little Lord Fauntleroy look was right out. But, the majority of what was worn wasn't half bad. Yes many of the coats under the frock coat were a shade on the short side, but sack coats from the era they are trying to emulate were rather short too, typically ending at the hip joint or just slightly above so as not to sit on the coat while either on horseback or in a carriage.

Cheers!

Dan

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Interesting idea. I think that a lower button stance tends to be more flattering/masculine, in that it emphasizes or creates the illusion of a strong v-taper from the chest and shoulders to narrow hips and waist. However, this does look pretty good.

My one complaint is the shoes, and it took me a little bit to figure out why. They are all far to large. The toes of the shoes clearly extend a good two or three inches beyond the toes of the wearers. They are wearing clown shoes on the runway.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm noticing a significant Regency and Victorian influence here. The long coats, dark colours, three piece suits, vests...Not something you would see much of today, so it's rather refreshing to see them come back.

I was also surprised to see the Frock Coat! I don't think people have been wearing that regularly in at least a hundred years. It pretty much died out with the Edwardians...

MB5

One of the Regulars
I was disappointed with the high collars because they looked like cheater collars. They looked to be turtlenecks under a regular collar rather than a high collar on the shirt. I couldn't help but think of cousin Eddie's turtleneck dickie from Christmas Vacation. Maybe they were trying to avoid looking like they were imitating Karl Lagerfeld.

I agree that the shorts looked like some of the models forgot their trousers.

I wonder if the King of Tonga's frock coat at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding had any influence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy