Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Presidents' Hats: Good Days, Bad Days

WEEGEE

Practically Family
!!!

ReaganHat.jpg

Fedorista

Familiar Face
Good hat day...

bush.hat_200.jpg

"President Bush is getting a brand new cowboy hat, just in time for his second inauguration. The hat, the second to be made for Bush by Trent Johnson, is a gift from the National Cattleman's Beef Association."

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
He has a face you can trust, doesn't he?

Yeah, Curtin had a real mild, fatherly look about him. He was, by all accounts, a gentle fellow with a genuine conscience. He battled with the idea of conscription, which he opposed in WWI, but eventually gave in to pressure and supported the idea.

He would not give in to Churchill, however, who demanded that, while the Imperial Japanese forces made straight for Australia via the Phillipines and Timor, our best fighting divisions return from North Africa to Burma. Churchill was concerned about British forces in Burma, and insisted that Australia must come to aid of the 'Mother Country's" troops.

The Japanese were at our doorstep, however, and Curtin did not budge. He sent the troops back to Australia and north to New Guinea, to fight the famous battles at Milne Bay, Sanananda, and the Kokoda Trail.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Nixon looked pretty awful in hats. So bad, in fact, that I didn't post the photos here: I felt sorry for him.

Goodness, man, how could you have forgotten Reagan in his COWBOY hats? At the ranch, remember?

C'mon Marc; post some pictures of Richard Milhous. He looked good in the panama hat that G.W.'s grandpa gave him.

Yeah, I remember the cowboy hats R.R. wore, but is there any pictures of him in a fedora?[huh]

J.B.

Practically Family
Nice topic!

I worked for this man in Westpac...

One of my favorite presidential pics! (Sans the O.R.) Lady Bird Johnson, President Lyndon B. Johnson, and Yuki sitting near the Pedernales River...

lbj36fy.jpg

It's almost a Tejas ritual to have family pictures taken in a field of wildflowers or (more commonly) bluebonnets...

lbj43rw.jpg

Through the mirror of my mind
Time after time
I see reflections of you and me
Reflections of
The way life used to be
Oh, I'm all alone now
No love to shield me
Trapped in a world
That's a distorted reality ~ The Supremes

lbj58bw.jpg

Thanks for letting me post these... :)
(I still "reflect" a lot about this time in my journey, too...)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The two U.S. Presidents I most associate with the Open Road are LBJ and Truman, and LBJ is closely assocciated with that hat. Also, having worked at (and visited) a number of universities, it's interesting to view old pictures of university presidents and their guests t outdoor events. At least at land-grant universities, it's very common to see a number of Open Road hats in the pictures.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
It was Jacks fault !!

"Boaters, derbies, fedoras—until just a generation or two ago, a man’s social status, if not his very masculinity, was defined by his hat. For centuries, men owned hats for all seasons and occasions. But in the 1960s, the male hat became obsolete. Just as women shed their white gloves for the sexual revolution, men cast aside centuries of tradition and stopped wearing hats. The hat’s demise has over time been credited to President Kennedy, or "Hatless Jack," due to his reluctance to be photographed wearing a hat for fear it made him look old."

I must read this book - looks interesting

jackhat.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Marc

Marc Chevalier said:

Okay, okay – here’s Richard M. Nixon in a fedora. Yeech!! Don’t say I didn’t warn you, Lincsong. ;)

Presidents3.jpg

I've always said you were a scholar and a gentleman.:eusa_clap

Nixon said in the 1952 race that his father used to tell him and his brothers; "you boys are going to have to go out and scratch on your own, because you're not going to go anywhere only on your looks":eek: Wise advice from a Father.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
silhouette53 said:
"The hat’s demise has over time been credited to President Kennedy, or "Hatless Jack," due to his reluctance to be photographed wearing a hat for fear it made him look old."

Aha! There was a time when younger men wanted to look more mature, in order to be taken seriously. That changed in the 1960s.

Personally, I do feel as if people take me more seriously since I passed age 40, and I don't mind it at all.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
Aha! There was a time when younger men wanted to look more mature, in order to be taken seriously. That changed in the 1960s.

Personally, I do feel as if people take me more seriously since I passed age 40, and I don't mind it at all.

Yes, I found that happened with me too in general - now if I could just get my wife to take me seriously ............................lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner