Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prohibition

ET

One of the Regulars
If you are an historian- you would see parallels of the temperance movement of the late 19th-early 20th in the anti-tobacco movement of the late 20th-early 21st centuries and realize that we are going down that same slippery slope...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
...more gems of wisdom from W Rogers...

"Why don't they pass a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? And if it works as good as the Prohibition one did, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth."

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I do believe that today is the anniversary of prohibition 1919.

how does the story go about natural selection?

you know the slower weaker animals are killed by the predators and it makes for a stronger more vital species.

Its the same with drinking.
Alchohal kills brain cells right?
it gets the slower weaker cells first so moderate drinking will make you smarter.;)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
A couple of excellent books on the Prohibition Era are "Bloody Williamson" by Paul Angle and "A Knight of Another Sort" by Gary DeNeal. Both are about the bootlegger wars fought in southern Illinois, where the rival gangs shot up hospitals. used amored cars and even threw bombs from aircraft!

Frykitty

Familiar Face
Communion wine

I know that the sale of wine for religious ceremonies was considered acceptable.
According to a article I've read (I forget where and therefore take this info with a grain of salt)
" During the heart of Prohibition, a study found that demand for sacramental wine increased by 800,000 gallons in a two year period."

So I guess people turned to god during their time in need.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prohibition in the US began on January 16, 1920 when the 18th Amendment took effect and ended December 5, 1933 with Utah being the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment. Although Ohio & Pennsylvania ratified the amendment later the same day, it was Utah as the 36th state to ratify and give the victory to the repeal of prohibition. And as soon as the news hit the telegraphs and radio, Seattle retailers were ready with ships from Canada waiting at the docks to unload and hometown breweries ready to send out the trucks to deliver the formerlly illicit potables.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Some distillers were quietly working while the states were still ratifiying the 21st amendment, so that when repeal took place they could hit the ground running.

A newspaper ad from December 1933:

12311933Legendreadvert.jpg

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Nash Buckingham said:
I remember Sinatra saying "I feel sorry for people that don't drink because when you get up in the morning that's as good as you're going to feel all day"

I'll drink to that! :cheers1:

I believe it was actually W. C. Fields that said that. Maybe Sinatra was quoting him.

Doug

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Lots of good knowledge here. I love the two quotes from Will Rogers.

Here are a few from some other notables of the era & beyond.

WC Fields: "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

Al Capone: "Prohibition has made nothing but trouble."

Don Marquis: "Prohibition makes you want to cry into your beer and denies you the beer to cry into."

Last but not least...

Drew Carey: "Liquor prohibition led to the rise of organized crime in America, and drug prohibition has led to the rise of the gang problems we have now."

I've really enjoyed reading this thread, learned some little nuances of The Noble Experiment that I never knew before. Thanks all for sharing the info!

Cheers!

Dan

Atomic Age

Practically Family
During prohibition W. C. Fields was asked, why if he didn't have a drinking problem, did he buy 300 cases of gin before it started, he replied "I didn't think prohibition would last that long."

Doug

Story

I'll Lock Up
Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition
Daniel Okrent writes the history of American Prohibition from the beginning of the movement in 1873 in small-town Ohio, where women knelt down in snow and spilled liquor to pray for dryness, all the way through to the 18th Amendment’s repeal in 1933. It’s a story of bootleggers, Prohibitionists, rumrunners, and influential women fighting in courtrooms, Congress, and basement distilleries to save America from the perils of drink, and then later to restore individual freedoms from the grasp of a more intrusive government. Okrent’s final “single indisputable lesson” gleaned from Prohibition comes from bootlegger Sam Bronfman: “You people were thirsty.”
http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/we-read-it/2010/05/24/last-call-the-rise-and-fall-of-prohibition-.html

May 28 (Bloomberg) -- The start of U.S. Prohibition in 1920 had many unintended consequences, including the creation of a class of inventive, booze-smuggling entrepreneurs. By 1923, a motley collection of ships was sitting up and down the east coast on “Rum Row,” just outside the three-mile limit. Floating warehouses, they got supplies from the Bahamas and then fed a flotilla of smaller boats.
Daniel Okrent Discusses His Book `Last Call', video
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aJCMg9nBmOhA

and a podcast
http://www.slate.com/id/2254948/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21