Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper shoes with tuxedo 1930s-1940s?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I would like to know what is acceptable footwear with a tuxedo. I do not want shoes formal shoes only, I want them versatile enough to wear with non-formal clothing. Are spats acceptable with a tuxedo? I was thinking of Stacy Adams 00026 black/white faux spat? Any thoughts?
Thank you
Michael

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I personally don't bend the rules when it comes to formal and semiformal wear. Typically, lace-up patent leather oxfords, opera pumps or velvet slippers are the only "acceptable" options. Spats are for daytime use only, and therefore only really applicable to cutaway and cashmere stripes, or stroller and cashmere stripes. BUT, it sounds like you WANT to break the rules. I wear my velvet slippers with jeans and a nice shirt, so they are by all means versatile.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I guessed spats would be a "no". I seem to remember seeing slip on shoes usually. Oh well, I might break the rules. Thank you for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran