Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pull out the Tuxedos

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi Baron...

Quite right! Jacket came with button front trousers (with internal buttons for braces) and the whole thing feels like it was made for me. But, I tend to now wear my single breast and DB Tux with the trews (just cuts a sharper dash I feel, and has that coloninal/semi-military look to it).

You know yourself, it's amazing if you are patient, the sorts of things that folk throw out and end up in the charity shop (I'm not even going to depress myself to think what stuff just goes into a skip/bin!).

Personally, I love the 'black tie' formal look, sadly I don't have as many opportunities as I'd like to, to dress in such a way.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hats & Tux's...(photo)

Matt Deckard said:
Top hat's fine.

Any hat works for the Tux. It's a night time dinner outfit.

Tails on the other hand demand a top hat.

And to prove the point, a fedora with a single breasted Tux.

OldCambelliansScotland2005004.jpg

FedoraLoungeXmas005.jpg

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Here's a shot of my wife and I from her cousin's wedding:

By-the-Fire-2-2.jpg

I'm wearing a relatively low-gorge DB, peaked lapels with DB waistcoat. We were embarrassingly mistaken as the bride and groom by the reception staff. :eek: Then things got worse when the photographer took us aside to get a couple of portraits of just the two of us in front of this fire...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, since it's tuxedos were talking about:

tux3.jpg

Single breasted with peaked lapels (I only have the jacket). It's not really vintage, but my father and two uncles got married in it... and broke their legs shortly afterwards.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
20's Deadstock Kuppenheimer

For some reason cummerbunds look better with a pleated shirt instead of a plain dress shirt (as I had previously worn this tux with). I took a few pictures of what I will probably wear to the winter formal. This is a deadstock 1920's (unless you can prove it otherwise?) Kuppenheimer 1-button PL tuxedo. The silk on the lapels is starting to fray just a tad (maybe the silk was weighted and is starting to break apart?) so I'm not sure of how many more wears I will get out this beauitful tuxedo.

CIMG4616.jpg

CIMG4628.jpg

CIMG4626.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Good looking DJ.

Ghos7a55assin said:
The silk on the lapels is starting to fray just a tad (maybe the silk was weighted and is starting to break apart?) so I'm not sure of how many more wears I will get out this beautiful tuxedo.

Don't despair, the lapels can be refaced.;)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
One thing I haven't yet added to my collection of vintage suits is a tux. Since I prefer to buy second hand at thirft shops and unclaimed baggage outlets, I enjoy the challenge of finding just the right look and fit by chance. I have come across quite a few tuxes, but none that were exactly right - yet. I'll know it when I see it.

Speaking of . . .I remember my first time in a tux. I wore white tie and tails to my first high school prom (around 1982). I took a photo of Bela Lugosi to the tux rental place and had them match my tux to it. I guess I've always gone for vintage style.

-Matt Crunk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's what I like. Dress codes established 48 hours in advance. :)

I'm also a bit lighter than I was, Matt. It has created difficult choices. It may be a suit with no other options for me, alas. But I am there to meet you, Marc, James, Root, and all the other wonderful friends here. Exciting stuff - clothes secondary.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
... though overdressed in tails.

I agree. I think that wearing tailcoats on ocean liners -- even British ones -- went out of style not long after the TITANIC went down.

That said, who cares? If a tailcoat makes you feel good, then by all means wear it. No one is perfect enough to judge you, me, or anyone else on such a matter.

scotrace said:
That's what I like. Dress codes established 48 hours in advance. :)

I'm also a bit lighter than I was, Matt. It has created difficult choices. It may be a suit with no other options for me, alas. But I am there to meet you, Marc, James, Root, and all the other wonderful friends here. Exciting stuff - clothes secondary.

I am there to get those free cigars from you and a free tie from Marc. :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran