Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing vintage boots, what size?

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if perhaps someone here with more experience than I could enlighten me on purchasing vintage boots. How much longer then the length of your feet have you found is necessary in order for a proper fit? For example if my feet are 10.5 inches in length with a sock and I happen to spot boots that have an outside sole length of 11 inches, would these be too small? I understand that is most likely several factors involved regarding this but would be interested in reading your thoughts pertaining to this. Thanks

4spurs

One of the Regulars
It's the arch length that matters in any sort of boot or shoe. If the ball of your foot is in the widest part of the shoe that is the most important length in fitting a shoe or boot. Other than that all you need is about a thumb's width from the end of your toe to the end of the boot.

If you are trying to buy boots online from someone and you want to know how to figure if they might fit you should use the "wall to toe" measurements. People who buy vintage cowboy boots use those measurements.

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
I don't know much about boots but I truly have heard a lot about vintage shoes. why are you asking from folks. you should go to the store and choose what fits you and looks best.

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Hey fellas, thanks for the replies. Dusty I can't find vintage shoes where I am right now, there is only very commercial products around here that are generally overpriced. I'm sure not all vintage boots are created equal but in general it seems that quality in those times were a higher priority than now which is why I'm looking into possibly acquiring some.

My question was regarding possible tips in helping one find a proper fit when finding boots for sale on ebay. I notice sellers that are unsure of actual size stating sole length, how much does one factor in leather thickness, etc to deduce inner sole size?

By the way I have actually placed an order for some Weso Boss boots but was only entertaining the possibility of a nice deal on ebay.

kyboots

Practically Family
Equal I doubt if you find any good deals for Wesco boots on Ebay. Many sell for more than you can buy them for new.I guess the pictures sell some too. Shop around Big Black Boots, Stompers, etc. when ordering new. I am looking to buy some new brown/redwood engineers size 13 hit me up if you find any deals and I to you.Welcome... John

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
Shopping for vintage boots is a tough call, especially if you cannot try them on?
Boot manufacturers, seem to have slightly different ideas on sizing?.
So if a size 9D boot in one brand fits you, the same size boot in a different brand might not?

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo