Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Edward

Bartender
I'd do the same.

Regarding the shoes.... had a look at the website. They seem to have a great range of stuff, and I especially like the philosophy of shoes you can both dance in and wear day to day; I'm no lindy, and I'll never be precious enough to turn up at an event with a separate pair of shoes for dancing in, save when weather absolutely necessitates it.... The one thingb I coul tell on most of the leather shoes with the blacked outg sole was whether they are goodyear welted or stuck on. I'd have thought the former given how many of the others do look to be done that way, but it seemed odd they didn't mention it on the site. If they're cecent shoes, though, that's a pretty good price. Be interesting to compare them against Rocket Originals, which are around £20-£25 more for similar looking pairs.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT, i would seriously consider shortening the legs of those trousers to get a cleaner hang with only a slight break.
I appreciate your comment, but it's not the problem it first appears. The trousers are cut to wear high waisted, they also come with a two inch adjuster, this allows a contraction/expansion of my waistline. The need for this stems from a medication that I must take forever more, and that medication contains a steroid which plays havoc with my weight. Once I saw the photos, I not only adjusted the width of the pants, I adjusted the braces too. Now they hang the way my tailor intended them too.

I'd do the same.
Regarding the shoes.... had a look at the website. They seem to have a great range of stuff, and I especially like the philosophy of shoes you can both dance in and wear day to day; I'm no lindy, and I'll never be precious enough to turn up at an event with a separate pair of shoes for dancing in, save when weather absolutely necessitates it.... The one thingb I coul tell on most of the leather shoes with the blacked outg sole was whether they are goodyear welted or stuck on. I'd have thought the former given how many of the others do look to be done that way, but it seemed odd they didn't mention it on the site. If they're cecent shoes, though, that's a pretty good price. Be interesting to compare them against Rocket Originals, which are around £20-£25 more for similar looking pairs.

Edward, you need to get yourself along to the Twinwood Festival, it's held on the August public holiday. Just get a day ticket for Saturday. There's well over a hundred vintage traders there, including Colin Johnson and Rocket Originals.

If you have heard of Mrs Joanne Massey, better known to all on the vintage circuit as: Lola Lamour, she it was who pointed me towards Colin Johnson. Colin's shoes are extremely well made, and, wearing them in the street naturally wears down the heel, i've had a couple of pairs re-heeled without detriment. The thing that I like most about his shoes is that you put them on for the first time and there's no newness pinch, it's like you have always worn them. Now I sound like a sales drive for Colin's shoes, but honestly, get yourself along to Twinwood this year and see the man. But a word of warning, there is so much in the sales stores that this event can seriously damage your wealth.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Edward, you need to get yourself along to the Twinwood Festival, it's held on the August public holiday. Just get a day ticket for Saturday. There's well over a hundred vintage traders there, including Colin Johnson and Rocket Originals.

I owe you an apology Edward, not only did you start a Mr. Twinwood thread, but I commented on it too.
The hairline falling out, the waistline spreading out, both I can cope with. But the memory going, does that mean it's time to sit in my chair and dribble?

Edward

Bartender
I owe you an apology Edward, not only did you start a Mr. Twinwood thread, but I commented on it too.
The hairline falling out, the waistline spreading out, both I can cope with. But the memory going, does that mean it's time to sit in my chair and dribble?

lol No wirres, I'd forgotten about that thread too! I've yet to actually make it to the event, though, so the information about the stalls there is really useful. Seriously considering going for the Saturday this year.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Winkle boots! Finally! As soon as the financial dust settles around here (following this week's VS Hats payment), it's back to the '64 Stones look for me.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
next time i wear a DB suit i think i'll try the dark shirt and cap combo, for that slightly 'shady' character look:

ScreenShot2012-08-28at105547.png

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

I can say this about a many Gentlemen that post around these topics of attire but Sir, you dress so very dignified and sure look great! My Husband tends to appreciate being well dressed, even if merely making a "milk run".

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Dark shirt and cap can be awesome, and yes, a bit vagabond-y.

djangoschick.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

I have been reading and taking the time to peek at your "take" on fashions and what works, in your opinions. You could without a doubt, consult as a profession, to those that are totally fashion blind. They are out there, really.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I can say this about a many Gentlemen that post around these topics of attire but Sir, you dress so very dignified and sure look great! My Husband tends to appreciate being well dressed, even if merely making a "milk run".

You flatter me kind lady, but your compliment is well received, many thanks.

That 'milk run' expression brings back many happy times for me. Back in the early sixties, when some of the later, to become, big named bands, were performing some distance away from where I lived in London, my friends and I would catch a train to wherever it was that the performance was being played. Last train home usually meant about 11:00 pm. If the young lady who had caught your eye was up for a kiss and a cuddle, and sometimes a furtive fumble, it inevitably meant that you missed the last train home.

However, there was always the 'milk run.' So called because it carried the fresh deliveries to those roundsmen who left a pint of milk on your doorstep. The milk run was actually a freight train that not only carried milk but also brought the morning newspapers. So well used was it that train companies often added a couple of extra, passenger cars.

So what's your definition of the 'Milk Run?'

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You flatter me kind lady, but your compliment is well received, many thanks.

That 'milk run' expression brings back many happy times for me. Back in the early sixties, when some of the later, to become, big named bands, were performing some distance away from where I lived in London, my friends and I would catch a train to wherever it was that the performance was being played. Last train home usually meant about 11:00 pm. If the young lady who had caught your eye was up for a kiss and a cuddle, and sometimes a furtive fumble, it inevitably meant that you missed the last train home.

However, there was always the 'milk run.' So called because it carried the fresh deliveries to those roundsmen who left a pint of milk on your doorstep. The milk run was actually a freight train that not only carried milk but also brought the morning newspapers. So well used was it that train companies often added a couple of extra, passenger cars.

So what's your definition of the 'Milk Run?'

A milk run here for us, is simply heading to the grocery store and picking up some milk, perhaps a loaf of bread and some other item that may be needed for a meal that was not already purchased or forgot to purchase.

We can make a beer run for similar needs that are liquid, but that term does not always depict actually buying beer, as it normally would be we ran out of pepsi or coke. lol!

Mr. Purple

New in Town
I've gotten hold of a matching set of trousers and gilet waistcoat - no doubt once part of a three-piece suit but now orphaned. The fabric is a lovely thick Harris Tweed (I'm sure) in a pale, subtly mottled teal colour. Lovat green comes pretty close as a description. Everything about them points towards the sixties. As I instantly fell in love with both cut and fabric, I am now trying to figure out what jacket to wear them with.
I've rarely seen matching trousers and waistcoats paired with odd jackets - have you any thoughts on this, loungers?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Mr Purple: You describe the waistcaot as a gilet. Do you mean it is a high neck waistcoat of the type normally sen on hunting/shooting suits?
If so, i wouldn't necessarily pair it with a suit jacket. I'm thinking it might work well with a short brown moleskin coat, for the gamekeeper/poacher look.

Mr. Purple

New in Town
Mr Purple: You describe the waistcaot as a gilet. Do you mean it is a high neck waistcoat of the type normally sen on hunting/shooting suits?

The neck opening is quite normal, fitting for a tie to be worn with it - by "gilet" I simply meant that the bottom of the waistcoat is cut straight across. I should try and photograph it, of course...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
A possible contrasting match up, find a fairly light off white or beige color Jacket. Something that is not too heavy, perhaps wool/silk blend that could be worn year round.

Edward

Bartender
I've rarely seen matching trousers and waistcoats paired with odd jackets - have you any thoughts on this, loungers?

Not out of place among the country set here in the UK, where a matching waistcoat and tweed blazer would be worn most typically with boldly coloured corduroys, or possibly moleskin trousers. I'm rather fond of my scarlet-coloured corduroys paired with a tweed jacket in a green tone, or, for something less flash, a purple, burgundy, biscuit or bottle green would be a good choice. Your jacket and waistcoat could well have been part of a suit originally, but it will look superb with the right 'odd' trousers.

The neck opening is quite normal, fitting for a tie to be worn with it - by "gilet" I simply meant that the bottom of the waistcoat is cut straight across. I should try and photograph it, of course...

George Bernard Shaw once said that Britain and America are "two nations divided by a common language". At least with English as a seond language you have an excuse! ;) Over here that would simply be referred to as a straight-bottomed waistcoat - I don't think the tailoring business has another term for it in the UK? It's less common to see a single-breated waistcoat like this (straight bottoms are the norm with DB waistcoats), but they do crop up. Old town offer them; I had a high street linen suit years ago which had a waistcoat of that design.

Mr. Purple

New in Town
you've misread Edward; it's the trousers and waistcoat which match and the jacket which would be 'odd'. not impossible to do but certainly trickier.

That's right. The impression could easily lean towards "boiler suit under a jacket" unless the right jacket is found. I'm considering a tan Harris tweed jacket in the same weight.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy