Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mark from Plano said:
I seem to be sensing a lot of folks (not all) suggesting that "rules are bunk", "experiment yourself", "wear what you think looks good."

I'd like to respectfully disagree. If you are asking the question it's probably because you haven't yet trained your eye to understand what looks good and what doesn't. This is precisely the situation in which listening to others and following a few rules makes the most sense. Otherwise you're just floundering in the dark. No one would suggest learning to ski or do surgery by just "experimenting yourself" or "doing what you think makes sense."

Color and pattern matching is a skill that can be learned and rules are helpful while you're learning. Once you've mastered the basics, then experimenting and trusting your eye makes a lot of sense, until then it's probably a bad idea.

the axiom I have always liked in writing is you have to know the rules or at least understand them to break them properly. Same with clothing I would guess. YOu have to understand why a certain rule (if it is a good one) is true, before you can break it without it looking bad.

Feraud

Bartender
reetpleat said:
the axiom I have always liked in writing is you have to know the rules or at least understand them to break them properly. Same with clothing I would guess. YOu have to understand why a certain rule (if it is a good one) is true, before you can break it without it looking bad.
Very good point.

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Didn't want to start a new thread just looking for some advice from you guys. walked into a thrift store and found a lovely 40's style black double breasted jacket with white pinstripe, changed hands for a couple of bob (£2) thought just occured to me how I'm actually gonna wear it without the trousers. I'm not very imaginative with suits/jackets...any suggestions greatly appreciated.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lee M Roberts said:
Didn't want to start a new thread just looking for some advice from you guys. walked into a thrift store and found a lovely 40's style black double breasted jacket with white pinstripe, changed hands for a couple of bob (£2) thought just occured to me how I'm actually gonna wear it without the trousers. I'm not very imaginative with suits/jackets...any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Black with white pinstripes? I have a jacket like that too. I call dibs on any slacis or matching suit that comes up on ebay.

I will complete this suit somehow someday.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I have a quick question that might have been covered in this thread already (but I couldn't find it if it was). I found a navy blue with grey pinstripe suit jacket at a thrift shop, but sadly it had no trousers. Would it not look correct to wear a pair of solid navy blue trousers with it?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
light light yellow striped shirt with rounded collar goes great with the oatmeal suit and moss and rust striped tie (then again a solid colored suit and a hard to see patterned shirt that are both pretty neutral colors alway works well with a patterned tie).

l_4cdf52359f0f840449cb6717d2830304.jpg

l_0c8a66a23be1ea0aeb5c86d3272c724c.jpg

Another one of those everything works combos. Blue pindot tie with black suit and white shirt.
l_22fcdbec5c4b9f25d36fb5b10158a328.jpg

The patterns aren't really that far off in scale when you look at the black stripes in the tie compared to the width of the plaid, It's the scales in balance that makes it work. The red handkerchief harmonizes but doesn't duplicate the burgundy in the tie.
l_5a72bb7e716e3cec1b8755232586f9c4.jpg

The stripes of the tie and the shirt have little in common and because they are both stripes, if they were similar in width or girth they would fight your eye. Here they are fine by themselves yet ad to the complete look.
1534696368_l.jpg

porpied hat and popped collar for that over the hill bachelor bobbysoxer jitterbug look when you hit the swing clubs
l_7c038dd296fecbcf0683fde107b2f340.jpg

That work shirt with a natty looking wool tie and an old sportjacket look. One pattern so less worry, it's all about the palette here.
l_fb902f9464a138c4356652f4cd78af48.jpg

And sometimes the bowler hat does work with anything.
l_16d99c50484bc0e07fc38b44175af885.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo