Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on A-2 Fit

South

One of the Regulars
Can someone point me to some pictures of the proper fit of an A-2's sleeve length?

I have a new Schott 184SM and the sleeve length seems exactly perfect, but I'm wondering if the sleeves will shorten as the leather breaks in and creases around the elbows? I know it's not an actual A-2, but a similar pattern. It's their naked cowhide, so I don't know how much, if any shrinkage/shortening I should expect on the sleeves?

I'm thinking I may should get the long version and have the sleeves be an inch too long and expect that they will shorten to the right size over the next year?

Thanks for any help and advice.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
as you say, the 184sm is truly not an a-2, or g-1, but some motorcycle jacket attempt to combine the styles...and for not being militarily authentic, i'd say nicely too

from everything i've heard and experienced with leather, it is supposed to stretch, if anything, with wear, unless you throw it in the washing machine like a number of people around here do with their jackets

i'm guessing, at the least, it will stay the size it is now...for me the issue of getting a long is always associated with how long it is at the waist...i think the long version is 28" (for their new jackets), about 2-3" longer in the length...you might wish to consider that

nice jacket, if looking for a moto style vs. mil jacket...enjoy it

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info. I'm happy with the style.

My concern is, I've read comments about the sleeves on a leather jacket becoming a tad shorter over time, because of creases that develop in the elbow. Granted, I think most of the info had to do with horse hide, so I don't know if it will apply to cowhide.

Thanks again.

Peacoat

Bartender
As the leather "wrinkles," or develops creases, the arm length will shorten slightly. Makes no difference if it is horse, cow or goat. Probably won't be noticeable, unless the arms are marginal or too short to begin with, then it will be very noticeable.

Tokyo Jones

New in Town
My understanding is that horsehide will indeed form creases over time which will cause the sleeves to ride up slightly. Cowhide should exhibit less of this tendency, however. It and goatskin have a greater tendency to drape, which minimizes the degree to which the sleeves will drape.

You will find no better pictures anywhere of A-2s than on John Chapman's website, Goodwear Leather. Look here for many photos of his various reproductions, several of which he models himself, giving an excellent reference for A-2 fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace