Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quintessential Blues Brothers hat?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So what is the quintessential blues brothers hat? For the amount of times I have watched this movie I still have not sat down and just looked at the hat to figure out who makes the closest one on the market. So the question gets thrown out to you guys. What do you think?

Johnny

BLUES.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I have a vintage 1960s stingy brim Stetson in blacker then black that is, from repeated viewings and readings of the book and movie, to be nearly the exact model.
I'll take pictures when I get home, I forget the exact specs on it.

Oh, and I did purchase it for my Jake Blues costume.

Goose.

Practically Family
Interesting timing as I am going to wear my Akubra Hampton today. That decision as a result of the "Brim Up/Down" thread. So maybe I'l ltake a pic or two to post.

The Hampton description on the Hats Direct site is below. I'm no expert, but I don't think it nails the Blues Brother's style on the head. Note though, the description does state "closest".

Seeing that others are posting with a closer/exact hits :)

"Fashion hat, brim 48 mm. A small brimmed town hat, with a snap brim, it is the closest style we have to a Blues Bros style."
http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=41&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

EDIT Note: Added pic of my Hampton...the feathered pic was taken immediately out of the box. Plucked right after the shot...
600498757_QsEyp-M.jpg
555581752_EmZg3-M.jpg

johnnycanuck

[Jake Blues is released on parole and gets back all the things he wore when he was arrested]
Corrections Officer: One Timex digital watch, broken. One unused prophylactic.
[looks disgusted, picks something up with his pen]
Corrections Officer: One soiled. One black suit jacket, one pair black suit pants. One hat
[punches it back out to full]
Corrections Officer: black. One pair of sunglasses. $23.07. Sign here.

Did I mention I love this movie.

babs

A-List Customer
I saw one of the big dealer sites saying something about the "official" BB hats.. I'm sure they're just selling hats, but had some good descriptive info. I'll try to find it.

Strikes me as your basic garden variety early '60's style skinny lapel and tie look with a center-dent, front-pinch, stingy-brim fedora. I kinda like the look actually.. Somewhere between a classic G-man crossed with a jazz player.

Ah.. Here it is: not promoting the hat at all but...
http://www.villagehatshop.com/golden-gate_blues-brothers.html

Interesting.. The hat I just bought looks like fairly close yet with a little more brim.. and in a decent fur felt.. and I wasn't even trying for the blues brothers look.. Just liked the hat. Edit.. The more authentic, might be with a little higher crown than mine, unsure about the brim.

2stuploadfromcamera099.jpg

2stuploadfromcamera101.jpg

.... Miller hats for that particular hat if you wanted one. To my newbie tastes, I think it's a pretty nice hat on a budget.

johnnycanuck

Odd I figured there would be a large Blues brothers following here. I know they aren't Indiana Jones but common, they are still way cool. They introduced me to the blues when I was in high school. Used to listen to house of blues radio hour on Sunday nights finishing up my homework for school on Monday. Oh well it looks like I may have to buy just one more Akubra.
Johnny

duggap

Banned
But Johnny, the only problem is that they wore stingies. If it ain't 2 1/2 inches in the brim, oh well. Some stingies look real cool but I just like those big ole brim hats.:p

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
According to an e-mail from Deborah Nadoolman, costumer designer, posted over on COW, these were custom-made hats. I seem to recall in the dim recesses of my mind that Gary White might have made them, and he does mention the movie on his website. You might try him.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy