Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raines and Letterman in an SB

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I wonder about the attire of Jeff Goldblum in Raines. He is, to be sure, a lanky man whom I'm sure is tough to clothe. In his Raines part, he always wears skinny ties (and double vented jackets). Oddly counterintuitive, but the skinny ties work really well with such a tall person. He generally appears disheveled on the show, which I don't get because he's clearly wearing fitted clothes. Anyone else take notice?

I saw the other night a clip of Letterman--wearing a single-breasted jacket! I've been watching the guy for more than a couple of decades, and he's always worn DB jackets. I thought he looked so good in an SB, I can't tell you. He used to have his people pin the DB jackets so they could be open, but not overly so. I really think an SB is so much better for him, I can't believe it took him so long. Others?

Jovan

Suspended
What I've learned from here is the guidelines that you hear a lot don't always apply. I know that's harsh, but I've seen a short, wide man make a double breasted look good, and a guy who's lankier than me and 6'3 make a single button narrow peaked lapel work. I've also tried on a narrow striped single breasted suit in two button that looked fantastic on me, despite my height being 6'-6'1 and being of light build. I even used to think I should stay away from peaked lapels. I'm glad I have that notion out of my head now.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
adamgottschalk said:
He used to have his people pin the DB jackets so they could be open, but not overly so.
Where did you here that? I've attended a few Late Night tapings, even watched from the wings once, and never saw any such thing. He does have an annoying habit of constantly buttoning and unbuttoning his jacket during the monologue but he always keeps the jigger (inside) button, buttoned.

Jovan

Suspended
Just looked up pictures of Goldblum's character in that show. Someone there has the same sense of aesthetics as me. With the possible exception of the trouser rise... they're a bit low.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
Where did you here that? I've attended a few Late Night tapings, even watched from the wings once, and never saw any such thing. He does have an annoying habit of constantly buttoning and unbuttoning his jacket during the monologue but he always keeps the jigger (inside) button, buttoned.
I never heard it anywhere. Just what I had casually assumed over years of casually looking at him. I've never worn or even tried on a DB jacket, so I've no clue really. It always looked to me like something more was going on than just an inside button being buttoned. I couldn't find any stills that have what I'm thinking of, but here's a shot where he seems to be making fun of this very thing, like, "Look, Ma, no pins."

dave.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR