Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare! John Cavanagh early Equestrian Derby c1928 Need to finish restoration

I don't throw the word RARE around loosely... this Derby is very early in the Cavanagh brand and production. Equestrian, so it is like a helmet. Liner and sweat are complete, need some stitching and cleaning. The features of this hat are really cool...size on sweat band - "Seven-One-Quarter" and a quilted liner. The early address of John Cavanagh, 247 Park Avenue, New York used from 1928 to the early 1930s. The Derby was made in the C&K factory which is also unusual and early. Showing showing "honest" patina, I'd leave it. This hat needs to be restored, not on my list right now. Asking $185 shipped. Probably would have some issues with international shipping due to the 'Rona issues, but willing to work with you.
26Sep17 Cavanagh Derby 11 oz.jpg
26Sep17 John Cavanagh liner.jpg
26Sep17 John Cavanagh liner detail.jpg
26Sep17 Cavanagh sweat 7 1 4.jpg
liner logo sm.jpg
mfg tag sm.jpg

I don't throw the word RARE around loosely... this Derby is very early in the Cavanagh brand and production. Equestrian, so it is like a helmet. Liner and sweat are complete, need some stitching and cleaning. The features of this hat are really cool...size on sweat band - "Seven-One-Quarter" and a quilted liner. The early address of John Cavanagh, 247 Park Avenue, New York used from 1928 to the early 1930s. The Derby was made in the C&K factory which is also unusual and early. Showing showing "honest" patina, I'd leave it. This hat needs to be restored, not on my list right now. Asking $185 shipped. Probably would have some issues with international shipping due to the 'Rona issues, but willing to work with you. View attachment 229903 View attachment 229904 View attachment 229907 View attachment 229908 View attachment 229909 View attachment 229910
That’s a very cool liner in that one Mike

I'm going to put this up on Ebay tonight. What is the consensus about the price for this old Derby? Less/more? Prices on Ebay are kind of crazy, but I can't tell if they are selling.

I'm going to put this up on Ebay tonight. What is the consensus about the price for this old Derby? Less/more? Prices on Ebay are kind of crazy, but I can't tell if they are selling.
Might not be the best timing to be putting things up for sale. I have had a number of items, hats and non hat items that under normal circumstances would have sold quickly but it is pretty soft out there these days.

Might not be the best timing to be putting things up for sale. I have had a number of items, hats and non hat items that under normal circumstances would have sold quickly but it is pretty soft out there these days.
You are probably right. I'm trying to raise funds for a custom hat at Mike Miller's that is getting ready to be made.

I’m surprised at how little inventory there is out there. I thought I’d see more hats hit the market as people try to raise capital, but so far I’ve noticed just the opposite. I hope that means things aren’t as bad as I feared.

As to this derby, it’s not my size, and even if it was I don’t know what I’d do with it, but I want it. It’s pretty darn cool. I think I’d leave it as it is and use it as a decoration.

I’m surprised at how little inventory there is out there. I thought I’d see more hats hit the market as people try to raise capital, but so far I’ve noticed just the opposite. I hope that means things aren’t as bad as I feared.

As to this derby, it’s not my size, and even if it was I don’t know what I’d do with it, but I want it. It’s pretty darn cool. I think I’d leave it as it is and use it as a decoration.

I was thinking that too... but also I’ve encountered sellers that posted things for sale earlier... that are afraid to ship the items until afterward... so I am sure that means they are not listing more items.

Also many sellers are unable to access their supply sources... garage sales and flea markets and antique shops.

And yes... it’s a very cool hat :)

I think I'll probably throw it out on Ebay today. Maybe some rich person will give it a home. I should go through the effort to restore it, but the lure of a new hat from Northwest Hats is too great.

I agree, if I wasn't downsizing my 'collection' this would be a great piece to have.

I was thinking that too... but also I’ve encountered sellers that posted things for sale earlier... that are afraid to ship the items until afterward... so I am sure that means they are not listing more items.

Also many sellers are unable to access their supply sources... garage sales and flea markets and antique shops.

And yes... it’s a very cool hat :)
Undeterred I have been ordering lots of items on line. Delivery via post and UPS is very very slow. I ordered two books from Amazon that took a full 5 weeks BEYOND the posted delivery date.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I was hoping to see some serious price drops as people try to reduce Inventory and get cash while they can but I suspect more are just holding on to what they've got until this blows over.

If anyone here wants the Cav Derby shoot me an offer. Would like to keep this collector's item in the family. Otherwise, I'll toss it in "the Bay" later tonight.

Undeterred I have been ordering lots of items on line. Delivery via post and UPS is very very slow. I ordered two books from Amazon that took a full 5 weeks BEYOND the posted delivery date.
I have had other vendors refuse to use the USPS as that would require they leave their house. With UPS etc they come to your door and pick up.

I have had other vendors refuse to use the USPS as that would require they leave their house. With UPS etc they come to your door and pick up.
I have been the sacrificial lamb in out family, doing the shopping and going to the post office. I have no problem leaving the house, I just don't get crazy about it. You can't be so afraid of the 'Rona Monster that you totally isolate yourself, just take precautions. I look at each trip as a chance to dress up and make an event of it.
Easter 2020 White DB and tipping Boater 600x.jpg
26Mar20 Lineage Suit braces 550x.jpg

I have been the sacrificial lamb in out family, doing the shopping and going to the post office. I have no problem leaving the house, I just don't get crazy about it. You can't be so afraid of the 'Rona Monster that you totally isolate yourself, just take precautions. I look at each trip as a chance to dress up and make an event of it.
View attachment 230596 View attachment 230597
You are a better man than I....I am the designated shopper in our house but I tend to wear the same sweats that adorn my body during my self isolation inside the house....no sense dressing up for the grocery store for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot