Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Restoration: Who to use?

Juanito

One of the Regulars
So I have a Roughwear A-2 I literally bought off the pack of a punk rocker walking down the street in Seattle about 20 years ago. Leather and stitching are in great shape, but the numbskull removed every cloth component in the jacket as well as the two lower leather tabs for the waistband.

I am not getting any younger and I need to have the jacket restored, meaning new liner, cuffs, waistband, zipper, label, etc.

I would like to have it done as accurately as possible and I am not too concerned about the cost as I would rather have it done right. I approached John Chapman, but he doesn't do restoration work. I have not approached Eastman and would be happy with their components having owned a number of their jackets.

Who does anyone recommend?

AdeeC

Practically Family
I believe Aero Leathers of Scotland will do restorations on A2's. They have all the right gear and components.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You might ask Diamond Dave who is in Tulsa OK and partners with JC to make A-2's. Maybe Gibson and Barnes in San Diego but last heard they no longer do repair work on anything other their own. Otherwise Aero likely your best option. Any option for an accurate repair will be expensive especially if you ship overseas. G&B might be your best bet for the least cost to you if they will do it.

zhz

Practically Family
If you want it accurate, you can try Diamond Dave, but don't know if he offering this service. Alternative, Try Bill Kelso in EU, they are nearly as accurate as JC. And I know they do restoration.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero and Good Wear both use the same knits, and they will do repair/restoration work. I have an A-2 'kit' for an old Cable contract that's too big for me - knits, lining, badge - and Aero said that these could all be swapped for the nasty stuff that's currently in place.

Yes, but those cuffs are made from the chest hairs of alpha rams for men who drink coffee, not latte, for men of action, not fashion forum queens, etc.,etc.........

lol oh right, I constantly keep forgetting what is it we pay for when buying from Lost Worlds.
horse.gif
You can't put a price on that.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
lol oh right, I constantly keep forgetting what is it we pay for when buying from Lost Worlds.
horse.gif
You can't put a price on that.

The one thing you can't accuse Stu of is pouring all his profits into needlessly fancy webdesign, that's for sure.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a Roughwear A2 relined and re-knitted by BK in Greece. They did a fantastic job and it cost around 130 Euros. You could also try Alexander Leathers in Scotland. Eastman no longer do restoration work, unless its one of their own jackets.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great Leathers sounds like the best option I have see thus far. International shipping is quite expensive (domestic shipping ain't cheap these days either).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff