Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray

MissTayva

I am really surprised to see nothing posted on the movie, Ray!
Anywho, I didn't get to see it in the theater, but purchased it the day it was released for home viewing.

My thoughts on the movie--
The wardrobing was great, although a little inacurate at times. I saw a lot of mid '50s shirts used in scenes that were supposed to portray the late 1940s (ie: 'raindrop' patterned gabardine shirts, shirt-jacs). Mostly, I don't see women's clothing in movies that I drool over, but in this film, I most certainly did!

I disliked how they completely omitted the fact that Mr. Charles played saxophone. That was a well-known fact! I am curious as to why they did this.

The entire movie was astounding, but I was a little displeased with the ending. I suppose a lot of it has to do with Mr. Charles still being alive at the time the movie was made.

Anyone else have thoughts/reviews on this movie?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I really liked this movie, although they glossed over several areas—I think it is hard to cover such a detailed/intense life in only one movie, though.
I was pleased to see that they didn't really downplay his addictions/womanizing. A lot of films based on the life of a celebrity skim over the less-than-stellar choices that particular person made. You may not always like what a person did, but they may still have been a talented and interesting person!

(By the way, my favorite movie for fashion is Seabiscuit. It's takes place an era before this film, but from the shoes all the way to the hats, somebody was really doing his homework!)

MissTayva

I've yet to see Seabiscuit. I am surprised that we purchased Ray as quickly as we did. I usually rent a couple of years after they were released, haha. I have heard that the costuming was very elaborate and accurate. Hopefully I'll remember to rent it soon!

I certainly wish that Ray was longer. I am a huge fan of his! :)
I agree-- I am glad that none of his negative attributes were omitted in the film, especially being that he was involved with the making of the film.
I just can't get over what an astounding job Jaime Foxx did in portraying Mr. Charles!

You may not always like what a person did, but they may still have been a talented and interesting person!

Agreed. Such in the case of the Tina Turner story. I was never really a fan of hers, but I absolutely love Ike! Even though the film portrayed him to be an absolute ba***rd (for lack of a better word!), I still find him to be an extremely talented musician and interesting person. I know too many people who turned to dislike him after that film premiered... which is sad!

up196

A-List Customer
The most astounding part of Ray, in my opinion . . .

MissTayva said:
I am really surprised to see nothing posted on the movie, Ray!
The entire movie was astounding, but I was a little displeased with the ending. I suppose a lot of it has to do with Mr. Charles still being alive at the time the movie was made.
There is a scene where the band is getting off the bus to have lunch at Mercedes' place. The camera pans up the side of the bus and, for about 3 seconds, you can see an old black car parked across the street in front of the bus by a telephone pole. It's my car!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
great film...anyone really laugh at the pink sunglasses the bar owner put on Ray towards the beginning? he looked really funky in those...lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
yah i just watched it yesterday and realized that...didn't really take away from the film though...i love the music so lol...and his blue suit at one of the concerts...wow! what kind of tie/collar deal did he have on??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats