Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended movies from the golden era only

rue

I haven't seen Blazing Saddles in ages, but I do remember that line :)
I'll take your advice.

Casablanca.... hmmm..... I think I will try watching that again. It comes highly recommended by a friend of mine too.

Thanks Mike :)

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I haven't seen Blazing Saddles in ages, but I do remember that line :)
I'll take your advice.

Casablanca.... hmmm..... I think I will try watching that again. It comes highly recommended by a friend of mine too.

Thanks Mike :)

I love the old westerns that Randolph Scott did. Scott gre up here in Charlotte NC and was good friends with Billy Graham. He is even buried here in Charlotte ( just some trivia) He did a lot of westerns in the 1950's that were produced by John Wayne's production company Batjac. Some of my favorites are:
1. The Tall T
2. Seven Men From Now
3. Ten Wanted Men
4. Tall Man Riding
5. The Bounty Hunter

It looks like your list is growing by leaps and bounds so if you have the time, you should have a lot of great movies to watch.

Take care

Kirk H.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Rue

I looked through much of the thread, but didn't have time to make sure no one had suggested these, but three that are fine and enjoyable and each offer its particular piece of what the time was really like ...

The Egg and I

Father was a Fullback

and

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

Also the Andy Hardy series ...

These all offer a unique look at the times, how people talked, how they dressed, stuff that the history books usually leave out...

Sam

rue

Rue

I looked through much of the thread, but didn't have time to make sure no one had suggested these, but three that are fine and enjoyable and each offer its particular piece of what the time was really like ...

The Egg and I

Father was a Fullback

and

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

Also the Andy Hardy series ...

These all offer a unique look at the times, how people talked, how they dressed, stuff that the history books usually leave out...

Sam

The only one I've seen is The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, so thank you Sam :)

I really hope others (besides me) benefit from this entire thread :)

Masked Marvel

New in Town
It seems like no one has mentioned the Serials.......

If you have not seen any of the classic cliffhangers of the era....your missing out.

I would recommend any of the Republic ones.....they where considered the best....

You can get some on dvd.....

Adventures of Captain Marvel....
King of the Royal Mounted....
G-Men vs the Black Dragon...
Batman
Batman and Robin....

If you look on ebay...you can find more.

Just a thought...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Rue,

The interesting thing about the Andy Hardy series and other "family" oriented films from the 40s is that they seem to give an idea of what the time was like ... what it felt like ... or at least what the people of the time wished that it felt like, and I suppose that is all that popular art can hope for

Today's TV certainly doesn't document daily life ... but it does, rather sadly I would argue ... give some flavors of our time

When you watch these family movies you can get a taste of the time

In Father was a fullback, Natalie Wood uses some terrific slang

Andy Hardy illustrates several of the clothing fads of his era

They are a terrific snap shot of another era.

Sam

DNO

One Too Many
Wings (1927): Silent film but the only silent film to ever win the Oscar for best movie.

Hell's Angels (1930): Howard Hughes directing Jean Harlow. The aerial scenes are spectacular.

Gunga Din (1939): Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Victor McLaglen and Sam Jaffe...how can you lose? (I love McLaglen)

Beau Geste (1939): Gary Cooper and a delightfully evil Brian Donlevy.

In Which We Serve (1942): Directed by and starring Noel Coward.

King Solomon's Mines (1950): Stuart Grainger...a man's man, indeed.

The Cruel Sea (1953): a little outside your date range but a great film about the naval service in WW2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Huge EGR fan here...
The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse. He's a Doctor in this one, that gets involved in crime, to study why criminals are lured (or drawn) to it physically. I believe Bogie is in this one as well. Really good film.
Larceny Inc, another fine film.
Key Largo, has that one been mentioned already? Bogie, Bacall and Lionel Barrymore...need I say more?
We are also Stanwyck fans.
Night Nurse has been mentioned, but also look at Banjo On My Knee (saw that one the other night and loved it) with a young Walter Brennan (you hardly recognize him).
I'll have to go back and look through my collection to see what else we've watched, but this is a good start.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Rue,

I'm a huge Orson Welles fan and here are some of his finest.

The Third Man. (He played Harry Lime. One of his best)
The Lady from Shanghi
Touch of Evil

:)

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
As my fellow Loungers have such fabulous taste in films a lot of my favourites have been mentioned already. So I'd like to contribute the following selection of British films made in 1950 or earlier. (I know some of them have already been mentioned too).

Brighton Rock (1947)
In Which We Serve (1942)
The Clouded Yellow (1950)
They Made Me A Fugitive (1947)
Night and the City (1950)
It Always Rains on Sunday (1947)
Passport to Pimlico (1949)
Odd Man Out (1947)
The Third Man (1949)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
39 Steps (1939)
Piccadilly (1929)

I don't know how many of them will be available in the US, but if you get the chance, I'd say they're all worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany