Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reefer Madness- 1936

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Madness

OK, I don't even know if it's proper to talk about this movie. To me it's more of a joke. "Reefer Madness" circa 1936. Anyone seen it. The first time I saw it was for health class in high school (no pun intended). It was on today,, and I must say aside from being all too funny the clothes in it are great. Wish I could do some screen grabs for you, but I don't have it on DVD.
Well, has anyone seen this farce of a film? What did ya think? How 'bout them clothes??

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
OK, I don't even know if it's proper to talk about this movie. To me it's more of a joke. "Reefer Madness" circa 1936. Anyone seen it. The first time I saw it was for health class in high school (no pun intended). It was on today,, and I must say aside from being all too funny the clothes in it are great. Wish I could do some screen grabs for you, but I don't have it on DVD.
Well, has anyone seen this farce of a film? What did ya think? How 'bout them clothes??

I have, and find it a hilariously bad little film. I've got it on DVD from Legend Films, and they have both a restored black & white version and a colorized version on the disc - and they colorized it with exaggerated colors (each cloud of smoke is a different color, for example). The DVD also includes a hilarious commentary track by Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame.

Daisy Buchanan

That sounds great. I'm glad I'm not the only person who found this little film hilarious. But wow, the ladies and mens hats and clothes are rather incredible. Ladies hair is wonderful too.
Very funny film to show in a high school health class. It didn't really send the right message. Trying to convince a bunch of 15 year olds that if we smoked reefer we would go insane and run people down with cars or shoot them. Or take advantage of women, to put it politely. But, the clothes sure are great!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
That sounds great. I'm glad I'm not the only person who found this little film hilarious. But wow, the ladies and mens hats and clothes are rather incredible. Ladies hair is wonderful too.
Very funny film to show in a high school health class. It didn't really send the right message. Trying to convince a bunch of 15 year olds that if we smoked reefer we would go insane and run people down with cars or shoot them. Or take advantage of women, to put it politely. But, the clothes sure are great!

I agree - the clothes are great! I've always had the theory that watching the no-budget Z-grade films of yesteryear is a great way to see normal everyday clothes, as they probably couldn't afford a huge wardrobe department.

Daisy Buchanan

Atomic Glee said:
I agree - the clothes are great! I've always had the theory that watching the no-budget Z-grade films of yesteryear is a great way to see normal everyday clothes, as they probably couldn't afford a huge wardrobe department.
I never thought of that. Very good point indeed:)

Daisy Buchanan

I just noticed. I actually have a dress that looks exactly like the black and plaid dress that the woman is wearing when she jumps out the window. Was gonna wear it this weekend in NYC, but maybe I shouldn't!

Story

I'll Lock Up
The motion picture ou are about to witness may startle you. It would not have been possible, otherwise, to sufficently emphasize the frightful toll of the new drug menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers. Marihuana is that drug - a violent narcotic - an unspeakable scourge - The Real Public Enemy Number One!

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/24/2f/357c4310fca0c77150fe7010.L.jpg
:D
The movie is posted online, although it's a twitchy connection and a dubious website.
http://www.crrh.org/hemptv/misc_reefer.html

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've seen the musical

The musical is pretty funny. I watched part of the original not too long after and realized they copied more than I thought. The cast has "that guy from Wings", "that one lady from Saturday Night Live", "That girl that plays Veronica Mars" and "that Alan Cummings guy".
Please rate how helpful this comment was. ( )1 ( )2 ( )3 ( )4 ( )5

The Wolf

Mike in Seattle

Daisy Buchanan said:
I was looking up info on the film on IMDB and I came across "Reefer Madness:The Musical". Looks like a pretty funny mockery of the 1936 film. Anyone seen it? Wonder if the clothes are good....

I've only seen snippets from the original, but I did see the musical when it came out a couple years ago. The clothes weren't THAT vintage-y, unfortunately, but for a musical spoof of an old movie, it was pretty funny.

funneman

Practically Family
Madness

The first time I saw this film was at one of the those Midnight Madness film festivals in the late '60's.

I remember being a little sad that these people had worked so hard on this anti-drug film and yet some thirty years later, everyone in the theatre watching it was ripped beyond belief, laughing themselves silly.

To add insult to injury there was this huge, thick cloud of smoke hanging in front of the screen.

The hats and clothes are great. The furnishing and cars are unreal.

I still watch it every once in a while, but in a very different state of mind.

Daisy Buchanan

Mike in Seattle said:
I've only seen snippets from the original, but I did see the musical when it came out a couple years ago. The clothes weren't THAT vintage-y, unfortunately, but for a musical spoof of an old movie, it was pretty funny.
Thanks, that's good to know Mike. I think I'll have to rent it being that it's funny. I was kind of hoping to see more good clothes, but oh well, as long as it's actually funny.

There were a few films made in this vein, all to get around the Hays Code. By releasing a film meant as a 'public service' the producers were able to include scenes that would have been censored in dramas and comedies.

The other picture I saw was Cocaine Fiends ('Do you have any more of that 'headache powder'?) and there was another one about the dangers of 'free love', shall we say? Can't recall the title of that one, but I remember some fairly gruesome scenes of a dashing 30s playboy who contracts syphilis.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Daisy Buchanan

Senator Jack said:
There were a few films made in this vein, all to get around the Hays Code. By releasing a film meant as a 'public service' the producers were able to include scenes that would have been censored in dramas and comedies.

The other picture I saw was Cocaine Fiends ('Do you have any more of that 'headache powder'?) and there was another one about the dangers of 'free love', shall we say? Can't recall the title of that one, but I remember some fairly gruesome scenes of a dashing 30s playboy who contracts syphilis.

Regards,

Senator Jack
Oh My Goodness, those sound hilarious. I've gotta try to get my hands on them. Oh by the way, see you tomorrow Senator Jack:)

Starius

Practically Family
I have it on DVD, it definitely is entertaining. :)

I have the Showtime musical remake of it too, with Kristen Bell and Alan Cumming, but I haven't watched that one yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR