Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refurbishing RAF 1941 Flying Boots ?

rick howarth

New in Town
As anyone had any experience of refurbishing a pair of RAF 1941 Flying Boots. Particular problem of course is the perished rubber rand. Be grateful for any advice. I like to do my own restoration, keeps me busy now I'm retired.

robrinay

One Too Many
For what it's worth, I'm sure the knowledge is still out there and you can learn from it and develop the skills you need. My advice would be to talk to the oldest proper cobbler you can find who may know the tricks of the trade or may know someone else who can advise. Many years ago I bought a pair of Rock climbing boots -handmade by a self taught individual - a member of the Nottingham Climbing Club in Carlton, (I have no contact details now though). They were a heavily influenced by a 1980's style being made by Galibier and had the same type of wide rubber 'welt' found on the 41 pattern flying boots and I now realise were influenced by the 41 pattern (no ankle straps though). For the record I only know what you mean as coincidentally I recently bought a mint pair of 41 pattern boots in a charity shop - sadly too small for me (size 6).

rick howarth

New in Town
Thanks robrinray. I know the old Galibier boots you mention I have a pair of classic 70s high mountain doubles with the inner boot fleece lined. Never been in a position to use them . Lived for some years in the Lake district which I pine for daily. Be up there in a couple of months.

My Flying boots are not in the best condition particularly the rubber rands but I have glued the loose bits back in position and because I want to retain as much of the original as possible i.e., not replace the complete rand, I am experimenting with liquid rubber. I will get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails