Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remix Shoes!!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Miss Dottie said:
Another quick Remix update:

And thank you Rebbeca R on the slipperiness. Before I even left the house I noticed that I was sorta "gliding" over the hardwood floors, so I went right out sanded the bottems with a wire brush. Perfect! No slips since then!

I'm glad I was able to save you from tragedy! :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
It's funny how sizes differ! We are both a 10 yet your foot measures 9 5/6 and mine measures 10 1/4 which is exactly their size 11! It's not like they come any bigger anyway and insoles can make a shoe slightly smaller so I'm sure they will be ok!

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted!

My foot measures 10 1/4" too, I usually wear a size 10 1/2. I bought the size 11's from Remix and they fit fine.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
My foot measures 10 1/4" too, I usually wear a size 10 1/2. I bought the size 11's from Remix and they fit fine.

Thanks for the info! But arrrrgh it's just taken the man at Remix about 6 emails to get round to telling me the Briarcliff is out of stock!! Either that or it's sold out during our correspondence! How annoying!

I think it is my guardian angel's fault as if I buy the one sale pair a: it probably won't be enough to be stopped at customs, b: I'll get a fit on the size without having to send two pairs back if it's wrong (actually not that you can return the sale ones but never mind) and c: I was really pushing it (financially and risking my boyfriend's wrath..."MORE shoes?!") with two pairs of shoes. Fate!

maisie

Practically Family
Ohh my re-mix shoes came in the mail yesterday and i am so please with them!! In the end i got the white pleated toe ones and the green, lime and white ones both which were in the sale!!:D I love the green and white ones they are so cool! I just can't wait to wear the and as for the white one well i will have to plan when i first can wear them as in the winter it is a bit difficult to wear white (especially over here!)lol the only thing is they are slightly too wide so i'm gonna get some gel insers to fill the gaps, i sometimes have this problem with 40s shoes as well, but i'm glad i have narrow feet it makes getting pretty platforms easier!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Oh and I just got my pair of red mary janes back in a bigger size. Much more comfy!

I don't know why but I always seem to step in gum the first day I wear my ReMix shoes. I usually never do, but with new Remix shoes--always within the first 4 hours of wearing!

Rosie

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
I can relate. My recent vintage shoes were the right size but a bit narrow. There will be no stopping me from wearing them. What's having your toes feel like they are in a corset for a few hrs??lol

If your shoes are leather, you can buy some leather conditioner and stretch them while walking around the house. I do this ALL OF THE TIME, (you know, fat girl=fat feet) and it works fine.

Snookie

Practically Family
I recently took a pair of vintage wedges to a shoe repair shop to be stretched, for more toe room. $10, and money well spent, IMHO -- that money could probably have bought several bottles of leather conditioner, but then I'd have to do the breaking in myself! ;)

I'm waiting for my new Aris Allen wedges to arrive. I thought about getting Re-Mix, because my last pair served me so well, but the price was right for the Aris Allens. I sure like the bigger selection that Re-Mix has, though!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got my Remix Wedgies yesterday too! The white pleated toe ones. They are sooo comfortable, though I wore them all day yesterday (like Maisie said white over here in winter is no good and yesterday was probably about the last decent day we'll have) and they rubbed a bit at the sides. But I'm very pleased with the size. I was lucky in that I didn't have to pay anything extra for customs etc, probably because they were in the sale. I'm not sure if I would be all that happy paying full price for them, they feel quite light and the little buckle feels extremely cheap. But for the sale price they are wonderful.

I still want more though. ;)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Like I said in another post, some of the leather they are using feels cheap to me and very thin. I guess people like the shoes and will buy them regardless, but some of the styles I liked, I didn't trust that the leather would go the distance.

Rosie said:
If your shoes are leather, you can buy some leather conditioner and stretch them while walking around the house. I do this ALL OF THE TIME, (you know, fat girl=fat feet) and it works fine.

Thanks Rosie, I wore them for the first time Monday night and after walking in them for a few minutes they felt totally fine. I was relieved as I wouldn't want to damage then, nor part with them. They were hardly worn so I think they were never really broken in.

I adore my white sale wedges too but since it is the vintage thing to not wear white after Labor Day, I can't bring my self to do it. I also feel to summery walking around in white shoes with everyone's fall decorations around. ;)
I am sure I will get plenty of wear out of them next season. And I want more more, more, too!!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got my Remix Wedgies yesterday too! The white pleated toe ones. They are sooo comfortable, though I wore them all day yesterday (like Maisie said white over here in winter is no good and yesterday was probably about the last decent day we'll have) and they rubbed a bit at the sides. But I'm very pleased with the size. I was lucky in that I didn't have to pay anything extra for customs etc, probably because they were in the sale. I'm not sure if I would be all that happy paying full price for them, they feel quite light and the little buckle feels extremely cheap. But for the sale price they are wonderful.

I still want more though. ;)

I'm so glad the fit worked for you. I'm wearing the Picassos right now and I think they are my favorite pair--and the leather seems much more durable on that design than possibly the others.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Barbara said:
... some of the leather they are using feels cheap to me and very thin.

"Re-Mix" has its shoes made in Mexico, not so far from the U.S./Mexico border. The leather may be from a different part of the cow's hide than that which we're used to. The tanning process may vary, too.

Making shoes for a relatively small market is expensive. "Re-Mix" would have to charge much more for its shoes if it had them made in the United States. And Mexico is close enough to Los Angeles for "Re-Mix" to monitor the shoes' quality, and to send back any with defects. It would be much more difficult for "Re-Mix" to do this if the shoes were made in China or Brazil.

(I've known "Re-Mix"'s owners, Phil and Paul, for years.)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Re-mix makes beautiful shoes Marc, I'm not contesting that. I'm not knowledgable on leather. It may be that just because the leather appears thinner, it doesn't mean they won't last as long. I don't know, perhaps someone who has the shoes can attest to the fact they wear very well. Obviously they have a lot of happy customers out there.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mark. I would never want to run a small business down. I just wanted to know how the shoes wear with this leather. They are so darned gorgeous. I should have asked in the store, but I don't think the owners were there.

Snookie

Practically Family
I've had a pair of Re-Mix wedges for about two years, and wear them constantly for dancing. I had a couple issues with them at the beginning, but they've held up amazingly well, considering the strains I've put on them. No problems with the leather as they've gotten older. They were a little hard to break in (my shoes had really stiff leather), and my buckle came off one night! But I sewed the buckle back on, and they've been good since. Well, some of the stitching at the toe started to come out, but I trimmed it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Like I said, I beat them up!

My wishes for improvement -- better stitching and more padding (too hard to wear insoles with the open toe/open heel shoes). But the leather has been good to me.

Snookie

Practically Family
Yeah, I was there a few months ago, and I was so sad to see how few deadstock shoes are available anymore! It's nice that they're making so many versions of repros, though, and in so many color options. It would be nice if more vintage stores around the country bought the shoes for resale, and expanded the market a little more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy