Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing stains from felt

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Jabos said:
I'll try the dry sponge, then the denatured alcohol, then the lighter fluid. I bet the alcohol would work on that "green stuff" too. I have a couple of old WW2 items with those green stains-a sure sign something is original. I wonder why we don't get that green corrosion on newer items? Does it come out only after 40 years or so? I've cleaned it off parts of the leather jacket in the avitar and it keeps coming back. I guess it is the nature of the composition of the metal. I've seen it on the round metal rings used as vent holes on hats and jackets, as well as zippers, etc. The mysterious "Green Stuff".

Probably don't see it now because 'green' usually indicates copper corrosion (or brass). I will try everything else first, but wondering if applying diluted Brasso and rubbing a little might work? I would need a REALLY beat-up hat before I tried it myself.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I tried denatured alcohol and it took out the ink. It really works immediately. I started with a Qtip and it removed about 95% of the mark. It was still faintly visible. I noticed that the Qtip did not soak up the ink but merely caused it to dissipate into the surrounding felt. I then went back using a thick white sock. That soaked it up and voila! I assume rubbing alcohol would also work.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used denatured alcohol to remove pen ink marks from my vintage clear beaver hat, I would use a cloth and try to dap at the ink stain to try and absorb the ink rather than rub the stain spot which will drive the ink deeper into the felt

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
duggap said:
I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone mentioned this already, but take a look at this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43501 and scroll down to what Besdor posted about the items they use in their shop. I found it rather useful.:)

I just tried "Nature's Miracle" pet stain removal on a nasty sweat-stain. It's drying, but appears to have done a decent job. If successful, I'll post 'before and after' pics - that stuff works miracles on carpet pet stains, so perhaps rabbit fur as well.

I used alcohol to get some of the surface green corrosion stain off another hat, but I've got a situation where the green goes all the way through. Doing a forum search on 'corrosion', found a post that says the following about keeping the green from returning, but doesn't seem there's any way to 'remove' the bad copper corrosion from the felt itself - just to 'move' it by re-blocking.

ideaguy said:
use clear nail polish on the copper wire; the dreaded green will not come back.
guaranteed.

hatsandart

New in Town
Cleaning sweat stains from felt

I have been a member here for a while, and lurk on occasion. The community here is impressive in knowledge and friendliness.
Allow me to apologize, as I am still learning to navigate the FL, if this is a tired old question-
I have good collection of hats, mainly felt fedoras, most of which are 50's and 60's vintage- these get a fair amount of wear and are neatly stored and occasionally brushed and for the most part look quite "new."
I was recently given a Strattford in an army greenish color that I would term as a 'working' hat. The hat you grab when you are going to chop enough wood for an afternoon's worth of fire in the winter.
Blah Blah Blah- where's the question? Here it is-
The hat came to me with a fair amount of sweat staining, and aside from taking it to a pro for a dip and reform, I'm curious about DIY at home options.
This hat has no liner or a band to be concerned with.
I appreicate the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21