Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a 1968 pattern MA1 knits

Ian C

New in Town
Hiya all,

Having just purchased an old MA1, has anyone got any advice on having the cuffs etc replaced as I bought a new set at the same time as the jacket?

Thanks,
Ian

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hiya all,

Having just purchased an old MA1, has anyone got any advice on having the cuffs etc replaced as I bought a new set at the same time as the jacket?

Thanks,
Ian

I've never tried it, but I know several folks who have. According to them, it is a headache and is worth paying a professional to do. Over the years I've had to replace the knits on many Air Force jackets...MA-1s, L-2Bs and even one or two N jackets...but I've always followed my friends' advice. I take great care to purchase the proper replacement knits from MASH or e-bay, but I always let a pro do the installation.

But...if you still want to give it a try, here's a thread on another forum where someone just replaced the knits on his L-2A. He's a great guy. If you PM him I'm sure he'd share his thoughts.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9200

AF

kampkatz

Practically Family
I have had the same experience with cuff replacement as has Atticus. After trying it once, I found that it is well worth the price to have a seamstress do it right the first time.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My experience is that the cuffs are far and away the easiest of the knits to replace. My work has been done entirely by hand. I have not learned how to use a sewing machine, so I work with needle and thread and this means working at comparatively, a snail's pace. In the end, though, it worked fine for my purposes. I know a guy who could be considered a pro, over at the VLJ, who would be an excellent choice for you to get it done. Barring attempting it by yourself, which I wouldn't rule out! I love a challenge! PM me and I'll see what I could do.

dean

Ian C

New in Town
Hiya all,

Thanks for your help and advice. There's no way I'd attempt this myself and I've managed to secure some knits. I've also got a friend who makes shirts etc but I wanted to get as much background as possible first as I wanted to know if there were any pitfalls.
I'll let you know how I get on...
Regards,
Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff