Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Feraud

Bartender
I think there is a link on the site to discuss purchases in English.

The limited run of products doesn't look good from a consumer's point of view. I don't want to feel I have to buy this or it will be gone for good. They must be making money this way. [huh]

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Actually, I think it is brilliant. It is GREAT to know that you're not buying one of some ridiculous number of mass produced items. I would rather see limited AVAILABILITY than a limited TIME to order, but in the end, you still end up with a product that not every other collector/wearer has. There needs to be a company doing EXACTLY that with good 40's/50s rock and roll menswear etc. Speciality items made for a limited time.

Feraud

Bartender
Weren't mass produced goods what were produced in the old days?

Sears did not make "limited edition", high end, expensive workwear for the rock and roll crowd. The idea of individuality (especially within an obvious group of like minded people) is moot.
Companies made mass produced, well made, tough as nails clothes for everyone to work in.
At 200 bucks a shirt most guys are not going to change their car oil or get dirty in these shirts.

Or am I missing something?...[huh]

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Well, that tought as nails workwear got worn out! Donated, sent to the scrap bins, recycled, stored in musty basements - whatever, it now is rare, and not owned by many (part of the upshot of the thread, right?) Part of the WHOLE IDEA of vintage is individuality - that is NOT moot - and the attraction of collecting very hard to find items is part of the thrill of the hunt. So if you're going to reproduce it, I feel it is part of the attraction to make the item limited. That's part of what appeals to this group of like minded people, right? Why else would we haunt estate sales and antique stores, shop flea markets and set up saves searches on ebay. So, as a marketing technique, it is quite smart.

I own Freddies of Pinewood reproduction jeans. I only hate one thing about them. EVERYONE ELSE HAS THEM. Otherwise, they are STELLAR. But it does kinda suck to walk around at Viva Las Vegas and have just the same jeans as everyone else.

mattfink

Practically Family
There used to be Geronimo, but they only make t-shirts these days. I think the Freddies of Pinewood are pretty limited too....most at VLV seem to be shopping at Cherry's n Dice R US. Women have it easy when it comes to vintage, much much bigger selection.

pdxvintagette said:
Actually, I think it is brilliant. It is GREAT to know that you're not buying one of some ridiculous number of mass produced items. I would rather see limited AVAILABILITY than a limited TIME to order, but in the end, you still end up with a product that not every other collector/wearer has. There needs to be a company doing EXACTLY that with good 40's/50s rock and roll menswear etc. Speciality items made for a limited time.

YETI

A-List Customer
nice pair o' Japanese repros...

and for only $650 shipping included!

70726f647563742f746f79732d6d6363-2.png

70726f647563742f746f79732d6d6363-1.png

70726f647563742f746f79732d6d63636f7.png

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Well, yes, I think there is something you're missing . . .

Feraud said:
Weren't mass produced goods what were produced in the old days?

Sears did not make "limited edition", high end, expensive workwear for the rock and roll crowd. The idea of individuality (especially within an obvious group of like minded people) is moot.
Companies made mass produced, well made, tough as nails clothes for everyone to work in.
At 200 bucks a shirt most guys are not going to change their car oil or get dirty in these shirts.

Or am I missing something?...[huh]

. . . Sure, nobody who buys authentic or high end reproduction workwear is changing their oil in it. But then again, do all those people who wear cowboy boots work on ranches? Are the folks who buy $1,000 B-3's manning waist-guns in B-17's? Dare I say it - do that many of use really spend so much time outside that we need to wear hats? ;) No.

When boutique companies make high-end re-pop workwear, they pay a lot of attention to authenticity and the details. Many Japanese reproductions come close enough to be almost indistinguishable from originals. Sure they're expensive, but authentic vintage workwear cost many times more. High end reproduction's offer a relatively affordable way for folks to enjoy golden era workwear who wouldn't otherwise be able to do so. And, if they are mass produced for general consumption, they loose their mystique of "specialness."

Feraud

Bartender
Good point!
I agree that a good number of people who buy high end leather jackets, fedoras, boots, etc. do not use them as intended. My reply is aimed at the limited availability of products. The custom jacket, fedora, and boot makers tend to keep their products in production. If not in constant production they offer a custom made order. That is the key here. I want that availability. :)

All that talk about individuality, etc. is moot when in the presence of like minded collectors. lol ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Good point!
I agree that a good number of people who buy high end leather jackets, fedoras, boots, etc. do not use them as intended. My reply is aimed at the limited availability of products. The custom jacket, fedora, and boot makers tend to keep their products in production. If not in constant production they offer a custom made order. That is the key here. I want that availability. :)

All that talk about individuality, etc. is moot when in the presence of like minded collectors. lol ;)

I actually think of these sort of clothes as almost one-of-a-kind works of art. The same as original vintage clothing that if you pass on, it's possible you may never see again or a one of a kind recreation by someone like Art Fawcett. Same difference, all depending on how you look at it.

The attention to detail and specifics only offered for a short period of time and -probably- never produced again is pretty neat me thinks :) That being said, I think I have sworn off Japanese or made for Japanese markets winter wear. I have to imagine judging by their definition of "winter weight", Japan must have a tropical climate compared to NYC or they are all freezin their yas-yas-yases off! lol

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
There is a well established market for vintage American work and motorcycle wear in Japan. The Japanese make excellent repros and are prepared to pay a premium for the gear. It is only in recent years that all this cool stuff has been marketed outside of Japan.

It seems that in the West, from the point of view of potential manufacturers at least, there is not such a recognised market for such a vast range of high-value/high-cost clothing. Vendors in the UK and America don't seem to want to invest so much in materials, hardware and technique as Japan does. Japanese gear is imported and sold in the West, however.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Sounds like a market niche to me!

I'm just working on a prototype pair of brown cinch-back workpants in a similar canvas duck material to my LVC 1870s work suit. If enough people like 'em I may get a run made.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
These may not be exactly what you're looking for...

but they have buckles in the back and are available in a variety traditional materials.

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/trousers/trouser2.html

River Junction is one of many vendors and manufacturers supplying Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS) and member of the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). Googling either will yeild other vendors. The CAS time period is roughly Civil War to turn of the century (20th, that is). As the web page says, "men's pants didn't change much..." And you won't be paying Japanese prices.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Err...sorry!

I hadn't planned to sell them 'on the web' or by mail order. Sorry if I gave a misleading impression. It's a retirement project and I'm planning to do it for fun rather than money. I enjoy going around vintage and military fairs, talking to people and dealing with them face to face. If I can sell a few items of clothing to pay my expenses for doing something I would be doing anyway, that's all I want out of it.

I'm afraid I'm old-fashioned - I enjoy talking someone through a sale, shaking their hand and handling their cash much more than I enjoy packing parcels and monitoring bank statements for credit card transactions. Most of all, when I retire after 30-something years in IT I intend never to touch a computer again if I can help it.

Apologies if I misled anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy