Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoration/Orphans/Satisfaction!

Foofoogal

Banned
As a lover of anything antique or vintage I was cleaning up some bakelite forks and knives. It struck me that this is about 50% of the satisfaction I receive of collecting and selling also.
Gently using steel wool to get rid of the spots that I knew if I didn't clean soon time would set in.
I also get great satisfaction of bringing sets back together. Recently I was thrilled to find the creamer to a set of china. I had the teapot and sugar bowl. I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted the matching creamer.
Is it me or do any of you have great affection for being a rescuer of antiques or collectibles? Seems the dirtier they are the better I like them.
Just love to restore them back to usefulness.
I was thinking of the chair Brinybay had written about recently or the bicycles I have seen on here restored or countless other treasures.
Protectors of quality. If you think of it there is a window really of maybe 1920s to late 1960s of well made general stuff still around. How much of it will be lost forever?
Doing my part.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I am a sucker for the unloved/neglected whether it be an old razor, fountain pen or firearm. It saddens me to see something just neglected and I too, share the satisfaction of bringing one back.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Orphan reuniter here

Although I don't have the time or energy to restore many items, I'm an avid reuniter of orphaned china and glassware. Recently I purchased a twin for a beautiful 1920's Spode Old Billingsley Rose dinner plate someone bought me from an antique store. Before its twin arrived, it had limited use as a cookie plate. Now it's dinner for 2.

(Kudos and thank you to those of you who DO have the time and energy, by the way!)

I should add that abandoned furniture sitting forlornly on the curb makes me very sad, and I've rescued a lot of it over the years.

Minerva

Familiar Face
I think dirt is a preservative. The worse something looks like when I drag it home, the better condition it's in once all the dirt is off. lol

My best salvage to date is a 50s typing table from my mother's basement. She was going to pitch it due to rust and grime, but I dragged it home (over the husband's protests) and gave it a good scrubbing. The following week, the husband asks when I picked up the new foyer table. :eusa_doh: Sometimes I wonder about him ...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I sold my 1878 cottage up in Chautauqua Institution a few years ago, which had been in the family 98 years, I went through all the dishes in the dining room. I discovered that among the silverware there were 43 separate patterns represented, of which 19 were unique individuals, the accumulation of over a century. I also have a few cream and sugar sets with one half of the pair missing. Somewhere in dish heaven they'll all be together in the great by and by.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Just put an old Esterbrook fountain pen back in service, new J bar, sac and nib. Beautiful writer now and ready for another 50 years [I hope].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats