Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro Kitchens

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
My husband and I found this wonderful 40's stove. We would like to make our kitchen period correct. We have some appilances already. But does anyone have any pitchures of counter tops, flooring, cabinetry? Maybe even colors of that time.:D

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
40's kitchen

I posted this in Golden era area. But I know most of the girls are in here. I found this absolutely wonderful 40's stove and want to design my kitchen around it. I have some appliances and gadgits. I wanted to know what are period colors and maybe some ideas about counter tops and cabinetry. I think you girls can be creative with this. Does anyone have any pitcures? THANK YOU in advance.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I haven't collected any pics myself,but you could try to google for vintage appliance ads.They'd often show a large portion of the kitchen.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I found this calendar here:http://www.calendars.com/xq/asp/TID.{F2057AE9-1FD4-46E9-A23B-3C05C0DB8883}/qx/index.htm but it's 1950s.

Front:
200700004915_fc.jpg

Back:
200700004915.back.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi HE,

You're so lucky to be getting a vintage stove! Here's my dream kitchen--it's a modern version of vintage but maybe it will give you some ideas.

ohj5053.jpg

ohj5054flipped.jpg

ohj5056.jpg

My Dream Stove:

55__850201.jpg

GOK

One Too Many
Eeek, my Aunt Rose had wall cupboards like those when I was a child and I was convinced everything was about to fall out of them. There was one above the kitchen table and I was so frightened of being knocked out by a tin of beans, that I'd never sit at the table...I'd pull my chair as far from it as possible! lol

I have to say that as cool as that yellow kitchen is, it looks horribly cramped and cluttered. Give me my spacious (and very minimalist) modern kitchen any day! :D

GOK

One Too Many
I have a kind modern version of that cooker...

DSC00128.jpg

...does it count? lol

BTW, I had to look at the manual for it the other day and discovered that is not a cooker at all; it's a....... (are you ready for this?)

.....cooking theatre!!!!!! :eek:

Heheh!

GOK

One Too Many
Wow, what a difference between the magazine images and the real photos! I don't know if it was the same in the States but over here, after the war, when they built new homes, a lot of the time the kitchens were all fully fitted and came in with the cost (of buying the home). If I recall correctly from a programme I saw ages ago, this was to encourage the property market and give newlyweds a foot on the property ladder. I do remember the thing about the cupboards being made of metal and not wood. I can't imagine that - I wonder if the doors bowed over time or rusted?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
Hi HE,

You're so lucky to be getting a vintage stove! Here's my dream kitchen--it's a modern version of vintage but maybe it will give you some ideas.

ohj5053.jpg

ohj5054flipped.jpg

ohj5056.jpg

My Dream Stove:

55__850201.jpg

Wow! That's what I call a kitchen. I am absolutely saving those photos for my remodel, which will hopefully be early next year. Thanks for Posting!

Ccc

New in Town
Period Kitchens

I love the postings about 40's Kitchens and other decades! So I thought it would be fun to hear from everyone on why the kitchen from one decade inspires, thrills or depresses you as compared with another one.

I grew up in the late 50's, early 60's and I remember the cherry red kitchen table and vinyl chairs, along with the really awful avocado refrigerator and stove which came with my mom's kitchen remodel in the late 60's. So I look fondly on the photos of the 1940's kitchens.

If someone knows of a decorator in Michigan who does period kitchens, please let me know!

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

If you're installing real linoleum, there are a few things you should know.

First, most installers have very little experience with it. The most experienced people will be commercial installers, but they usually charge more than residential installers.

Second, installers generally dislike it because it is heavy and stiff.

Lastly, beware of welded seams. If done correctly, a notch is cut where the two pieces of linoleum come together, and a welding material is heated so that it filles in the gap. Most installers have even less experience doing welds than they do installing linoleum. Unless you're installer does welds all the time, I would have him/her just butt the two pieces up against each other.

Paul-

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I'm a tile setter. We are more interested in tile than linoleum. But I do know what you are saying.... I know some installers that were taught the correct way to do it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
there's a museum in VT. great museum by the way.
the owner collected things. Big things. Houses, lighthouses, she collected collections, merry go rounds, trains, steam ships.

Anyway- one of the houses in the collection is a house from 1950 that she bought new and had shopped to the museum.
How 'bout That kitchen?

http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/buildings_and_grounds/detail.php?id=1&flash=true

historic_1950_kitchen1.jpg

I like this quote from the website: "The 1950 House provides a striking comparison with both contemporary life and the Museum’s other historic houses"
I wonder what they would think if they visited the homes of some of our members. Not a comparison to be struck anywhere!:rolleyes:

Seriously, that's pretty neat. If I ever get out that way I'll make sure to see it.

olive bleu

One Too Many
color schemes

I was reading somewhere recently that light yellow & green were popular color schemes for this era... these pictures certainly seem to back that up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot