Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ribbon attachment?

froguy

New in Town
I just acquired a grey Borsalino "feather weight" which appears purchased in Italy at the Salvatore Balbi store in Napoli with a red Punti size 5 tag. Sorry I don't have photos.
Its in pretty good shape with a nice supple 2 in sweatband. The 1 1/8 grey ribbon is basted AT THE TOP with about 1 1/2 in stiches which are clearly visible. I've limited experience but have never seen this before and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about who or why the ribbon may have been sewn in this way. I don't know how they are shipped from the factory but wondered whether this was intended to be a temporary measure to protect the ribbon from a hat nested on top. Any thougts? Again, sorry for the lack of photos.

I was told by a German hatter that these stitches are protection and should be removed at sale time. Mayser actually still used them until very recently (might still use them). Personally I wouldn't remove them from a vintage hat (same with a modern one).

Modern Mayser "City" with similar stitching.

4330067881_fc6c58759e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Likely basting stitches to protect the ribbon and bow as the hats are stacked for transport to the store. I would second Steve's recommendation to leave it in as it is unusual to find it still in place in a vintage hat. You can see it here supporting a complex bow on an old Vanzina.

vanzina042911_2.jpg

froguy

New in Town
Thanks everyone. Pretty much as I had guessed but hadn't seen it before. Yes Art it is sewn at the bottom as well. And no, I wouldn't take them out either, even if they were meant to be temporary. They're sort of growing on me, figuratively speaking.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You will often find this form of basting stitching on the pockets and vents of tailored clothing as well. It serves to keep things tidy during shipping and while on display before purchase.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I was told by a German hatter that these stitches are protection and should be removed at sale time. Mayser actually still used them until very recently (might still use them). Personally I wouldn't remove them from a vintage hat (same with a modern one).

I've not heard this but it makes perfect sense. Thanks

froguy

New in Town
You will often find this form of basting stitching on the pockets and vents of tailored clothing as well. It serves to keep things tidy during shipping and while on display before purchase.

Yes I've seen this often but unlike the hat, I do snip 'em before wearing. Would feel a little foolish otherwise.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yes I've seen this often but unlike the hat, I do snip 'em before wearing. Would feel a little foolish otherwise.
I'm with you but there are some men who leave the jacket waist pockets sewn shut in an effort to maintain the "lines" of the jacket, something that items placed in the pockets could posibly disrupt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy