Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Ring marks" on hat...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
If this topic has been covered, please point me to the thread.

I'd like to know how and what do you guys do to protect your hats from the ring that gets "printed" on the brim from the hat box. I have a couple of vintage ones in old knox boxes and, even though I cover the crown with thin pastic wrap (shaped like a hat crown) this ring keeps coming back.
Thanks!

A more-rounded-edged "cradle" or "insert" or whatever you wanna call that part of the hat box that holds the hat in place would go some ways toward addressing the problem, I'd think.

I have yet to try it myself, but it occurs to me that something like aquarium tubing, in a length just shy of the insert's circumference and slit from end to end and then attached to the top of the insert, might do the trick. [huh]

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Foam

You can place a ring of foam around the center cardboard ring. The foam sits slightly above the edge of the cardboard top.

Mr. Fawcett ships his hats this way, maybe he can provide the source.

Still, my vintage hats stored in original boxes as you describe, the "ring" comes out with a light steam and a brush.

Not a problem.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Andykev said:
You can place a ring of foam around the center cardboard ring. The foam sits slightly above the edge of the cardboard top.

Mr. Fawcett ships his hats this way, maybe he can provide the source.

Still, my vintage hats stored in original boxes as you describe, the "ring" comes out with a light steam and a brush.

Not a problem.

Yeah, it comes right out. It's just annoying. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the inside of one of Art's boxes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats