Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly baby!?

Von Dee

New in Town
I'm a mother of two, who has a hard time, finding cool vintage clothing for kids, used or custom made, if anyone know's of any rockabilly clothes for kids, please let me know...????

:)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Von Dee, welcome to the Lounge.

Have you tried Ebay? I am not sure just what Rockabilly is(though I have seen that term used for some cowboy boots), but Ebay has all sorts of stuff, maybe some vintage stuff for kids.

karol

Trickeration

Practically Family
Hi Von Dee,
I've been there. It took a long time for me to find things for my kids. I'd see little boy's leopard trim lounge shirts, or some with flames, at the festivals now and then, but they were usually really expensive. I also saw a couple little girls things, but they were just a bit racy for me. My daughter was kind of young for them. However that was a few years ago. She has a bit more freedom now, but I still limit it a little. Here's what we did:

Prowl the thrift stores and just look for things that 'fit the look'.

For shirts, western or gingham, hawaiian prints, button up shirts work well.

Buy jeans long and cuff them. For girls, cut and cuff jeans to capris. And Dickies come in kids sizes. Do you have a friend that does tattoos or pinstriping? Maybe they could paint up some jeans for you (design from the thigh to the shin). Jeans with vintage cartoons painted on the front were really popular in the 40's and 50's. Westerm drawings were popular. You can get ideas by looking at vintage coloring books on ebay. Also, check 50's jeans on ebay. Sometimes they're too small for an adult and sell a little cheaper.

Keds and converse for shoes.

And ask at the vintage stores you go to. I did and I found that a lot of the owners bought vintage kids clothes because they were too cool to pass up, but just stuck them in a box or corner because they don't sell enought to let them take up rack space. I got great deals that way.

Both of my kids are easier now. My son is 12 now, and my daughter is 14. My son wears jeans or dickies and button up shirts. And my daughter fits in all of those cute, ultra small, vintage outfits you always see and think "who wore this!"

How old are your kids? What sizes? I can keep my eye out for you. I can also check and see if I still some of my kids stuff around.

Here's my daughter now. Future pin-up I think ;) .
misswyman5qz.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
There was a girl that worked at the Yardage Town by me that wanted to make repro clothing for the whole family. She had kids and specifically was interested in kids clothing, if I remember correctly. When I talked to her she was just getting online, but it looks like she never did. This is her site, but it says to "check back in July" http://takemebackclothing.com/

On her card it has a phone # 951.325.2235 and her email info@takemebackclothing.com

Also, here in Oceanside, CA, at a store called Dick, Jane and Spike, I remember that Valarie either made or her friend made kid's rockabilly style shirts. You might want to give her a call:

Dick Jane & Spike
(760) 439-0609
117 S Coast Hwy
Oceanside, CA 92054

Von Dee

New in Town
Thanx a bunch!

Trickeration said:
Hi Von Dee,
I've been there. It took a long time for me to find things for my kids. I'd see little boy's leopard trim lounge shirts, or some with flames, at the festivals now and then, but they were usually really expensive. I also saw a couple little girls things, but they were just a bit racy for me. My daughter was kind of young for them. However that was a few years ago. She has a bit more freedom now, but I still limit it a little. Here's what we did:

Prowl the thrift stores and just look for things that 'fit the look'.

For shirts, western or gingham, hawaiian prints, button up shirts work well.

Buy jeans long and cuff them. For girls, cut and cuff jeans to capris. And Dickies come in kids sizes. Do you have a friend that does tattoos or pinstriping? Maybe they could paint up some jeans for you (design from the thigh to the shin). Jeans with vintage cartoons painted on the front were really popular in the 40's and 50's. Westerm drawings were popular. You can get ideas by looking at vintage coloring books on ebay. Also, check 50's jeans on ebay. Sometimes they're too small for an adult and sell a little cheaper.

Keds and converse for shoes.

And ask at the vintage stores you go to. I did and I found that a lot of the owners bought vintage kids clothes because they were too cool to pass up, but just stuck them in a box or corner because they don't sell enought to let them take up rack space. I got great deals that way.

Both of my kids are easier now. My son is 12 now, and my daughter is 14. My son wears jeans or dickies and button up shirts. And my daughter fits in all of those cute, ultra small, vintage outfits you always see and think "who wore this!"

How old are your kids? What sizes? I can keep my eye out for you. I can also check and see if I still some of my kids stuff around.

Here's my daughter now. Future pin-up I think ;) .
misswyman5qz.jpg
Howdy...Hot mama. Thanx a bunch for writting!!!!!!!!!!!! & yure daughter is lovely, I must say... born to be a pin up!' I will definately take up' on yure advice, the problem I always had with kids clothing was finding the cutest coolest threads on store racks, that were extremly expensive, so I agree with you on that.....My daughter is 3, my son is 5, if yu have some threads yu want to pass on or sell, let me know!' I'm all for it!!!!!!!' & Thanx once again for the mommy tips!

Von Dee

New in Town
Lauren Henline said:
There was a girl that worked at the Yardage Town by me that wanted to make repro clothing for the whole family. She had kids and specifically was interested in kids clothing, if I remember correctly. When I talked to her she was just getting online, but it looks like she never did. This is her site, but it says to "check back in July" http://takemebackclothing.com/

On her card it has a phone # 951.325.2235 and her email info@takemebackclothing.com

Also, here in Oceanside, CA, at a store called Dick, Jane and Spike, I remember that Valarie either made or her friend made kid's rockabilly style shirts. You might want to give her a call:

Dick Jane & Spike
(760) 439-0609
117 S Coast Hwy
Oceanside, CA 92054

Very useful information.... :) thanx hot stuff!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
There's some patterns for kids and adult men together which are rockabilly lookin from simplicity. 5581 and 4287.

I bought some just for my boyfriend and just in case we have kids. I can't say that I know where to get little girl clothes, but you could alter dresses to look rockabilly, or use different fabric...

All of this being said, this wont help unless you know how to sew [huh]

Trickeration

Practically Family
Von Dee said:
Howdy...Hot mama. Thanx a bunch for writting!!!!!!!!!!!! & yure daughter is lovely, I must say... born to be a pin up!' I will definately take up' on yure advice, the problem I always had with kids clothing was finding the cutest coolest threads on store racks, that were extremly expensive, so I agree with you on that.....My daughter is 3, my son is 5, if yu have some threads yu want to pass on or sell, let me know!' I'm all for it!!!!!!!' & Thanx once again for the mommy tips!

Hi Von Dee,
My daughter sends her thanks. I do have an older blue and tan plaid western shirt size 10, blue Dickies size 10, and vintage tan boys pants with cuffs size 8. I'll be gone Sat for a gig, but I can take some pics and measurements on Sunday and post them here. I always go by by the inches rather than the size on the tag. And the Dickies may cuff up just fine. Trix

Von Dee

New in Town
Trickeration said:
Hi Von Dee,
My daughter sends her thanks. I do have an older blue and tan plaid western shirt size 10, blue Dickies size 10, and vintage tan boys pants with cuffs size 8. I'll be gone Sat for a gig, but I can take some pics and measurements on Sunday and post them here. I always go by by the inches rather than the size on the tag. And the Dickies may cuff up just fine. Trix

Hey mommy dearest, sorry for not getting back any sooner, I'am still here, let me know how that went!? I'll be checking back !!!! Much Luv V.D

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've been looking over some old threads, so please pardon me for coming into this late. But, I just wanted to thank you all for the awesome suggestions for kids clothes. I am excited to try some new things out for on my 16 month old son.
Trickeration, I especially liked your ideas--I don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes he will outgrow quickly or probably mess up anyway, :eusa_doh: so your suggestions of using some more "modern" pieces were great.

You ladies are awesome!
Jessica

swankysister

New in Town
Just noticed that Revamp (LA) is holding the following course:

Vintage Children's Pattern Modification
Choose from a selection of three children's ptterns and learn to pattern to fit your vintage child..
One day class will last 3 hours .
Sewing knowlegde recommended.

Sunday, May 14, 2006
1- 4pm
Limited to 4 people.
$125 per person.

http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats