Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubber Bowties ? But of course!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The 1880s were gaga over rubber. Goodyear rubber, that is. After all, it could be molded into any shape.

Some enterprising soul back then decided that American men needed Goodyear rubber clip-on (or rather, loop-on) bowties. What could be easier and cleaner?

Just when you thought you'd seen everything!

gy1.jpg

gy2.jpg

gy3.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Chevalier, you never fail to amaze! :eusa_clap

You say the 1880s were crazy over rubber. Can we assume there are other items like this? Have you encountered rubber cufflinks, beltbuckles, etc.?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its less about fetishy and more about....'its the latest and greatest wonder material'

Just like when plastics came out......etc...

Every time there is a new material for things....-everything- is suddenly made in it....

At this particular time, Rubber was the latest and greatest thing....It was economy, and progress....and entire empires were built on it.

An example:

200px-Teatro_amazonas.jpg

The Opera House in Manaus, Brazil. Built during the rubber boom, it's artwork was created in France and England......and opera stars came from Europe to sing.

Manaus was the 2nd city in all of Brazil to be electrified.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
YIKES! Ah, Yes, just think of the marketing possibilities. A free Bow Tie with every tire ! It might even start a new fad. Bow Ties with Stingys lol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Make sure you puts chains on it when things get snowy.lol
They almost remind me of the high gloss leather bow ties that workers used to wear.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails