Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My RMC N-1 (size 40) arrived and just want to do a quick comparison with the Freewheelers N-1 (size 38).

* The Freewheelers is a significantly heavier jacket with thicker alpaca wool. Possibly warmer.
* The RMC has much better stitching all throughout. Buttons and hardware look awesome.
* RMC collar stays up better.
* RMC because it is lighter, feels better when layering.
* RMC has better fit for me but that's due to choosing the right size in this one. I am sure the Freewheelers has an awesome fit in the right size. The Freewheelers has a slightly more tapered fit I believe.
* Alpaca feels amazing in both.
* RMC sleeves feel slightly larger but could be due to tag size difference as well.
* Freewheelers has alpaca all the way to end of the sleeve (not just to the beginning of the cuff).
I guess you bought the Khaki RM. RM being the more faithful reproduction than FW. The original Khaki (later model) does not have alpaca all the way to the end but the original Navy coloured (early model) does and in this regard RM's 2 versions faithfully copy the originals.
As for the weight, FW has a more pronounced grosgrain in addition to waterproofing it with wax. The RM will be more comfortable and drape better than the FW.

CatsCan

Practically Family
The first pattern N-1 in Khaki also still had the Alpaca down to the cuff before a newer Khaki N-1 came up that changed this to the fur ending at the storm cuffs. I have seen mint originals with this feature and it can also be seen in period photographs where sailors had rolled the sleeves up.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
like here...
US PT Boat Crewmen maintenance on machine guns cut.jpg

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first pattern N-1 in Khaki also still had the Alpaca down to the cuff before a newer Khaki N-1 came up that changed this to the fur ending at the storm cuffs. I have seen mint originals with this feature and it can also be seen in period photographs where sailors had rolled the sleeves up.
Thanks for the correction. You caught me. I was lazy without clarifying about the contract numbers and the various versions.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Congrats to your new RMC, mate! Sounds that your Freewheelers could be sized up for you? Let's see fit pics! What color did you choose?
Thanks! I would have definitely gone for the Freewheelers one size up but I didn't yet manage to find a good deal on it.
I got the RMC N-1 in Khaki and the fact that it is a more lightweight jacket makes it more comfortable for sure!

2.jpg

1.jpg

mumpy

A-List Customer
I guess you bought the Khaki RM. RM being the more faithful reproduction than FW. The original Khaki (later model) does not have alpaca all the way to the end but the original Navy coloured (early model) does and in this regard RM's 2 versions faithfully copy the originals.
As for the weight, FW has a more pronounced grosgrain in addition to waterproofing it with wax. The RM will be more comfortable and drape better than the FW.
Good info, thanks!

mumpy

A-List Customer
@CatsCan After I saw your post about the vintage A-2 deck jacket that you got recently, I started looking around and managed to snatch a 1972 Alpha Industries original in Medium. Can't wait!

CatsCan

Practically Family
Thanks for the correction. You caught me. I was lazy without clarifying about the contract numbers and the various versions.
I know of course you knew that also but just wanted to make it more clear for others. So many small details and small changes throughout the contracs. For example I only recently learned the small detail with that little leather strap attached to the zipper pull on the first khaki pattern compared to the jungle cloth one on the later.

@CatsCan After I saw your post about the vintage A-2 deck jacket that you got recently, I started looking around and managed to snatch a 1972 Alpha Industries original in Medium. Can't wait!
Hehe yes, it's like a virus. I have caught it from 4444design, you have it from me. If it continues to spread, those become as pricey as the N-1. We shall work on that.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Sleeves running on the outside bang on 25 inches and shoulder 18.75 inches.
where do they end on your arms, at your wrists? Just asking, some like them a little longer, I like them just so covering my wrist watch. Just asking, because we have the sleeve length issue over on another thread, also with a RMC Khaki. Plus I am a data gatherer lately.

mumpy

A-List Customer
where do they end on your arms, at your wrists? Just asking, some like them a little longer, I like them just so covering my wrist watch. Just asking, because we have the sleeve length issue over on another thread, also with a RMC Khaki. Plus I am a data gatherer lately.
See photo attached. I generally have the opposite problem of sleeves being too short, especially with RMC (been bitten a few times with their J100).

3.jpg

mumpy

A-List Customer
Also regarding sizing, if someone is thinking about buying a jacket like this and leans towards a t-shirt only fit, I would urge to rethink. A jacket like this is much more versatile if you can layer below it. I made this mistake a few times before with winter jackets.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Also regarding sizing, if someone is thinking about buying a jacket like this and leans towards a t-shirt only fit, I would urge to rethink. A jacket like this is much more versatile if you can layer below it. I made this mistake a few times before with winter jackets.
That's the reason why I have more than one N-1 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner