Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rudolph Valentino...

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I went and saw the silent film with Rudolph Valentino and Gloria Swanson "Beyond the Rocks" last night. I think that Valentino still has a screen presence and wonder if he could have one today. What are your opinions on that, do you think he is dated and could not rise to stardom today or do you think he was timeless? By the way the movie was really enjoyable!

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hard to tell. I do know that women were absolutely wild for him in his day. But he had a certain look and demeanor that appealed to that time's standard of masculine attractiveness. Modern women may not appreciate his particular brand of screen persona. What say you?

Mojito

One Too Many
Aesthetically, I find him very pleasing indeed :) Within the cinematic conventions of the day, I can understand why he was so popular.

Whether that could translate, I don't know. Some of what was then considered standard technique comes across as mugging now - there are some scenes in The Sheik when he widens his eyes and raises his eyebrows sky-high, and the effect is a blend of hilariously amusing and disconcertingly psychopathic.

If he could modify his technique, I think there's enough timelessness in his features that would endure beyond the veneer of 20s fashion (although I'd be personally very contented with the 20s veneer!).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Had had intensity.

rudolphvalentino7x9.jpg
rudolph%20valentino.jpg
valentino_r.jpg
ColorValentino.jpg
Rodolfo_Valentino.jpg
rudolphvalentino1.jpg
0402_valentino_1.jpg
valentino.jpg
valeboy.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think first it all depends whether he can vocally act. He died at such an early age that he didn't even make it to the sound age. There are plenty of actors now, I know, that can't act for beans but girls seem to love them anyways. I can't see Mr. Valentino being less of a present actor and only screen presence. If he could vocally act, however, his roles would have to steer towards the romantic ones, and he might get a few ladies sucked in once again.

"Beyond the Rocks" is wonderful whether anyone says it's predictable or not!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
New York World (1927): "Valentino was to the millions the romance which they never knew. He was Prince Charming and he came from the other side of the moon."
Valentino "The Love God".
I'd like to see all of Rudy's silents. :)

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Scotrace thanks so much for posting those great pics. Valentino definitely smolders.

A friend of mine believes that it was in his destiny to become that famous and that he would of been famous in any time period he was born. I think that's probably true.

It is true a lot of silent film stars had to tone it down for the talkies because they had to be so animated in the silents. In "Beyond the Rocks" Valentino did have that raised eyebrow thing but it seemed that it was used for comedic relief. I don't know if that was intended but that is how the audience perceived it. It was fun!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Since for some strange reason women like the pretty-boy look today, [huh] I'd have to say he'd be a big hit today. All the big actors today are pretty boys so Valentino would fit right in.:eek:

GOK

One Too Many
I've never seen any of his films, so I am going purely on aesthetics when I say he does absolutely nothing for me at all. To me, he looks smarmy. [huh]

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reminds me of a question I've had for a while. Was Valentino the first big movie star to pass away? If so, that would add to his "legend" status.

In the past, I didn't have the patience to watch silent films, especially feature-length ones, but I ought to check out some of his movies now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot