Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUGBY UNION!!

Claireg

One of the Regulars
I spotted a book the other day in my local bookshop, a fictional account of the 1924 tour of (i think) Ireland, by a fictional rugby player.
Will find out the name of the book and post here.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Claireg said:
I spotted a book the other day in my local bookshop, a fictional account of the 1924 tour of (i think) Ireland, by a fictional rugby player.
Will find out the name of the book and post here.

Claire, is that the new novel by Ivan Dunn, "The Legend of Beau Baxter"?

If it's the same book, I heard about it just the other day and have been meaning to pick it up when I'm next in town.

Here's the synopsis from Harper Collins, sounds like a hoot...

"What might have happened on the 1924 tour is hilarious, shocking and not for the ladies

A rollicking leg-pull that plays fast and loose with rugby lore, in the style of an alternative (and much funnier) history of one of our most famous touring rugby teams - the 1924 Invincibles - practically saints in Kiwi rugby mythology.

Beau Baxter is a loveable rogue who may (or may not) have played as part of the Invincibles. A physically handsome, strapping specimen of manhood, who is also part Red Indian, Beau is inveigled into the Maori All Blacks by a conniving coach who sees Beau′s raw potential.

Our hero is soon caught up in a bawdy farce of subterfuge and naughtiness - mainly involving the pert young wife of the President of the NZRFU. From there he progresses to the role of contender for the Invincibles, and much borax is poked at conventional history and post-Edwardian sensibilities, not to mention Spank-me Sally.

This very funny story is about the famous 1924 tour as it might have been, if there was more sex and less etiquette than the rugby historians would have us believe. What happens on tour stays on tour . . . but then there is Beau Baxter, cad, bounder and possibly All Black. Funny, earthy, direct and unforgettable.

Ivan Dunn, a journalist with over 44 years′ experience internationally, lives on the North Shore, Auckland. A passionate rugby fan, he has had a great deal of fun imagining what might have happened if there had been a mysterious extra man on tour with the Invincibles in 1924."

9781869508234.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
Loose head prop and break for my college team and several years of club. Played with a bunch of transplanted kiwis and aussies and even a pair of eagles. Great game, great camaradarie and songs to make a lad blush;)

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Thats the one!

Yes Smithy.. thats it!
Doesnt it look great.
Im going to get it for my son, try to get a bit of vintage enthusiasm out of him by mixing it with his beloved rugby!
Ha ha.. just read the synopsis... maaaayyyybe not a good idea for a 14 yr old...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Claireg said:
Yes Smithy.. thats it!
Doesnt it look great.
Im going to get it for my son, try to get a bit of vintage enthusiasm out of him by mixing it with his beloved rugby!
Ha ha.. just read the synopsis... maaaayyyybe not a good idea for a 14 yr old...

Yeah maybe leave it a year or two, or even longer ;)

It's released here on the 1st September and I ordered a copy when I was in town today. Looking forward to it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Marcus, we did do rather well. The last 3 minutes against the Boks was incredible. I thought it was done and dusted but quite amazing.

But Claire is right, hopefully we haven't peaked too early. At the end of the day, the big one is next year.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just a heads up for the other rugger fans here.

I have been reading my recently received copy of "The Legend of Beau Baxter" (see my post above) and have to say it is splendid, highly enjoyable and bloody funny. It is a little like Flashman in a rugby setting. I really am loving it and it is laugh out loud funny.

Those interested can read the first few pages here:

http://browseinside.harpercollins.com.au/index.aspx?isbn13=9781869508234

And a special note to Paddy, I know you for one will absolutely love this book mate ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Can't wait for this Saturday - the start of the Bledisloe Cup and the Rugby Championship with the opening game between the All Blacks and the Wallabies. And then the Pumas and the Boks on Sunday!

It's wonderful that the Argies have been included in the competition and it'll do their rugby no end of good.

Any other rugby fans champing at the bit for this weekend to roll on?

Oh, and go the ABs ;)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I am not really a sporty person, but I do follow the main Rugby teams here in the UK and of course the national teams when playing in the 6 nations or agaisnt, S.A, OZ & N.Z. At school I was forced to do games/PT and although we mainly played football, we did try rugby a couple or times which even I found far more enjoyable, especially when the boys could play against the masters, it was the only time we could "accidently" cause them pain and get away with it, although they generally got their own back later. I remember getting tackled hard by the geography teacher who was Welsh and therefore was rather good at the game and tackling.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I Understand from a friend who lives on the other side of the world near Invercargill New Zealand, that the All Blacks did rather well this weekend. (My friend is a rather large New Zealander, so I guess he may just be rather supportive of the ABs, I do have one of their Canterbury long sleeve ABs Jerseys in fact from a visit to New Zealand some years ago. :D )

Last edited:

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I enjoy both codes of Rugby (Union and League) and attend as many matches as possible, in my opinion both games offer the finest spectating available, it's probably more difficult to see any Rugby league on the other side of the pond but try and watch a 1963 film "This Sporting Life" starring Richard Harris, directed by Lindsay Anderson for a gritty insight into the Northern game (things have changed since then!).

D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I Understand from a friend who lives on the other side of the world near Invercargill New Zealand, that the All Blacks did rather well this weekend. (My friend is a rather large New Zealander, so I guess he may just be rather supportive of the ABs, I do have one of their Canterbury long sleeve ABs Jerseys in fact from a visit to New Zealand some years ago. :D )

Stevie, I am one very, very happy Kiwi following the last two weekends of rugby ;)

Actually those original Canterbury AB jerseys are becoming more and more sort after now.

And hi Davy, good to see another rugby fan here. I'll admit I don't watch much league - union is my big thing - only the very odd game when the Warriors are playing.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Smithy,
My local RL side had a couple of Junior Warriors (Aaron Lester and David Fatialofa) come over around 14 years ago and excellent they were too! both retired from the game about 4 years ago married local girls and have settled here.

D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Smithy,
My local RL side had a couple of Junior Warriors (Aaron Lester and David Fatialofa) come over around 14 years ago and excellent they were too! both retired from the game about 4 years ago married local girls and have settled here.

D

David, you know more about league than me but is David a relative of Peter "Fats" Fatialofa, who played rugby for Auckland and Samoa? Surely he must be in some way?

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Smithy,
I guess there must be a connection, David (also "Fats") must be mid to late thirties now, and during playing days was a mobile, straight running prop who genarally burst tackles and had a surprising turn of speed, he could play a full game without apparently tiring, he also represented Samoa.

D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy,
I guess there must be a connection, David (also "Fats") must be mid to late thirties now, and during playing days was a mobile, straight running prop who genarally burst tackles and had a surprising turn of speed, he could play a full game without apparently tiring, he also represented Samoa.

D

They must be related in some way shape or form. Peter was a prop as well and part of the Auckland side that ruled the Ranfurly Shield from the mid 80s to the early 90s. Damn good player in his day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21