Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Same old story, new hat for a new guy :)

Karyl

New in Town
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm also new to the Fedora Lounge. My name is Adrian, 20 years young and from Germany. Maybe I'm even too young to wear fedoras, but I like them too much ;)
I don't really like most of the german hats, well you know.. we Germans aren't really into hats.. just look at those spiked helmets.. nah just kidding ;)
In fact we Germans got some nice hats, like the Homburg for example. Hm, I even live near Bad Homburg, now that I mention it.
Well whatever, I talk too much and my english ain't too good, so I just start my questions already:

I got already one Fedora and a few Trilbies. Mostly from Germany and Italy.
Now I'm searching for another one.. in fact even two.
I'm interested in a fedora style hat, but it should be broad-brimmed. I'd prefer a nice furfelt.
How to explain the shape. The hatband should be shiny and the colour shouldn't be black or white. I'd prefer something brighter - lightblue, cream, lightgrey etc. I love Johnny Depp's hats, for example, he's the first celebrity who comes into my mind, if I think about fancy hats besides Bogart :p
I especially love this hat of Depp: http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/192720/johnny-depp-guys-hat.jpg (I'd instantly buy a copy of it :p)
I want to pay around 200-250 bucks(incl. shipping). Dollars, not Euros.

And no, I'm not too lazy to search for myself. I'm searching and I'm using all the good links on this forums, just want to get some hints :)

And for the other hat I'm searching:
I'm searching for a slouch hat, as the Australian Military Forces are wearing.
But it shouldn't be leather, it should also be furfelt or woolfelt.
And it shouldn't be exactly the one, the Australian Military Forces are wearing ;) - found tons of them already. I just like the broad headband and the style. But I'd prefer if you could fix the left side on the brim with a button on the hat or something, nothing permanent. Hope you understand what I mean.
A bit like that:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms3/slouch-brit1.jpg

I hope this isn't too much to begin posting on this forums with.
Thanks in advance and once again sorry for my bad english ;)

- Karyl

PS: oh and since it's 3 AM in germany, i wish you all a good night.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge, Karyl! I'm new myself, (and probably not the best advice-giver, but here goes, anyways). E-bay is an amazing resource, hands down. There are new items everyday, and an infinite variety to choose from. But if you have that large of an initial budget, you might consider a cheaper one (or two) at first, then eventually look into a custom made one from Art Fawcett, Vintage Silhouettes. Get an idea of the exact style, then have him recreate it. They run about $305, from what I hear. I have actually e-mailed Mr. Fawcett about ordering my first one from him, and hope to in due course. I'm sure somebody else can give more thorough advice for you, besides me. Welcome, in any case. Good luck!

P.S.- Referring to a fedora, not the slouch hat.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge Karyl! You're in good company here.

I second what fluteplayer07 said about EBay and Art Fawcett. Ebay is an amazing resource, and I know more than a handful of Loungers have been able to occasionally pick up some great vintage hats for unbeatable prices.

I have a fedora from Art Fawcett (a VS featherweight in natural felt) and it is one of my favorites. I highly recommend one if the cost of a VS fits your budget. Art is extremely talented and capable of making a hat that fits virtually any criteria you may have (except "pimp" hats from what I hear ;) )

You may want to do a search for Akubra. This seems to be the "go to" brand for modern hats at unbeatable prices. Depending on your criteria and requirements, you may be able to find an Akubra of pretty decent quality without shelling out a bunch of money.

They can be found here, as well as a few other sites:
www.hatsdirect.com

I have the Stylemaster, and it is a great hat for the money.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge Karyl. It's great to have you here with us. And, by the way, your English is really great. ;)

Karyl

New in Town
Thank you guys, for your replies. And thanks, zetwal :)
I'm everyday at ebay hunting and yes, there are pretty nice hats, especially vintage. But most of the time they're too big in size. My hat size is 57 (7 1/8) and i don't know a German hatter (hutmacher :)) yet. My parents told me that the only good hatter in Marburg has already retired.
and pretty often nice ebay items are so far away and won't get shipped to Germany. But i continue searching :)

And the fedora I'm searching for is a gift from my girlfriend, that's why it should be something special. Well okay, every fedora is special in its way, but you know what I mean :)

Oh, another question: If I might find a nice vintage hat on ebay. Would it be possible if one of you guys could reblock it for me? I saw some really good works here and would, of course, pay for it.
I'd love the fact that, for example, it would be manufactured in Italy, reblocked in the USA and worn in Germany :) Would, for sure, make it special.

and last question: If they're some other Germans on this forums, I'd love to know and be able to contact them. And no, not because we Germans only wanna talk with Germans ;) It's just that they might know some good places in Germany for hats, since Germany isn't that big.

thank you, karyl.

Karyl

New in Town
I have another question:

What about the sizing of Akubras?

My hat size is 55,8 cm, my current german fedora is 57. It fits pretty good (with a bit cork), but not perfectly. Should I go for 56 and risk it being a bit tight or should I stay with 57?

Oh and btw: I'm interested in an Akubra Squatter in Moonstone.

Best regards,
Adrian.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Akubra uses a nice soft leather in their hat band. It conforms very nicely and with a little time will become YOUR hat. IMO go larger they supply a foam strip you can use to pad it while waiting for a good rain to stand in. Akubras love rain, they just get softer.
Tom D.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I am not familiar with Akubra sizes. Generally, I have found that factory hats tend to be a hair larger than their stated size, as if anticipating some shrinkage as the leather sweat band dries out. So, I would stick with 56 cm if I were you for factory hats. Best bet is to visit a genuine hatter and have them measure your head with a Formillion and build you a hat to match your head.

Before the world discovered fingerprints, the French discovered that every person's head shape was unique, and they developed the Formillion to identify repeat criminals, and hatters developed the Conformateur to enable them to use that technology to build a hat to fit your unique head shape. Custom hatters still use these ancient tools, AND WE LOVE THEM FOR IT!!

cptjeff

Practically Family
I would go to a 56 (size 7). Also, there are a lot of smaller sizes on the US ebay, you might try looking at that and asking sellers if they'll ship internationally, most of the time they will if you're willing to pay for it (from what I hear from others on various forums anyway).

And no, you're not too young. I say this as a 20 year old myself. It's up to us to teach the previous generation to dress.

NJIndy

New in Town
Welcome! Ebay is a great source but don't forget about the classifieds here...
Support your fellow loungers....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav