Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitizing Caps ?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If you have a ball cap that you like and want to keep, regardless of others' opinions of them :rolleyes:, a good way of cleaning them is to dissolve a little Oxiclean in a pot of cool water, and submerge the cap in it.

I leave it in there for about 5 minutes, and then shake around some in the solution. If there is stubborn stain on the forehead portion of the sweatband, I use a soft bottle brush on it while it's in the Oxiclean solution. Then dump it, fill it up with clean water, swish the cap around in it, and then dump the water again, and repeat.

Shake the cap out and hang it up to dry. If the cap is adjustable, I put it over the top of a hanger and put the hanger over my shower curtain rod. With the window open it dries in about a day. This is also a good time to shape the bill.

Oxiclean will not damage the colors on the hat, or most clothing, for that matter.

Although Febreeze and the like may sanitize a hat, it will not remove stains, and besides, I don't want that stuff on my head. I prefer my Oxiclean method.

PinkFloydEffect

New in Town
Oxiclean is an oxidizer so I can see how this would help clean the hat, I do have a dedicated new toothbrush for hat cleaning. I have had hats I have had to throw away though, if you work outdoors enough and you sweat the salt just creeps into the hat and into the visor and its done at that point. Even a wash doesn't seem to fully remove that sometimes. I have had problems washing hats in the shower then wearing the hat until it dried, it still wrinkled up on the logo side so the hat rack is kind of necessary.

Freezer sounds interesting, long as your not freezing sweat or moisture. Sounds nice in the summertime lol....the opposite as a warm shirt from the dryer up north. Wish I had a freezer just to store hats, now thats a crazy idea for a millionaire.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Oxiclean is an oxidizer so I can see how this would help clean the hat, I do have a dedicated new toothbrush for hat cleaning. I have had hats I have had to throw away though, if you work outdoors enough and you sweat the salt just creeps into the hat and into the visor and its done at that point. Even a wash doesn't seem to fully remove that sometimes. I have had problems washing hats in the shower then wearing the hat until it dried, it still wrinkled up on the logo side so the hat rack is kind of necessary.

Freezer sounds interesting, long as your not freezing sweat or moisture. Sounds nice in the summertime lol....the opposite as a warm shirt from the dryer up north. Wish I had a freezer just to store hats, now thats a crazy idea for a millionaire.
That's an old fool proof anti mothing method

Hat in a zip lock bag in the freezer over night

I had one of these caps yrs ago. The "adornments" are made from pantyhose. They got dirty real quick from my buddies wanting to squeeze them all the time. There was no good way to clean the "adornments" because of the cotton stuffing, & finally my big male dog I had at the time chewed the "adornments" off so I had to throw it away. Been looking for one ever since!

il_570xN.418390110_elwh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner