Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School and college sports

That said, while my school allowed seniors "in good standing" (had to have a certain grade point average and not be on any discipline reports and maybe some other stuff) to opt out of gym class - that was far from a universal standard. Each school or school district has its own policy.

We were only required two years of "physical education" credit, and most took those their first two years. It was rare for a junior or senior to be in a P.E. (gym) class. However, if you played varsity sports, you were required to take it each year you competed, and it was basically practice time, so you took P.E. either your first class of the day or your last. For me playing baseball, I had P.E. the last class of the day in the spring and was required to run cross country in the fall semester, so we ran before school started through first period.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
In the US, the senior year is the last year of high school (and the last year of college - same name for both). One is usually about 17 / 18 in their senior year of high school.

That said, while my school allowed seniors "in good standing" (had to have a certain grade point average and not be on any discipline reports and maybe some other stuff) to opt out of gym class - that was far from a universal standard. Each school or school district has its own policy.
Yes, that's what I thought. When I was at school (a boys' boarding school in England and so there were different names for most things), the sixth form was the name for the last two years when we were 16-18: lower sixth and upper sixth.
We didn't have gym classes in the timetable after our 'remove year' (around 14-15 years old). We did however have competitive sports of various kinds all the way through. Sport was known as 'eccer' (short for exercise). Best
Being in the sixth form conferred various privileges and, technically it was not difficult to avoid 'doing eccer'. However I played Rugby for a House team and so my House teams and so my Housemaster told me I had to continue rather than 'sit around being lazy'!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In my town, there was such a thing as "Junior-Senior Privilege." This meant you could decline to take gym class, an option upon which I leaped with great enthusiasm. You could also stack your study halls in such a way that you could arrive late or leave early if you so desired. I took advantage of this arrangement to work a full-time job my last year in school.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
We were only required two years of "physical education" credit, and most took those their first two years. It was rare for a junior or senior to be in a P.E. (gym) class. However, if you played varsity sports, you were required to take it each year you competed, and it was basically practice time, so you took P.E. either your first class of the day or your last. For me playing baseball, I had P.E. the last class of the day in the spring and was required to run cross country in the fall semester, so we ran before school started through first period.
Cross country in the Fall: I remember it well!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As slow as us baseball players were, we typically only got about 5 miles in each day. What I wouldn't give today to still be running 5 miles before breakfast every morning.
Actually I also enjoyed it very much - especially after the event. I loved the Fall colours and the sense of self-motivation. It was a great way to start the day - although I didn't always welcome the early rise.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
In high school, "seniors" are those in the 12th grade, their last year of compulsory school.

In college or university, it's basically the same, only classification is typically based on the number of credits one has earned. So one could have enough credits to be classified as a "senior", but not be on track to graduate at the end of that school year, requiring additional years.
Presumably those additional years are defined as senior as well.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
12th grade was considered my “senior” year in public school.

But my pals and I still maintained a “freshman” attitude.

Spent many times in the principal's office and a trip to
the boiler room for a spanking with a wood paddle. :(

Not too keen on class reunions.
The thought that all my teachers and most of my pals are gone
is something I don’t look forward to at these gatherings.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
12th grade was considered my “senior” year in public school.

But my pals and I still maintained a “freshman” attitude.

Spent many times in the principal's office and a trip to
the boiler room for a spanking with a wood paddle. :(

Not too keen on class reunions.
The thought that all my teachers are gone is
something I don’t look forward to at these gatherings.

At my boarding school there was still corporal punishment in some houses but not mine. In the sixth form I had very good teaching and the masters were, in general, friendly and well-disposed. Any misbehaviour was on a light-hearted and humorous level.

I skipped my junior year in high school as I had taken several high school courses in 8th grade and had enough to graduate with only three years of actual high school, but I'm pretty sure the juniors in my high school had to take PE. But that was in the early '80s in one town in NJ - one town over could have been different.

Like Lizzie, opting out of gym was heaven for me as I found it to be nothing but low grade torture or borden or both. And I was an active kid and played sports - but gym class was a weird combination of athletic "stuff -" drills, odd sports, routine exercise - all run by bossy to nasty people (with an exception here or there).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There was specialized classes in my public school system.
One could select “basic” English & math courses.

These were easier for me, (I hated math)
But soon realized that these “courses” were not sufficient or credited
if you were to proceed to college.
But right after high school, the Vietnam conflict took care of that.
But that’s a horse of a different color for another topic.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I skipped my junior year in high school as I had taken several high school courses in 8th grade and had enough to graduate with only three years of actual high school, but I'm pretty sure the juniors in my high school had to take PE. But that was in the early '80s in one town in NJ - one town over could have been different.

Like Lizzie, opting out of gym was heaven for me as I found it to be nothing but low grade torture or borden or both. And I was an active kid and played sports - but gym class was a weird combination of athletic "stuff -" drills, odd sports, routine exercise - all run by bossy to nasty people (with an exception here or there).
Which sports did you play!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As a skinny 6’3” kid in school, I was not too keen in contact sports.

It was in the military where I took up tennis because of the sergeant’s
daughter I saw on the base tennis courts.

Being skinny and shy, I never got to first base with her.

But I did developed a taste for tennis which has helped me to still
be very active in my senior years.

I enjoy running, and cycling today as well.

Edit:
Just found out that Sharapova will be available to scream on the
grounds of Wimbledon next year. :(

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
There was specialized classes in my public school system.
One could select “basic” English & math courses.

These were easier for me, (I hated math)
But soon realized that these “courses” were not sufficient or credited
if you were to proceed to college.
But right after high school, the Vietnam conflict took care of that.
But that’s a horse of a different color for another topic.
There has been a massive expansion of university education at the expense of technical skills and practical abilities. Although I benefited from university/college there are other equally important things in life. The

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As a skinny 6’3” kid in school, I was not too keen in contact sports.

It was in the military where I took up tennis because of the sergeant’s
daughter I saw on the base tennis courts.

Being skinny and shy, I never got to first base with her.

But I did developed a taste for tennis which has helped me to still
be very active in my senior years.

I enjoy running, and cycling today as well.
Which branch of the military were you in? Your commitment to physical fitness is admirable.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Baseball (which is as crazy to you as cricket seems to me) and track.
Cricket is a bit crazy. It wasn't my favourite sport (although I liked wearing cricket sweaters and still do occasionally). I was able to opt out of it in the sixth form but played occasionally if they needed an extra man.
My sports were Rugger and cross country running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran