Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School bags

SayCici

Practically Family
I did my best to search for something related on the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm going back to college soon and it occurred to me I'll need a bag to lug my books around in! I'd love to see pictures of high school or college girls at school if you have any. I need to get some inspiration, I don't want to go the tote bag route!

Thanks! I'm awful at hunting down things like this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most kids carried their books in leather or leatherette "school satchels," which looked very much like a small briefcase. They were very inexpensive then, but no more...

It was also common to use an old leather belt as a bookstrap -- stack the books, wrap the belt around them, buckle it as tight as possible, and use the long end of the belt to sling the books over your shoulder. This was also good for strapping your books to the rack on your bike.

(I carried my books in a pillowcase -- nobody used backpacks then.)

Inky

One Too Many
i'm personally not quite golden era (haha) but i used satchel very much like what Lizzy linked to from 1965 to about 1974. Then I started High school i don't recall taking many books home ;0)

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
I did a little blog post about my desire for a satchel before christmas and low and behold look at what arrived!
red_satchel_web.jpg

I got it from the cambridge satchel company. They are really well made and I cant tell you how many people have ogled over it!!

Argggggghh! I just realised you probably want a leather-free option Saycici??

Foofoogal

Banned
One point to remember is many colleges and college books are now downloaded. You cannot return them for a refund but heck of a lot less pain on your back.

I so remember my first red plaid satchel in first grade. I can almost still smell its newness.
I was so excited and so stunned to see all the crying kids. I was on an adventure. lol

JennyLou

Practically Family
For the past year I have been using my repro WWII musette bag to carry books to school but after seeing the satchels posted here, I really want one. They look great, sturdy and cute. I'll have to add it to my "things to buy when I get rich" list.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If leather doesn't work for you, satchels were also made in fabric -- as Foofoo mentions, there were plaid canvas ones that were quite popular.

It's also fairly easy to make a bookstrap out of canvas webbing and scrap vinyl --there's a commercially made version that uses leather parts, but these could easily be subbed out with synthetics if you made your own.

For added vintage points, be sure to cover your books in wrappers made from old brown paper grocery bags.

Foofoogal

Banned
For added vintage points, be sure to cover your books in wrappers made from old brown paper grocery bags.

SayCici

Practically Family
Thanks everyone!

bettydarling, you're so sweet! I was hoping to find a vintage one on etsy or ebay somewhere because the old-sourced leather wouldn't be an issue then. :) I think I'll have to keep an eye open locally though, I haven't seen anything I like yet!

Quixoticlio

New in Town
bettydarling said:
I did a little blog post about my desire for a satchel before christmas and low and behold look at what arrived!
red_satchel_web.jpg

I got it from the cambridge satchel company. They are really well made and I cant tell you how many people have ogled over it!!

Argggggghh! I just realised you probably want a leather-free option Saycici??

I'm getting one of these for my birthday and I can't wait for it to arrive! So good to here they're well made. I'm getting the red 14" satchel with my initials in silver. I'm just hoping it won't be too big, I'm quite short and I don't want it to swamp me

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Brilliant! I'm sure you'll love it. I've got the same one you've ordered. You can adjust the strap so its not too long. The only little nigglely thing is that because they are brand new the leather is still quite stiff, but nothing frequent use wont fix! Enjoy and Happy Birthday :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner