Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 641XX

How come Japan get all the best stuff? I mean, look at this, best damn CR I've ever seen:

This is what a CR should look like! And they're really cheap!
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/rhino/item/1401059/
Well, relatively cheap... Still cheaper than their US counterparts!

I'm fairly certain I'm gonna go with this jacket but before I pull the trigger... Okay, so I've heard of something being referred to as 'the Japanese fit', so what's that all about? Does anyone have any experience with these jackets?

And how does buying from Rakuten works? Any additional charges I should be aware of?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm fairly certain I'm gonna go with this jacket but before I pull the trigger... Okay, so I've heard of something being referred to as 'the Japanese fit', so what's that all about? Does anyone have any experience with these jackets?

And how does buying from Rakuten works? Any additional charges I should be aware of?

I suspect the "Japanese" fit refers to a more slender fit -- the sleeves might also be shorter. Check the measurements of your desired jacket from a few different retailers (the measurements can vary from retailer to retailer).

I have purchased many items through Rakuten. Every transaction has been very smooth. Given the favorable conversion rate these days, prices can be lower than US and European retailers. You will likely pay a shipping charge, but it is not excessive (yesterday, I was charged 23.50 to ship a jacket from Japan) -- ironically, some US retailers charge more for domestic shipping. Most Rakuten retailers ship through Japan Post / EMS. It is usually very quick (sometimes 3 days -- sometimes a tad longer). No customs!!!

Like any other e-commerce transaction, you must select a reliable retailer. I have never had a problem, but I have heard of unscrupulous outfits listing on Rakuten.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The japanese fit is a tight squeeze unless you are quite slender. I've come across some gorgeous jackets and the size XL is about a 42...Schott does some beautiful stuff for the Japanese market. And I've never understood why they don't do it for the U.S. market. Very frustrating...

Edward

Bartender
Japanese guys tend to be a different bodytype to us in the West.... slighter (average there is 38" chest, as oppsed to 42-44), and they don't seem, as a rule, to have the same middle aged spread thing.... (either that or they don't wear these jackets beyond their mid twenties).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've ordered about five times from three or four different stores (I recall Vintage Paradise being the one I bought from most). All have been smooth transactions, the only thing being that about half of them required me going to the post office to pick it up (there were notes on my door, but honestly, it could have simply been because I wasn't home!) I don't recall any charges at the post office, but they couldn't have been much, because I don't remember. They might ask for your ID at the office though to verify the recipient.
Shipping from Japan to California was about three or four business days. Really quick!

The seller (I ordered from those big chain stores (Vintage Paradise, etc) and they emailed an EMS tracking number, which works, but is a little tricky to figure out. I figured it out by searching Yahoo Answers on google.

Also, and you're probably aware of this, but if it's a jacket that is sold from different sellers, check the measurements of the jacket from the other stores as well. I just average them out or discard the measurements from one seller if they're unlike the others. I bought about fifteen Sun Surf Hawaiian shirts on clearance (about 1/3-1/2 the price of a new Tommy Bahama and they're FAR better) :)

Last edited:
Super and Nick, thank you fellas for the info! Good to know it's just business as usual as the mere sight of kanji throws me into 'I can't do this' sort of panic. I'm still struggling around the site, trying to figure out which store ships internationally but yeah, it all seems pretty straightforward, really. And yes, you're right Superfluous, from those charts on the site, seems that shipping charges are even lower than European domestic shipping! Just sent one seller a mail to make sure of a few things.

Damo, it's steer.

Bunyip, I hear you. Saddest thing is, this design isn't something they've made up for Japan, it's actually Schott's early(er) CR design, one they've been making for the US market for years. I think they've dropped the style in the 90's and replaced it with the 141/641 design, while occasionally still using the patterns for their high-end jackets like the CAF1. Which cost too much.

Ramonesome

New in Town
I've kept an eye out for one of these in my size and recently took a chance on an Ebay auction. Didn't work out, the shoulders were way too wide for what I expected. Labelled 38 but more like a 40/42. But it was different enough from the version above that I wonder if anyone has more info on the different runs? Mine had the Perfecto label, brass hardware, one neck snap option and no zipper placard. I prefer it to the currently available version but if the sizing is that screwy I might give up the hunt.
IMG_3751_zpsvyfvlbfj.jpg
Appreciate any insight into the differences or sizing of these. Thanks!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here, a while back i messaged Gail to get the measurements of the 641xx! She had quit working for Schott but still answered my question and sent me the measurements:

641XX%20Specs_zpsjkaugtak.jpg

It's so nice!! But, I honestly don't know... Isn't this jacket made with the Japanese Fit in mind?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've kept an eye out for one of these in my size and recently took a chance on an Ebay auction. Didn't work out, the shoulders were way too wide for what I expected. Labelled 38 but more like a 40/42. But it was different enough from the version above that I wonder if anyone has more info on the different runs? Mine had the Perfecto label, brass hardware, one neck snap option and no zipper placard. I prefer it to the currently available version but if the sizing is that screwy I might give up the hunt.
IMG_3751_zpsvyfvlbfj.jpg
Appreciate any insight into the differences or sizing of these. Thanks!

I suppose the 641 whether Japanese or US edition comes in bigger than expected.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/schott-641xx-review.82172/
Having said that chest-wise the US seems two sizes bigger whilst the Japanese is one size up.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seabees/item/10018733/

Last edited:

Ramonesome

New in Town
Thank you for the info guys, I'm starting to assume the brass hardware version of this jacket might be an older run and could be sized differently. The shoulder to shoulder on my 38 is 18.25 for example, which puts it out of whack with the silver zipper version size chart above. EDIT: just saw the second "classic" 141/641 chart, that is definitely more in line with this jackets sizing. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know why these American companies, Schott, Vanson, langlitz offer so much more in their range to the Japanese market! I like freaky cool stuff too!! Schott had a dark navy blue 618 for the Japanese market I was drooling over!!! Couldn't get it made here under any circumstance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I got one of these through Rakuten, a very easy process - paid the money , got the size 44 jacket a few days later. Cheap too. About $650 from memory for one of the best cafe racers I've seen.

Problem is it is 3oz leather and too thick for me to wear most of the time. I think I may sell it.

Fit wise - those measurements posted above are not correct for my jacket. Some are out by half an inch and are generally smaller.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav