Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scott Racer mysterious internal pocket.

WhatWouldHSTDo

New in Town
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new here and although I've been lurking for a long time and, given how knowledgeable you guys seem to be about everything leather, I've made an account just to ask this specific question. I bought a Schott Classic Racer recently and it has this weird looking internal pocket on the bottom left (the perforated one) you can see it in this picture:
zUfTy09.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what it's for. I have another Schott jacket and it has a similar pocket (without the snap-on fastener). I emailed Schott about it and they said it was "just an additional pocket for storing your phone or wallet". Obviously it isn't just that as it looks like it has a specific function. I wonder if anyone knows what its specific use/historical function is.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
I emailed Schott about it and they said it was "just an additional pocket for storing your phone or wallet". Obviously it isn't just that as it looks like it has a specific function. I wonder if anyone knows what its specific use/historical function is.
Schott said it's for a phone or wallet. What's not to trust? ;)

Edward

Bartender
Possibly for a pager. What age is the jacket? They may also be ventiallation holes to stop an electrical item overheating in there.

garzo

One of the Regulars
It may be an extremely cool jacket, but these Schott models are made strictly for the "overseas" market and are made by Schott USA's European partners "overseas" -- where exactly I don't know. Not that they are not as good as the standard U.S. Schott models, but even the folks at Schott USA are at a loss for words explaining the details of the "LC" jackets. I own a few standard Schott jackets (Made in the USA), but whether they are actually better or not I cannot say. I think these new jackets are made with a very modern design, pockets, etc., which you will not find on original USA-made models.

Edward

Bartender
If this was made during recent years (after 1997 or so) in / for Europe, it might make it more likely to have been a mobile phone pocket, as the market for those took off much earlier and faster over here, best as I can make out.

Another possible use: if this jacket was designed speicfically for use on a bike rather than fashionwear, it could be for an intercom. My day got one at a time. Two-way microphone and radio transmitter inside the helmets, allowing the rider and pillion to converse - or riders on different bikes, presuming sufficient proximity and the same frequency. I don't remember where the battery pack went, but it's possible it was a separate box that sat inside the jacket, hence this.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I'm not sure I'd want to put a phone all the way at the bottom, I'd rather have it in a higher pocket so I dont have to unzip the jacket all the way to get it. Maybe for an mp3 player ?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou